Change permissions to be based upon age-verification

Absolutely disagree with you here, age verification is too far. If DevForum was restricted to 18+ then it would make more sense but many 13 year olds do not have a form of identification and some parents aren’t going to be comfortable giving their ID to a multi-billion dollar gaming company.

I’d rather not be limited to 2 categories, what’s the point of being a DevForum member if you are just going to be given 2 categories?

Absolutely agreed, this just isn’t the way to block out under 13s. There’s no way that you can really block under 13s out, what’s stopping people from asking their parents to use their ID?

And we can’t trust the ‘third party’ that Roblox is working with.

It would be even dumber if it was a requirement for DevEx, YouTube content creators don’t have to provide any ID so why should Roblox developers have to?

Don’t want to go too off-topic but why can’t the IRS just tax the full 30%, I didn’t have to provide an SSN with YouTube Monetisation?

Doesn’t Google just ask for a debit/credit card?

3 Likes

You can get a valid ID as a 13 year old with your parents permission. I’ve had a passport since I was 2.

Technically speaking, you get 3 being a TL1 member already. There wouldn’t be any changes happening, really.

Can you prove it? If you go through the 3rd party’s reviews, all of them are positive besides the ones that talk about customer support which we won’t be using.

Yea you don’t need one unless you’re monetizing your channel. Then you need the same information that you give for Devex.

Passports are available to all ages here as far as I remember, they do cost a bit though (£60)

I’m guessing birth certificates will be allowed

I know Development Discussion is a toxic place but there is plenty of interesting topics.

ID isn’t required for monetised channels neither is a TIN/SSN/NIN

Well, maybe for the Europeans it isn’t needed. Here in the US, you’re pretty much required to provide this information.

1 Like

Why not? If you don’t trust them, you shouldn’t trust anyone else then. Nothing about them makes them untrustworthy. Why would Roblox make a deal with someone with bad intentions?

Actually, not really. Age verification is to make sure the user is above 13. Any under 13 user who makes a fake account that says they are over thirteen could DevEx. With this new system coming, it will likely be used in the future, to gain access to the most important privileges for those +13, (VC, more mature games, likely DevEx). I get it, it’s new and weird, but it is the future and it is coming soon.

Just FYI, SSN is much more valuable to give away than ID. ID can give away… your name and picture. SSN can give away your entire identity…

And I assure you YouTube is not going to give away creator awards and money away to some anonyms person on the internet, you have to provide some sort of verification you are a real person.

Keyword from the blog post: “likeness”. You’ll need to use your own ID with a picture of you, this is why you need to take a selfie.

1 Like

Not to get back into this whole debacle, but this does nothing. They’re talking about people asking parents to use their ID. The parent would just take a selfie

1 Like

Normal times I would agree, but most countries don’t issue a ID to 13+ and only 18. This just means roblox dev Forum will have a drastically less people using it if this gets implemented.

The only thing I know that needs this verification is voice chat and I don’t want to verify my age because I don’t have a ID and I don’t want to use voice chat…

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure if they’re 13+, they have school IDs, this isn’t a valid excuse, and the reason for this is not “selfishness” it’s to avoid children entering this forum which is strictly 13+, as these ages normally have been developing and 12 below may end up trashing this forum with whatever nonsense topic.

So, technically you already accept the fact #development-discussion is already a dumping ground, and not worth of securing against bad actors who use it like a category for a public forum? The situation in #development-discussion already inflamed a lot to happen around here in the Developer Forum, and if there’s no strict rule imposition, the Developer Forum would turn into a public forum, and most of your “interesting topics” are mostly trash discussion which just invites non-developers to this forum.

I believe if a school ID could be valid, however, again, to those below 13+'s IDs would just get rejected.

Exactly, it’s to keep out non-developers entering this forum, the means of lessing the people who uses this forum also gives a bigger tendency to get rid of non-developers using this forum. If you aren’t aware of the #development-discussion category’s present situation, people are trashing it with whatever discussions they could think of, which is not related to development, and this goes against what’s the true purpose of the Developer Forum.

2 Likes

BUT will they accept school IDs?

2 Likes

I’m not exactly sure because I’m not staff, if you’re aware, however, I do believe they would accept school IDs because of the fact it still represents your identification, name, and birthday.

1 Like

Anyways check this image

Taken from the official blog it clearly says you need a government issued ID and school ID aren’t classified as that.

That depends on the country you’re in. One of them is Poland. It has all information to be classified as one.

But not everyone lives in poland nor is every country poland. Honestly just keep voice chat for age verification

Yes, I am aware of that. I was just debunking your argument :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look at this image I found

You heavily misunderstood me… and you completely don’t understand how government IDs work as well as the verification. Verification with a government ID is a country by country basis. It might not be a thing in India or the US but could be in different countries.

2 Likes

So I didnt really read this entire thread, way too long. But I did skim through it a bit to understand what is being said. And my take on this is that there should not be a Legal ID requirement for permission to post comments to topics or create topics. Instead I suggest it being some sort of vetting process which is how it was at the beginning.

While I do agree that the DevForum should be developer focused and not turn into some sort of place for the average player to hang out and chit chat and post on threads that they want to give their opinion on even if they dont really know much about the topic, but its not that easy to differentiate between a normal player and a beginner developer (especially a young developer) other than their motivation to actually develop content on Roblox.

And I suggest a solution to this is to have some sort of loyalty rating where if you don’t really post positive contributing content to the topic and especially going off topic way too much, then you would be abusing the purpose of the DevForum as a place for reasonable development feedback and your rating will lower. And if it lowers to a certain point you will lose posting privileges.

But for now all we can do is just report comments/threads as off topic and be on our way. The moderators of this forum do a good job keeping the peace where needed, at least in the categories that I frequent.

1 Like

And the amount of info on this is way too much for what Roblox needs.

And what’s to say that these aren’t biased.

They could be. I don’t know that but neither do you. I did research tho and that company has not been involved in any id leaks since it’s inception so I guess this also speaks for itself but what do I know, I am just the big mean oppressor that wants higher quality posts on the forum :man_shrugging:

Yes, because Roblox who is based in the US, announcing this to their US audience will let them know what is acceptable. Stop trying to argue for the sake of arguing.

1 Like

Oh I already got an ID. This is the first thing you should do as soon as you hit the legal age. If you can’t afford one as an adult, you’re either very irresponsible with money or you can just loan the money from someone who’s willing. I’m not talking ID for roblox but in general. This is a very important to have.

2 Likes