Clarification on code flagged for safety review

Regardless, Roblox should give a response. I agree that big name developers speaking out will definitely accelerate the process, but this is the third most replied to thread in Announcements… and it’s been 4 days.

2 Likes

This is not necessarily illegal, we agree to their terms. They stated in their terms they’re obligated to change it whenever and however.

1 Like

I’m sure Roblox makes them sign some form of legal documentation, as this would not only protect the developer but also Roblox themselves from… Incidents.

It would be a nightmare for Roblox PR if this did happen.

1 Like

Ok, so you decide to enforce a developers’ code just because they have an inappropriate word like? You have better stuff to do, instead of just enforcing code because little kids are swearing in it like?

I get that you want to protect others from inappropriate words. I get that you want to do a safety review.

Sometimes I see robux advertisements til’ today, and you just come here to moderate code too?

6 Likes

I have a script that censors inappropriate license plate combinations so they aren’t generated by the script. Can I be punished for having these inappropriate words spelled out in the script? You say you won’t ban us for adding an additional layer to the chat filter yet other users have been terminated for doing that exact thing!

How can we trust you guys that this will not overcomplicate us trying to develop games when your chat system filter STILL censors words and complete sentences that are not inappropriate!

I am tired of seeing other developers getting banned for false positives.

PLEASE address the issues of the existing moderation system before you expand it! It would make our lives so much easier!

6 Likes

If the “automatic” filter is even CLOSE to as bad as the Chat filter is, this will be a complete disaster and developers will leave this platform faster than you’ve ever seen before.

Sure, review code before it’s uploaded as a free model or when games are uncopylocked. Maybe even team create. But if it’s a project that I created, BY MYSELF, and NOBODY BUT ME is going to see the code, what possible purpose could this serve besides making a bad moderation system even worse?

Get out of here with that crap.

6 Likes

Would you get in trouble for having an Trello API?

1 Like

While, yes it is true we do agree for Roblox to use our UGC we do not grant them permission to alter, change or edit the code in anyway. The wording is worded so that If something is made on Roblox, they have the permission to continue to use it as you have agreed to license it TO Roblox. However, nowhere does it say they can edit, alter or change the original code of the content itself.

Roblox need permission to edit, change or alter your code in anyway as they only have the license to use, not change.

3 Likes

If we are going by with what Roblox has stated, which is that Scripts are subject to the ToS, then yes, as it’s a link going off-site to a website not allowed by Roblox.

2 Likes

I generally feel that this is incredibly needless and does more bad than good, similar to the censorship issue with the search bar. Who’s going to read my code in a non-team create game? Exploiters? Oh lord, think of the 10 year olds with Synapse X! Shield their eyes, for I have put in a note containing vulgar language! I get why this would exist in a team create environment, but there’s simply no reason to censor it if the game is made solo. Why censor something only Roblox staff, the actual developer, and exploiters (who are already breaking ToS regardless) can see?

Seriously, it was bad enough having the Roblox player search bar censored (Which nobody else can read regardless, and it happens all too frequently that names are falsely censored making it so you can’t find specific players easily) but… why extend it to scripts?

2 Likes

Could you point out exactly where they said this in their ToS?

2 Likes

Not sure if this is what you meant, but here’s something similar.

1 Like

Changes to Terms. We reserve the right to update or modify the Terms at any time without prior notice, and such changes will be effective immediately upon being posted through the Service; however, material changes to these Terms will be effective upon the earlier of (i) your first use of the Service with actual notice of such change, or (ii) 30 days from the posting of such change. Your use of the Service following any such change constitutes your agreement to be bound by the modified Terms. These Terms will identify the date of last update. Disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved in accordance with the version of the Terms in place at the time the Dispute arose. " Disputes " means any dispute, action, controversy or claim arising out of or relating to any aspect of these Terms, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal or equitable basis, and regardless of whether a claim arises during or after the termination of these Terms. We encourage you to review these Terms frequently to stay informed of the latest modifications.
(https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004647846-Roblox-Terms-of-Use) Section B.

1 Like
2 Likes

It’s unlikely they’ll address or change anything since the script-checking system has been around for months secretly. They’ve already foolishly put in the money into this sadly.

I feel like this is just gonna be another one of those times where Roblox doesnt respond to anything on this thread and everyone just forgets about it in a few months.

The Events Update…

The Tommy Tallarico situation…

Tickets…

Possibility a few other things…

The script-checking system has probably been around since September and everyone’s just noticing it so…hopefully the system continues to not hand out punishments like candy.

1 Like

This is stupid. I hope this bot doesn’t malfunction and mess up with my code.

2 Likes

Unlike most of those other topics, this one can and will affect developers much more - now and in the future. If developers start getting banned over this, it won’t die down.

5 Likes

As a Developer i don’t feel okay with this knowing the other people are reading my hard work code and why should we trust these people reading our code?

4 Likes

It’s honestly dumb to tell everyone at the last minute, the mods have secretly accessed everyone’s work over the past 6-8 months.

So much content is probably leaked already…I feel like everyone’s too late to protest this honestly…

4 Likes

I don’t really name my variables to something ‘bad’ or whatever. But if it’s using the same filter then i don’t know how will that apply to the lines of our private-scripts. You guys should aim for something different lo

2 Likes