Changing the default in-game mouse pointer

We have had the classic mouse pointer for a long time now. Ever since Roblox added Premium and removed Builders’ Club and changed the in-game UI, the platform got more “modern”. Here is what the current pointer looks like:

I think this could be replaced with something more modern and we could possibly get a new shape. This isn’t hard to work with/it does not bother me, but now that we have a new revamp with way more features, it would be cool to reform/reshape the cursor.

I thought this would be a cool idea to replace the current pointer with:

Obviously, it’s not going to be green. I just made it that color so it would be easier to see as some people have themes on their browsers.
Anyways, the round pointer has more of a modern look to it than the one we currently have and I think it would improve the in-game experience in a visual way. Obviously, it could be modified.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because …
It would have no impact on the gameplay or scripts, it’s simply visual and it has a sleek look. I don’t think anyone is having issues with their pointer, either.

Well, that’s it from me. Thank you very much for reading, and if you want to share this with your friends, you can. Thank you for your time and I appreciate every single person on Roblox for being part of such a great community.

Stay safe guys, and happy pride month! :rainbow_flag: :love_you_gesture: :fist:

2 Likes

I think the current mouse pointer looks modern enough. Sure, it has stayed with us for a long time, but unless it’s really needed, you don’t need to change it. The example you gave barely looks like a cursor. I’d think that the younger audience would have a hard time getting used to it. The most they can do to further modernize the icon is to just round the corners of the current one (but even this isn’t necessary, really), not replace it with something completely new.

10 Likes

Yeah I don’t think a new default icon is necessary. If you really wanted this though you can set the PlayerMouse.Icon property yourself to use your icon. I wouldn’t want a green raindrop as the default icon.

4 Likes

It’s green to make it more visible to see in the post because some people have Chrome themes and obviously it’s going to have to be modified or reshaped if Roblox will actually use it.

1 Like

Obviously that exact pointer will not be used. If Roblox decides to change their cursor or take inspiration from my shape, they will probably modify it so it has a “point” and so that the younger audience can recognize it as a pointer.

I still don’t see the use case for changing the default icon tho. If you really wanted this you could just change it for yourself. I don’t see why Roblox should change it when there is API for changing it already.

I think everyone knows it is a mouse cursor?

2 Likes

It’s green to make it more visible to see in the post because some people have Chrome themes and obviously it’s going to have to be modified or reshaped if Roblox will actually use it. Please read my previous replies and the post fully before commenting.

There was very little to read in the first place so don’t assume I didn’t. Thanks. You still have yet to provide a strong use case for this, literally if you want a different icon for your game add it yourself. I see no reason for Roblox to update the default one when we can already change it ourselves.

2 Likes

It’s a suggestion. Obviously users can just set it themselves but the reason I posted here was because it was a suggestion. Please do not reply any further as I will not be needing any more feedback.

2 Likes