Changes to the Featured Games Sort

Your game has to be satisfying content for a YouTube video. Needs a ‘wow’ factor (example; crazy item rewards or crates) and needs to stick to common ground for their audience COUGH COUGH simulators COUGH COUGH. Most YouTubers will play on their own choice since they fill daily content, but if not you can try give them unique codes/admin/OP items in your game so they can at least use those to fill half the video content. I have no clue if emailing or twitter gives you better results with them.

1 Like

They don’t even respond to negotiate terms on giving them items :joy:

2 Likes

They probably would respond if you offered to pay them, since these big YouTubers get dozens of promotion and sponsorship emails every day that offer them real money.

2 Likes

I’m hoping something is implemented to avoid this becoming another popularity tab… otherwise games with high engagement will just continuously get featured each cycle. I’m sure they’ll counteract this somehow though

1 Like

How can I start a petition because that will consist a link?

1 Like
8 Likes

I believe there should be a better way for new and original games to be featured. This will just feature existing games which are already doing well for themselves.

4 Likes

The problem is that Roblox’s site is overrun by popular Simulators. The term has gotten a reputation of sloppy games because a lot of them are simple clicker games; however, Roblox can’t ignore that this is what their fans are playing. The fact that they are so popular show that they have a large audience of players, regardless of some of their quality, so I do believe Simulator is a needed category as that is a big part of their platform right now. By ignoring it, they are not supporting all of their audience.

With that being said, I am a bit biased as I am one of the creators of Ghost Simulator, but there are some quality simulators out there. Bee Swarm is really well designed. Bubblegum, although is simple in thought, is actually really addicting at times. Either way, yes Roblox is encouraging a type of game that takes less efforts for some developers, but denying that it is a large part of the platform isn’t the best idea. If anything, I think this will encourage more people to put effort into their games to get them through the feature sort.

5 Likes

How’s small developers supposed to get featured? Isn’t this just popular tab v2? Is the use of early technology (Rthro etc) still something to submit for and get featured for?

7 Likes

I see Roblox is taking notes from Youtube now. Thats disappointing, there goes the point of my hard work to meet the criteria if there’s no point applying now.

3 Likes

This is a really valid point, the under-dogs should be showcased here.

I’m hoping we’ll be able to submit games to be featured manually in the future again. I hope this changes.

6 Likes

Seriously, that’s not the changes I have been waiting for the featured sort. Even Jailbreak is now featured.

Now, developers who need a popularity boost for their game will have a smaller chance of being featured than the old featured process (even if their chances were thin with the old process). What a deception. :frowning:

13 Likes

I guess ill just have to hope for the best then :stuck_out_tongue: Current have 40 likes to 3 dislikes and 1k visits on my new game, was about to put a submission up but then I see they’ve taken submissions down lol

EDIT: IDK what the heck happened but now it has 20k visits and 160 likes lmao

EDIT 2: Wow ok so my game did get featured lmao

2 Likes

Really hate to see it be changed like this. Totally disheartening for younger, newer developers.

4 Likes

I know it’s been a while since this change but I felt like trying out some new games today. I decided to check out the good ol’ featured sort, but I found it to be completely useless:

Not only are there games in here that are already popular and thus shouldn’t be featured, there are literally free model low-effort games that essentially break 100% of the old Featured sort’s guidelines.

I really don’t like this change, even from a player perspective. Will anything be done to expose players to high-quality games that aren’t necessarily popular?

11 Likes

I like the idea, but…

If new players are looking on the Games page for games to play, the games are sorted based on popularity, and in addition to the removal of advertisements from the Games page, it’s going to be harder for newer developers (like me) to introduce their games to players who might enjoy them.

2 Likes

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

On the other hand, I have a new game that is around 80% approval, and the new Roblox featured sort algorithm did not notice it, and it did not get featured.

It is extremely hard to build a game population without being featured, yet the new algorithms are based on the game popularity. I am at a loss on how to overcome this. I am now sitting on a quality game, with high approval, yet it is not noticed by the Roblox new sorting algorithms.

1 Like

In my opinion, this change was not needed. Currently, this only features games that are already popular.

Smaller developers now have no chance at gaining popularity. Ads and sponsorships make it impossible to gain popularity without dumping thousands of robux, and now the only option to get to the front page is using rthro, which many developers (including myself) do not believe in. Please reconsider this update.

5 Likes

I think there is enough interest in this topic that I have added a feature request for Roblox to provide a fair way to get new games featured:

5 Likes

I fully agree. So many quality games get drowned in the endless stream of content (and now, botted games are becoming a widespread issue, which is only making the situation worse), games that deserve recognition and players, because it is so difficult to get anywhere on this platform with no money. So many developers pour hours upon hours of work to craft amazing experiences and yet they get nothing from it. It is disheartening for everyone, especially for the developer.

8 Likes