Changes to the Games Sort Order

A age rating system? But what would 13+ games be. I kindly disagree. Here’s why:

I’ve once sent ROBLOX a email saying if they can change my Date Of Birth. It was because I was hacked and someone changed it and put a pin on my account. (Long time ago) They said that since they don’t know my real age they can’t help. (I got my old DOB back though) So since the fact people can fake there age, don’t think that will happen. But it would be cool.

1 Like

Not trying to start a conversation about it here lol.

I just remember during one of the RDC 18 panels there was discussion about it.

3 Likes

Wasn’t there a problem with old ROBLOX games being on the featured page? For emails I went to the site and found this

It’s a old game, created 2016 and was 3rd on featured. So maybe you shouldn’t push features unless they are changing it and there was an update I missed?

2 Likes

Featured games are only added through an application process…

14 Likes

Interesting change, will be looking forward to how this will impact certain games and their user counts.

Personally I feel that moving popular near you above top rated would not really help bring new users to a game as I’ve noticed most of the games are similar to the popular category. However creating new categories or moving other caregories may spike user counts in certain games. Will be following along to see whether or not this change will have positive impact.

Also I feel like clarifying that this isn’t a April Fools joke makes me believe it is one. :joy:

5 Likes

Most people that I’ve contacted and asked about the “Popular Near You” category say that they get the same results as the “Popular” category. I say scrap it.

6 Likes

While it seems like a good idea, it seems like this will make it harder for developers to tell what’s actually most popular among different demographics without making alternate accounts.

5 Likes

ha!!! you fooled me, just kidding around. yeah, there are some games on other categories that are obby scams for robux and etc, and some are still recommended there and one of the other creators who had made one those games are gone so…or banned. i seen them and it’s scattered around. just a little heads up on this… and by the way, i do like the change, too. it’s great and it helps a lot.

3 Likes

This doesn’t do anything to promote new games. “Popular Near You” is literally the exact same as “Popular” (In the USA. I understand how a sort like this could be beneficial in another country) and featured games already had their own section.

Roblox should consider replacing “Popular Near You” with a sort that actually helps new games get visible.

17 Likes

Or they could change it state-wide if possible for the US. Then the popular near you sorting would differ slightly from popular, although it wouldn’t have many (if any) new games added most likely.

5 Likes

I mean that’s still next-to-useless. Why do I care what’s popular in my neighboring state? There’s a 99% chance it will be the exact same.

3 Likes

I like this update, it really does help out the little guys.

7 Likes

I would really love ways for new games to surface, possibly a rising category, with featured being at the top it seems hard for new games to get there and I feel could crush games trying to get a spot on the front page.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying this

Jokes aside, this will help surface a ton of new & cool games. It will also encourage dual-language games.

1 Like

There is a submission to get your game featured, and they do look at new games more than old ones.

1 Like

Err… But the popular sort already does this by letting players decide with play sessions? This looks like an awkward attempt to fill a non-existent gap that is already being filled by sponserships and ads. I hope the move going forward isn’t to push curated games down everyone’s throats.

25 Likes

I’m intrigued that Roblox is open to changing the games page, making it less stagnate to surface more and more games throughout the day/weeks should be a goal of this.

I still think it’s a very unwelcome change to put anything above Popular. I never would even think about that as an idea for improving the games page. The end goal for most games seems to be appear as high as possible on popular to gain more audience and continue developing your game to your ultimate vision, using advertising, or free advertising means from other game sorts, and good game design to get there.

There could be better sorts for showing off games of the platform that does not rely on constant updating and curating like the new featured sort is going to take. One of those ideas that a lot of people have showed support for is a sort that takes the top 50-300ish games of popular at any given time, and puts them all into groupings so every game gets front page showcase time for a specific amount of time a day as long as they stay within the (admittedly arbitrary) placements

31 Likes

I still firmly believe popular should always be the first sort, as having “featured” be the handpicked selection being the first thing you see almost dictates what you believe should be on the page, which is unfair towards any developer who has worked hard to maintain a spot on the popular section of the front page.

In other words, don’t fix what isn’t broke?

16 Likes

This isn’t a good change. Popular should be at the top because the most popular games (things that players like and enjoy), are what they’re playing and what players usually want to play when they get online. I get giving less popular creators an opportunity with the featured sort, but making it harder for players to find the games that they enjoy is not the way to approach it. I hope for a change back to the original sort. Players like what they like and they choose what they like by playing it.

22 Likes

I believe popular-near-you is designed to enhance the platform for players from non-english speaking countries. Players generally spend more time in games they understand, therefore more visible translated games means a greater audience of players from other countries. It might not have much impact in the USA, UK, etc but it does for Roblox globally.

4 Likes