Changes to the Games Sort Order

I like this update, it really does help out the little guys.

7 Likes

I would really love ways for new games to surface, possibly a rising category, with featured being at the top it seems hard for new games to get there and I feel could crush games trying to get a spot on the front page.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying this

Jokes aside, this will help surface a ton of new & cool games. It will also encourage dual-language games.

1 Like

There is a submission to get your game featured, and they do look at new games more than old ones.

1 Like

Err… But the popular sort already does this by letting players decide with play sessions? This looks like an awkward attempt to fill a non-existent gap that is already being filled by sponserships and ads. I hope the move going forward isn’t to push curated games down everyone’s throats.

25 Likes

I’m intrigued that Roblox is open to changing the games page, making it less stagnate to surface more and more games throughout the day/weeks should be a goal of this.

I still think it’s a very unwelcome change to put anything above Popular. I never would even think about that as an idea for improving the games page. The end goal for most games seems to be appear as high as possible on popular to gain more audience and continue developing your game to your ultimate vision, using advertising, or free advertising means from other game sorts, and good game design to get there.

There could be better sorts for showing off games of the platform that does not rely on constant updating and curating like the new featured sort is going to take. One of those ideas that a lot of people have showed support for is a sort that takes the top 50-300ish games of popular at any given time, and puts them all into groupings so every game gets front page showcase time for a specific amount of time a day as long as they stay within the (admittedly arbitrary) placements

31 Likes

I still firmly believe popular should always be the first sort, as having “featured” be the handpicked selection being the first thing you see almost dictates what you believe should be on the page, which is unfair towards any developer who has worked hard to maintain a spot on the popular section of the front page.

In other words, don’t fix what isn’t broke?

16 Likes

This isn’t a good change. Popular should be at the top because the most popular games (things that players like and enjoy), are what they’re playing and what players usually want to play when they get online. I get giving less popular creators an opportunity with the featured sort, but making it harder for players to find the games that they enjoy is not the way to approach it. I hope for a change back to the original sort. Players like what they like and they choose what they like by playing it.

22 Likes

I believe popular-near-you is designed to enhance the platform for players from non-english speaking countries. Players generally spend more time in games they understand, therefore more visible translated games means a greater audience of players from other countries. It might not have much impact in the USA, UK, etc but it does for Roblox globally.

4 Likes

This is pretty bad tbh.
I think this would be much better.

15 Likes

Yeah, not a fan of this. I mean, if the featured games are good enough, they’ll become more popular anyway. This feels like that (less engaging, potentially less fun) gameplay is being forced on people.

10 Likes

The problem is currently they are experimenting with only featuring the top 250 games of the popular sort, so it is not even doing the job of giving less popular creators an opportunity. It is a repeat of the popular sort but with significantly less games, cut down and staff curated and only updated by staff on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Which will probably prove to have made the games page more stagnate than before.

They need to automate what they’re currently trying to do with the featured sort with the “top 250” games using something like this idea and they need to put the featured sort back to giving new game concepts or potentially upcoming games a chance

7 Likes

Even with this change I don’t support it. As you said, it makes games harder to increase and players and “blow up”. Having the featured sort be only the top 250 games and be the #1 spot will make it harder for games to reach within the top 250 because they are literally unable to get on the sort until on popular for weeks. Still unencourages competition and capitalism. They shouldn’t fix something that isn’t broken. The popular sort being the first one is perfectly fine and doesn’t need to be changed and I’m still in favor of the featured sort giving smaller creators a chance at reaching their full potential.

4 Likes

Was about to make a post saying this, yes the sort you posted is a lot better and the popular should’ve remained at the top.

4 Likes

I like the drive to change up the sorts, although I don’t agree with putting Featured on top.

Imo the top sort should be some form of competitive sort that isn’t curated, such as Popular or Top Earning. Per-region is fine!

8 Likes

Most people like the popular sort like me.
Is there a way to turn this mode off or something? I honestly hate the new sort

4 Likes

I’m excited to see where this goes, I’ve always thought that the Featured section should be apparent without the need to scroll down to the section, as it’s supposed to be the best Roblox has for the month.

I’m hoping players won’t assume this has to do with the website error a few days prior, where games sections didn’t show up properly. Who knows though. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

When you’re finished please revert back to popular page on top, if the popular page wasn’t on top it would ruin so many things

4 Likes

I don’t really understand why Roblox even has a “Popular near you” section. Do they mean in my city, state, country? I suppose it’s meant to match up players that live in the same region so there won’t be language barriers and such, but it’s a little too vague.

5 Likes

There hasn’t been a misleading game on the front page in like a month everything about this change is stupid

2 Likes