Change the mouse lock toggle button

Mouse lock isn’t something people constantly switch in and out of. It doesn’t make sense to use such a valuable button as shift to toggle it, especially when almost every game with a sprint key uses shift.

There really doesn’t even need to be an option to disable the toggle button if you move it to something that never gets used, like backslash or minus.

When the new camera/controls goes out, you’ll be able to modify this, as everything to do with shift lock was ported to lua. You’ll be able to change what key is used, or even change the icon. Also the EnableMouseLockOption bool under StarterPlayer will actually work with the new system, so you can turn it off for your game.

For the sake of consistency it would still be nice to have a default that’s more out-of-the way so you don’t have to relearn it whenever you go to a game that uses the shift key.

Yup, I’d suggest the key that is directly below the ESC key.

AFAIK, that key isn’t being used for anything, and I highly doubt that there is anyone using that key for their games.

[quote]

Yup, I’d suggest the key that is directly below the ESC key.

AFAIK, that key isn’t being used for anything, and I highly doubt that there is anyone using that key for their games. [/quote]

Actually that button opens the backpack.

1 Like

Aww man.

What about the ‘]’ key? That’s nice and out of the way.

If it’s ] then it might as well be one key over and be \ instead. That’s a pretty easy key to find and no one ever uses it for anything.

[quote] Aww man.

What about the ‘]’ key? That’s nice and out of the way. [/quote]

Yeah, that one’s free.

How would that map out to European people though? We have slightly different keyboard layouts:

[spoiler]

Excuse the lots of symbols. That’s generally how a QWERTY European keyboard looks, though.[/spoiler]

[quote] How would that map out to European people though? We have slightly different keyboard layouts:

[spoiler]

Excuse the lots of symbols. That’s generally how a QWERTY European keyboard looks, though.[/spoiler] [/quote]

There’s a \ key next to the Z though

[quote] How would that map out to European people though? We have slightly different keyboard layouts:

[spoiler]

Excuse the lots of symbols. That’s generally how a QWERTY European keyboard looks, though.[/spoiler] [/quote]

There’s a \ key next to the Z though[/quote]

Thats why I suggested the ‘]’ key, because on US and UK/EU layout keyboards its well out of the way of normal hotkeys.

[quote] [quote=“FiniteReality” post=147592]How would that map out to European people though? We have slightly different keyboard layouts:

[spoiler]

There’s a \ key next to the Z though[/quote]

Thats why I suggested the ‘]’ key, because on US and UK/EU layout keyboards its well out of the way of normal hotkeys.[/quote]

And pretty much in the same place. Consistency FTW!