Change permissions to be based upon age-verification

These are the same company and only ask for verification for 18+ material.

This is required, I believe.

This is totally dependent on your country + it’s not on the list of supported identification for Roblox.

1 Like

You probably already answered this, but would you need to pass post approval and verify your age to rank up? Or do you just need to take a picture of your ID?

2 Likes

Look, I get you probably don’t want “new developers” like me on the forums. I’m 99% sure that, along with the <13 audience, is who you’re targeting here. Just here to say that isn’t Roblox meant to be a ‘safe’ platform where privacy is respected? You didn’t have to provide your real name, even; now we’re jumping to uploading your personal ID?

No matter what happens, unless it’s to facilitate a real-world transaction, I am never, ever, ever going to upload such personal information. Sorry, but simply no. I also really think that a far more elegant solution is possible. Just my 2 cents

5 Likes

No. It only asks you if you’ve been identified as an <13 user, have you ever used discord?

2 Likes

No, I mean it’s required that Discord must do this if you were reported as under 13.

1 Like

Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, I feel like that’s how all of these systems should be.

2 Likes

You’re being offended over something that has not been implied in the post at all. No matter what kind of dev you are, it really targets everyone.

Can you suggest one then? Out of everything that has been suggested since the Regulars promotion have been locked behind a working relation with corporate, this one seems like the most viable solution.

1 Like

Just FYI it is a legal requirement to not allow -13 users. Not my fault, or Roblox’s fault, but from a law called COPPA.

I joined this forum knowing nothing about Roblox development, but with a vested interest to learn about it. This has nothing to do with restricting new developers.

1 Like

Keep in mind I’m not suggesting ranks-- suggesting that TL2 is repurposed to a Verified role and giving those users more permissions. The photo ID part is handled on the Roblox site, through the official announcement.

(essentially, yes, but also no).

2 Likes

I’m not ‘offended’ by the post. I was referring to the ‘common players’ part of the original post. I likely misinterpreted; apologies in advance if so.

Anyways, a more elegant solution is difficult. I don’t have one for the moment, but we don’t need to reinvent the wheel either. Plenty of other platforms don’t require ID for this kind of thing; see Steam, Unity, Xbox, and way, way more.

As for COPPA, I’m aware of the rule; but I don’t think this is truly a concern, as the main Roblox website has its own handling systems for this already. If their system is not good enough for COPPA, we likely have bigger problems. Any changes in my opinion should mirror that of the main website, but hey, we’ll see.

Point is, we should look at and take cues from other platforms as an alternative to this clearly unpopular move. If they can do it, so can we

Unless you would like to see a chat filter on here, and many other restrictions, yes, it is a concern.

2 Likes

Solid point. Again, though, we should probably at least take a look at how other platforms manage this

1 Like

If you’re a regular user that isn’t interested in development and doesn’t want to be interested, you got no business here and should not be here. It is called a developer forum and not player forum for a reason.

So essentially you got nothing in exchange and you’re talking about something you know nothing of. Those companies ask for ID if the user is reported to be a minor. They have to legally do it under COPPA, which speaking of.

It is a huge concern actually. Roblox doesn’t have any safe guards in place as they don’t allow minors under 13 here to begin with. So unless you want to find a better place for your development needs because of how unusable the forum would become, I wouldn’t throw it to the back seat.

1 Like

So essentially you got nothing in exchange and you’re talking about something you know nothing of. Those companies ask for ID if the user is reported to be a minor.

I’m not going to argue for the sake of arguing and I’m not going to pretend I know everything. Having used all of the platforms I mentioned, however, I used them as examples.

But…

Those companies ask for ID if the user is reported to be a minor.

There’s your (or at least a possible) solution. That’s precisely what I mean by taking cues from other companies.

It still doesn’t really solve the issue presented by the OP. Roblox can’t really take ques from other companies since the issue is purely a Roblox one.

This is just false. Roblox makes more than enough money to be sustainable with or without this change. The only thing it does is open up possibilities for new features or access to a more mature content from within roblox itself if/when it releases its own age rating system.

If they change features that already exist to require id card, then yes that is a way of forcing people to use it.

And you support large corporations stepping over the consumer? Very very concerning if you want to be a developer.

6 Likes

Breh you don’t use a fishing ID to pay taxes :rofl: . According to what I found out in the US, they use SSN, EIN, ITIN etc etc to pay taxes. Suggest you research before answering.

P.S. I Fishing license don’t exist in our country.

When I joined the forums, I had no development interest. Your expecting people to join forums only if they have development interest? Puh-leese half the people joined for no interest in development. They got it later on.

Restricting is more harmful than helpful. Found a under 13? Report it to DET. They’ll take action. There isn’t a reason for you to get worked up over a platform. Everywhere under 13s are found. You make it sound like the issue is very serious.

Please mention a platform where under 13s aren’t found.

2 Likes

Suggest you research before answering. At some point we had to prove we lived in [my area], which we did with a fishing license. Bureaucracy ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Yes? It’s a Developer forum, not a player forum. You’re exactly right.

Do you want to restrict that? Seems pretty selfish to do that. There can be many aspiring developers, being stopped just because they aren’t able to prove they’re 13+ without an ID verify for a public forum.