Clarification on code flagged for safety review

I feel as though you are a bit too trusting, which is mildly concerning given the circumstances.

Someone in an above comment got terminated for having an in-game filter, yet the post clearly states:

Person’s Post:

My point here is that the person above had their account deleted for something that ROBLOX said
was allowed. Why should mine not be deleted for something ROBLOX said is allowed?

How does this help with anything? You are just moderating code not seen by anyone but the devs.

1 Like

This is where the problem lies (and is pretty much the basis of argument): closed-sourced scripts are not meant to be released or observed under any circumstances – yet Roblox is (and has been for god-knows-how-long without transparency until now) utilizing moderation resources to crack down on these private scripts.

Scripts that are uploaded and free to take are a whole other story. What use is it to deliberately moderate an account for code only meant for the developer(s) to see? This branch of moderation would be most appropriate for places which have gone open-source, or scripts that have recently been released into the public library.

I’m mentally exhausted that Roblox hadn’t bothered to help me with the appeal attempt on a mistake that I’ve made on my place an entire two months ago due to the issue of the topic on hand.

I’m old enough to be able to understand my feelings… How would someone under 13 feel about typing a bad word into Studio, publishing, and their entire account of assets, clothing, hats, and accessories are now taken away from them?

The fact that Roblox has never bothered commenting about this or even helped me with the appeal process, even messaging Roblox Staff on devforum got me nowhere as they all forwarded me to contact the appeal system or some random link to Roblox Developer Relations which will never get replied to is all going to make me have no other conclusion but to consider moving platforms if no resolution or reassurance is going to be made.

I’ve already lost one of my old accounts because my name ended up on an exploit website and lost one of my favorite hats, the Lua Top Hat.

Now I’m terminated again over something I’ve posted in my game.

Is this really what Roblox wants to be right now? I thought it was about powering imagination, not powering terminations.

3 Likes

I have no faith in the appeals system. Don’t bother telling me to try to contact appeals again.

4 Likes

From my point of view I’m worried because as we previously seen, no warnings are being given out. It’s just an imitate termination unlike what roblox said about them understand we’re all human and we make mistakes, which aggravates me because it’s them sugar coating a lie

7 Likes

ROBLOX needs to stop kicking around their developers. In the past, they have thought that the developers would blindly stand by them. And, they were right, however, this update has pushed many developers over the line.

Treat your developers well ROBLOX!

Also, I wanted to make this poll for more research:

• Agree with Announcement
  • Neutral
  • Disagree with Announcement

0 voters

2 Likes

Great, I’m now going to have to obfuscate all of my API keys so you can’t get to them. It’s private information and who knows what your ‘well trained staff’ will actually do with them. You have games on roblox created by people who could sometimes be making more money than some of your staff, who says they wont go rogue and start leaking API keys or spreading information to parties where that could get leaked? The API keys I use belong to some services which I pay money for and hold private scripts, I don’t want some random person I don’t know going and looking into all of my private analytics.

Not only that, but free models on the toolbox can contain swear words like I’ve seen but players don’t look at the scripts because they probably wouldn’t know how to change it anyway. You’d be banning thousands of accounts for having these harmless free models with variables with inappropriate names. The ONLY way these could be presented to a user is if they were exploiting, some prints had inappropriate content (which is filtered) OR the developer has done it deliberately. By doing this, you’re worrying about the exploiters who intentionally destroy other peoples gameplay and the game itself, just because you don’t want them seeing inappropriate things. If they deliberately go looking for it by exploiting and looking at clientscripts source, then that’s their own fault.

What is invisible to the player should not be moderated. You’re wasting your resources on this pointless moderation when you could be improving your current services and helping us with issues like exploiters anyway.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. The capitalistic “I don’t think I’ll get hit by this train so I’ll watch everyone else get hit by it, laugh, and take their place to reap profits.”

You really don’t see the problem with this change?

Try Godot. It’s free, wholly open sourced, and takes nothing from you in terms of royalties.

1 Like

I think this is okay, because an example of when this situation can be used is when Meep City got hacked and nobody was able to leave the game, Roblox needed the code to make sure that the situation were not to happen again.

BAH!

This is the exact thing I’ve been waiting to see for the PAST FOUR MONTHS. What happened exactly? In two games that I haven’t updated for roughly two months or more since that time, I was banned for 3 days (twice) because of “inappropriate strings” inside a game that YOU CANNOT PLAY. Seriously?

And to make it even worse, I’ve contacted the appeals team those same two times, and they’ve REFUSED to tell me what the string in question was. You simply can’t just outright ban a user for ANY amount of time because they have a vulgar reference inside their code that the public cannot see under any circumstance. It even applies to ACRONYMS that would mean entirely different things!

My suggestion? If you’re gonna take a look at somebody else’s code, you have absolutely no rights to terminate or ban the user for X amount of time. You say we’re human, yes? And us humans make mistakes, yes? Then let us FIX our mistakes by TELLING us what the string in question is, and only a WARNING at best.

This is just absurd.

5 Likes

But honestly how often does that happen, and that’s not the issue here.

3 Likes

What is the point of this really? And why say this just now when this was a thing months ago? Of course nobody is trusting this ‘specially-trained’ team.

• While there is no reason to obfuscate code, some people use it for good intentions to attempt to hide precious code. Will all obfuscated codes be automatically deemed malicious?

• Everyone else already mentioned that the developer(s) is/are the only one(s) who will be able to see the code. Making this even more redundant.

• If an exploiter comes across a bad word, they’re exploiting which is already against the rules. Was this update made to protect exploiters?
  • Aaaaand API keys. The fact that they can at least see them is concerning. Whether or not they will actually use them is a different story. I don’t care who is being assigned to see my code. I don’t want anyone, not even moderators, seeing it.

4 Likes

I completely agree. I don’t want some random admin from a “specially-trained” team seeing my code. If a “rogue admin” gets an API key, well, we all know what happens then.

4 Likes

What if a member from that “specially-trained” team gets fired/quits and starts leaking peoples code, You never know. This is why i am heavily against this update and considering quitting Roblox.

4 Likes

My point exactly! If a rogue admin decides to find a bunch of API keys and save them, they can quit or be fired, and then they can sell the keys, or use them.

1 Like

To add on/to clarify, what prevents this team from saving the scripts once this happens?

3 Likes

I’m kinda confused, I recently went through and emptied my old places out. I found an old place back from 2014 and found a custom filtering script with multiple cursing words in it, I haven’t been moderated. It’s possible this could only be for public games, but either way it is still confusing because our audience can’t see our scripts.

3 Likes

I don’t think they’re gonna moderate old places. It would be unfair to enforce a rule on now-rule-breaking scripts before this rule existed.

3 Likes