Chat creates a lot of lag on mobile

(When I refer to lag, I mean frame drops)

• Describe the bug.

Whenever I play my game, or any game on mobile. It lags a lot whenever other people chat. I believe it lags before the text is filtered, as when I look at the message when I lag on mobile, it is shown as ____

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)?

This bug happens every time. To reproduce it, play a game on mobile and have people actively using chat.

Something to note: whenever messages are sent from another mobile device, it doesn’t lag as much as when a PC player sends something.

This needs to be addressed/rectified ASAP, as it makes players leave games on mobile devices.
My game is currently featured on mobile, this is when I first noticed it:

14 Likes

Default Roblox chat. I’m saying that Roblox needs to fix this.

5 Likes

That’s the point… Roblox players on mobile will be experiencing lots of frame drops when other people chat. So, they should fix this.

6 Likes

We are aware of this and have a fix in progress! Will update once the fix is out.

12 Likes

Hi, do you have an estimation when this will be fixed? It gives a very poor experience if you play on mobile or tablet, which in turn makes players leave.

3 Likes

I don’t – I don’t actually work on game chat. The last time I talked to someone on that team they mentioned that the fix will probably be in today or tomorrow for mobile (whenever the new mobile updates go out this week).

Let me pull in an engineer from that team to confirm – @Tiffblocks do you know where this ticket is?

4 Likes

We’re still waiting for the next client release, as well as on QA testing for the fix. Hopefully we’ll be able to enable the fix some time this week.

3 Likes

Hi, I know I’ve kind of gone on about this, but it’s been two weeks since the response. Is there any update on this? Thanks

2 Likes

There ended up being some problems with the fix and I haven’t had time to work on it. As soon as I have time, I’ll look into it again.

3 Likes

Hi, is there any update on this?

2 Likes

We pushed a change today that should hopefully help, although it didn’t seem to fix it completely.

4 Likes

Hi again. Do you know if there’s currently anything happening towards fixing this?

2 Likes

Hey. Any news on this? It is still creating a considerable amount of lag on mobile devices.

I also just noticed that if you enable the chat to be resized by the player, and resize it on mobile, it lags so much so I don’t move a single frame for a whole 3-6 seconds.

4 Likes

I found that the fix is actually right here behind a FFlag which isn’t enabled yet:

I was having the same problem in my game for the longest time, but when I commented out that FFlag check and allowed the fix to take effect, there were no more issues. Not sure why it’s not enabled by default yet.

5 Likes

It was enabled, but had to be turned off because it causes system messages to appear at the top of the chat log instead of in order with other messages.

I have a fixed version of the flag that should should go out when we resume client releases in January.

5 Likes

Is this issue fixed yet? I understand that it takes a while to fix bugs, but it’s February now.

3 Likes

The fix went into code review and fell through the cracks, I’ve picked it up again and it should be going live in 1-2 weeks.

2 Likes

Alright, sounds good!

1 Like

Yeah it has been happening to my samsung galaxy note 8 since 11/2/2018.

1 Like

For clarity, does that mean the 11th of February, or the 2nd of November?

There’s different date formats.

2 Likes