Clarify whether external links are permitted on the forum

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to post useful resources given that the new DevForum rules no longer clarify on whether offsite external links are permitted. This, coupled with the fact that Roblox Community Standards generally prohibits non-Roblox domains in links; makes it quite risky to post anything with an external link.

If this is intended to be the case and that external links are not permitted, then I would highly recommend that this change be reverted as many of the most helpful DevForum threads contain external links as either resources or evidence supporting their claims. It would be disasterous to block them entirely (outside of #bulletin-board where the list of allowed domains has seemingly always been much stricter as seen in the old bulletin board rules) as many resources are currently housed on external links or use an external link for their documentation. Blocking external links would also encourage developers such as myself to go off-platform to get support as external link support is essential for users to be able to cite sources for their claims, publish large video files (via YouTube link) or provide external resources which cannot be paraphrased into a DevForum post.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because I would be able to post in confidence knowing whether or not my external links are permitted on the forum.

3 Likes

They are still permitted, I’ve already flagged the feedback internally. You can leave any other feedback in the recent announcement about the updated devforum rules.

5 Likes