Clarification on code flagged for safety review

I have bad words in my old projects as variables, if you mods change it, how will I remember what it was even used for… This is a pretty horrid update to bring in, unless the user is in team create, then I guess it should exist but its so POINTLESS to have code moderated for bad words if the dev creates the game solo.

2 Likes

I’m in full disapproval of this system, I do not want my code being read by anyone else, even if it is a Roblox Employee.

I have already felt the effects of this my receiving a 3 Day Ban on my account for a test GUI, the true reason I still don’t know. Knowing this system has been in place (for months probably) has scared me away from developing for Roblox for the foreseeable future.

I would be glad to see this system change in a positive way somehow, but this system is bad for Roblox’s Developer Community.

6 Likes

I find this system to be unnecessary, codes are meant to be private unless they are publicly released, they might have personal information that is not supposed to be seen by anyone (for example, API Keys).
I just can’t see how developers can trust people with sensitive information, be them Roblox staff or not.

And also, you should be prioritizing the improvement of the chat filter and appeal system instead of implementing this unnecessary concept.

Furthermore, adding additional safety for the sake of your players in the form of an extra chat filter will not get you punished. We applaud you for wanting to go the extra mile to ensure your players have a safe experience! Just make sure the text you’re filtering is not visible to players (i.e. sent to the client) and all should be fine.

I especially can’t trust this due to what happened to ReverbAnnouncer, it makes me believe even further that this update is ridiculous and unneeded and it might have also happened to a friend of mine as the current chat filtering wasn’t working on his game and he had added an additional one, of which ended up with the game and his account being banned.
Along with the appealing system of which didn’t help at all.

In conclusion, this update will or has affected developers in a very negative way.

4 Likes

They could easily beautify your scripts.

2 Likes

It kinda sucks that we as developers don’t have much of any input or say in this. Roblox just secretly inputs it, announces it months later and that’s that.

6 Likes

It’s already been an hour and there’s been over 100 replies :flushed:

This is most likely from Koneko’s video

9 Likes

It’s never too late to protest anything, however if we continue to tolerate how poorly we’re treated than this problem will worsen over time. Slavery only existed from 1619-1863 because our ancestors tolerated it up until 1863. If our ancestors no longer tolerated it a day after 1619 began than slavery would’ve been abolished earlier.

If we want change than all developers must remain on the same page. All developers small,big, and upcoming first timers that are preparing to debut must continue to oppose Roblox’s decision. WE the users, the developers made Roblox what it is today! WE are the reason it’s a success, we’ve created virtual worlds that they could’ve never anticipated. We’ve created plugins that render the default tools useless in comparison. We took what little was given to us and expanded it beyond what anyone could’ve ever imagined.

If Roblox wants to become a stepping stone rather than a long term investment than we’ll treat it as a steppingstone. Once we’ve expanded our resources there’s no longer an obligation to remain on this platform, it than becomes optional after we’ve unlocked doors to new opportunities.

We’re independent contractors, we’re not directly employed by Roblox so if we want to bring the Roblox community to an entirely different platform we will not hesitate to do so. Never forget how they’re nothing without us, they’ve taken advantage of us for too long and I am tired of being walked all over like a door mat!

12 Likes

I do agree. Although it would take something big like mass-developers getting banned for… scripts…
We could completely bring Roblox to a halt if it was that bad.

But of course this would rely on all developers participating in this, and I doubt most developers would want to loose profit.

1 Like

Not only does it make absolutely no sense to moderate something that won’t be seen by the normal player, but roblox is also just breaking developer’s privacy by snooping into their code without them knowing. And also there’s barley any information about this, what about private code? what if it’s old, will that also be affected?. People do not like other’s looking into their code for privacy reason, and the fact this was being done without absolutely no one knowing is just awful.

5 Likes

I’ve tried multiple times to think of a reason this would be good and I’ve failed. This makes absolutely NO sense, the public isn’t even seeing our code!
Us as developers as the years go on we’re being constantly restricted on what we can do. So enough we’re only going to be limited to placing a certain amount of bricks in our games.

6 Likes

I feel like this is a stupid update. Roblox’s moderation is bad in it’s current state and they shouldn’t be widening the area of moderation, they should be lowering or limiting this area to make it better and more efficient.

4 Likes

If this update is not reverted within a month. I am quitting Roblox as a developer. Code is private and always should be private.

9 Likes

I agree, I think most developers are going the same route as you.

3 Likes

I agree. If we want our code to be public, we un-copy lock our games. This is outrageous.

Was thinking about learning how to use Unity, might want to start it sooner then later…

3 Likes

Out of all the moderation fixes that are needed you do this. This was a waste time.

5 Likes

I totally 100% agree with @kni0002 and @anxyeity, code should at least be private to developers and team create members, and this update is not necessary, who knows where this update could lead Roblox too now.

4 Likes

I wish there was more information provided such as what exactly this applies to. If it applies to just public games or private studios as well as models etc?

1 Like

Most of the replies here are just repeating what was already said. Why do we have to do this just to get Roblox to listen to our concerns?

5 Likes

Wow, this is jarring.

This scares me. But not because of any content I have in my scripts. Here’s why.

Primarily, I’m scared due to the possible ineffectiveness of the filter. But if this has been in the system for months now, then I guess I don’t have anything to fear (unless an update causes the system to hiccup). As for everyone else when it comes to false positives, I can’t speak for them since I don’t know.

Secondly, the fact that this system has apparently been in place for months and nothing was said to us about it is rather upsetting. If you wanted to truly be transparent, you should have told us this was coming.

And finally, I have to question your allocation of resources. People aren’t going to publicly see our code, so why should it be moderated? I get that you don’t want content that violates the ToS on the platform, but it still seems like a waste of resources when you compare where those resources could have gone to instead.

Personally, I’m pretty disappointed.

5 Likes

How does this help with moderation efforts if this is something the public can not see code. Also I bet my anti chat bypass will get flagged has it checks for words robloxs does not moderate.

4 Likes