Character animations randomly stop working on other clients

Issue Type: Display
Impact: Very High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced:
Date Last Experienced:

Reproduction Steps:
This issue seems to happen when an animation is played on the client after a different animation finished playing on the server (and vice versa?). I’m not 100% sure about this, but it started happening ever since we moved a few server animations to client scripts.
We don’t have a repro since it happens randomly and requires 2 real players, but I’m sure it happens more often to players with high latency (or during lag spikes).

Expected Behavior:
Animations should not conflict and stop working on other clients, regardless of their scripting scope (client/server).

Actual Behavior:
When this bug occurs, everything looks fine for the broken player. However, everyone else in the game won’t see any animations playing on their character. For a PvP game, this issue is very important.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/322936108671434753/816003618494480465/2c471m.mp4
In this video, animations kept breaking back and forth. The first time they broke was after a server animation finished playing and the user attempted to play a client animation (0:04). His animations didn’t get fixed until the same server animation that broke him was played again (0:17), then shortly after they just randomly broke again.

Workaround:
There’s no workaround, sometimes they just start working again after a few seconds.

5 Likes

Duplicate, please refer to:

1 Like

Not the same issue.

• You can still see some of their animations playing. In my bug report, all the animations completely break.
  • I’m only playing 4 animations at most (1 on the server, 3 on the client). That bug only occurs when 10 or 18 animations are being played.
  • Even when I stop playing animations, they still remain broken on other clients. I think it only gets fixed when the same animation that broke the character gets played again.

Hello. The video file seems to be broken. Can you please re-upload? Thanks!

1 Like

Video fixed, thanks again! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

Any updates on this? The bug shows up a lot in my game and i’ve seen it in other games as well.

2 Likes

Hello! Engineers are aware of this issue. I will update the thread when new information will arrive.

1 Like

Any updates or fixes for this? This bug is happening consistently in my game and completely ruins the visuals of my combat system.

1 Like

Anything changes at all?? This has been happening to me for months now.

Same here. Please someone add on the discussion