Changes to the Popular Sort

Maybe leaving popular how it was and adding a new category on top for this new functionality would be the best course. I’d be interested in seeing both without having to change a setting.

11 Likes

To add to your idea, maybe replacing “Popular Near You” with “Popular in your Age Group” and leaving the regular popular unchanged?

12 Likes

Yes please! I’ve personally never used the ‘popular near you’ sort.

7 Likes

I agree with this, too. My games typically cater to an audience much younger than myself, and I want to see what’s popular overall as this feels too forced and classed.

4 Likes

It would be nice if there was a way to choose our own filter. A dropdown with some checkboxes of what to sort and filter by similar to online retail websites could be a solution.

As others have said, as a developer, I want to be able to see what games have a lot of players on each platform so that I can use that information in designing my next game to fit current trends.

6 Likes

Not to mention it has no mentions of what is considered “near”
None of the “popular near you” is different from popular anyways.

14 Likes

This is a nice change, but I would prefer to have the regular popular sort and a sort of “Popular for your age”.

8 Likes

My roommate @FearMeIAmLag literally just mentioned this to me :joy:

To add, ‘Popular Near You’ isn’t very specific. I believe it’s country based and not region based, so living on the Eastern coast of the US we see the popular near you for ALL of the US, and not just the eastern coast.

5 Likes

I check the games page daily to see what players are playing with the intent to study and take what is trending and implement it into my own games.

Being forced to only see what my own age group is playing/likes is very bad and will hide me from very significant information that I need to know.

8 Likes

When I think “near me” I think within 100 miles, maybe even 250 miles. Not the whole dang US.

8 Likes

I might be wrong. Just looked back and those numbers seem quite low to be the entire US :man_shrugging:

Its definitely by country, and you can see the difference if you go in settings and change your country setting.

1 Like

Weird. The US stats seem quite low. See @GeorgeOfAIITrades’s screenshot above.

1 Like

Really wish we could toggle out of this and for it to be off by default. Generally like slower/friendlier games that are more popular with younger age groups and i’m seeing them way lower than I should be now. Not to mention I prefer to make games for the younger age groups and it’s hard to see whats trending and whats not at a glance. Not to mention that despite my games being targeted towards younger audiences, the older ones still account for about half of my revenue. If they’re getting a hit on seeing the game it won’t be helpful for new users to discover what we have to offer.

9 Likes

It’s Thursday at Noon Eastern, and 9 am Pacific. All the kiddos at school, so of course America is low right now, lol.

2 Likes

Ah true. I forgot it was a school day. #collegelife

2 Likes

Jinxed, and also, I would assume that the population is also spread out on a good 200 other games with like 50 to 100 players. Adding them all up together could get you to above like 70k

What you mean, I’m in college too and I’m sitting in class as we speak. College has the same school days lol

1 Like

It depends on what days you have your classes. Different for everyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Besides, finals are over for me so I’m just sitting here doing nothing :slight_smile:

1 Like