Chatting in Roblox shows the incorrect time

I started noticing this issue about a month ago.
When posting in a group, the time of the post created is off by 6 hours. As you can see in the image (bottom left, and top right), the time is incorrect. This happens in all groups. Is there a setting to change your time settings or something?

11 Likes

I can reproduce this - it’s quite a weird bug. I’d assume it displays the times in a certain timezone but I’ve checked and it’s not UTC, EST or EDT so maybe not. :thinking:

1 Like

I think it is set to a certain time in Europe, but I’m not sure which one.

2 Likes

So so weird maybe it’sa server thats handling all this type of info and that server is dictating the time of the page

I’ve seen that before as a default set-time

Is there a VPN or Proxy Network you are connected to?

I don’t think so. I have seen a few other people having issues with this as well.

Having issues too. Mines are on the group’s comment wall and group shout. Hopefully we can find a solution soon :slight_smile:

Having this same issue, also on the group shout. Haven’t chatted in a while so I will test it there when I can.

Mine is also off by 6 hours. I’m in PST, I posted at 11:52 PM Dec. 30th and it said 5:52 PM Dec. 30th. There is no timezone that is -14 hours from UTC (PST is -8 hours, given it states it was posted -6 hours from when I actually did, that’s -14).

Taking a look at the Posts request that Roblox makes to fetch the posts content of the Group Wall we can see that they store the timestamp in ISO Date format:

From this we can see that the server stored this timestamp at 1:52 am on Dec. 31st. For anybody who doesn’t know, Roblox commonly stores time related properties in the CST timezone. This perfectly lines up with CST since it is 2 hours ahead of PST, which from 11:52 PM on Dec. 30th would equal exactly 1:52 AM on Dec. 31st.

The issue here is that when they are localizing the timestamp they are localizing it as if the timestamp is in UTC and not CST. Which is why in my case it shows 5:52 PM, because it’s applying the -8 UTC offset to the CST timestamp (1:52 AM on the 31st - 8 hour UTC offset = 5:52 PM on the 30th).

So for any engineer that comes across this, that is the problem here and the solution is whatever you decide is best.

5 Likes

Thanks for that breakdown Bryce

Every timestamped thing on the Roblox website is set to specific timezones, however iirc they’re inconsistent as things like games are created/updated based on the time in California, while other things (ie this) might be based off CST (note: that’s just to my memory, I could be wrong)

In other words, it’s not the wrong time, it’s just shown without the context of what it’s anchored to.

1 Like

I also think that it is because roblox sets specific timezone

Hey everyone, really sorry for the late response here. We’ve found someone to look at this. We’ll post here when we have an update.

3 Likes

Just wanted to point out that I’ve reported this bug too and it had been addressed last month.

1 Like