Refreshed DevForum Rules and Staying Updated

Hi Creators,

We have updated the official rules to the Roblox Developer Forum, which you can find here:

These changes include:

• We’ve clarified at the top that all content and behavior on DevForum must follow the Community Standards and Terms of Use. Any rules that are already reflected in the Community Standards were removed from the rules explanation.

• We cleaned up the language around topics like spam, using categories correctly, misusing the system, promotion/monetization, and moderation.

• We’ve removed the following since they mostly overlap with the Community Standards:

• Broken rules matrix
    • Global rules
    • Bulletin board rules
      • This can still be found here

Additionally, you will now see rules combined with “How To Join The Developer Forum + International Communities” in one post, pinned at the top of the Updates category.

Stay Updated

If you’re new here or just need a reminder on how to follow your favorite threads or updates to key announcements, be sure to click the notification bell on the right side of your page. The bell could also be found by clicking the Topic Progress box on the bottom right of your screen, then selecting the bell

Topic Progress box (numbers will vary depending on the post); Notification Bell

Clicking this bell will give you four options on how to stay connected to the forum post you are on.

• Muted: You will never be notified of anything about this topic, and it will not appear in latest

• Normal (Default): Be notified if someone mentions you or replies to you

• Tracking: A count of replies will be shown for this topic, and be notified if someone mentions you or replies to you

• Watching: Be notified of every new reply in this topic, and count of new replies will be shown.

That said, we are looking into ways on how to improve the visibility of updates to our announcements. We don’t have much to share at the moment, but click the bell to be notified for any updates.

Thank you.

91 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Will profanity in public category topics get moderated now? I was seeing many people use swear words outside of private categories before.

18 Likes

I’m glad the rules got refreshed, the global rules system was very confusing and hard to navigate due to how many rules there were.
I’m also glad anti-30chxrs rule is now being enforced.

“Do not circumvent any character limit requirements with clutter text (such as long paragraphs with multiple different text fonts, inessential hyperlinks, or excessive spacing).”

But any updates on moderation, does the feedback system still work? Since the strike system doesn’t mention it anywhere.

13 Likes

Very cool! It seriously needed an update, as it looked and got read like jerogliphics.

3 Likes

There doesn’t appear to be any clarification on the rules that hyperlinks to non-Roblox domains are allowed, which the community standards directly prohibits? If this is intended, then I would highly recommend this be reverted as many of the most helpful DevForum threads contain external links as either resources or evidence supporting their post.

Also, will feedback still be given for minor violations such as duplicate posts; or will the scary “3 strikes and you’re out” system now be used for even minor violations? If it is the latter, I would highly recommend this be changed back as minor rule violations are certainly not deservant of an outiright suspension when it isn’t happening regularly.

24 Likes

Very nice, good to see it simplified. However, I feel like you should clarify the profanity section because I see a lot of it in public categories just blurred. Also, how far is “too far”? For example “lmao” is not allowed on Roblox but it would be fairly extreme to ban it on here.

12 Likes

yeah until you have to open the english dictionary to find words that will consist of 30 chxracters just to answer a yes/no question

7 Likes

Oh this is wonderful, hopefully it will also boost the quality of posts.
Seeing things to bypass the character limit on every post got a little obnoxious to be honest.

3 Likes

Nice to see the rules simplified, but are rules around external links going to change? I recall Bulletin Board having some specific rules regarding external links but now they’re gone and there’s not really any clarification on whether you can or can’t post external links.

I assume we’ll still be able to, but if we’re not, it’ll be a huge loss.

Also regarding the character limit stuff, it would be nice if you could suggest people to like instead of replying if you don’t have anything constructive to add.

9 Likes

I have to drop the whole troll act that people might know me for because this is just a stupid stupid change, if it isn’t broke, why fix it? The previous rules were clear cut enough, this just adds another layer of confusion and potential censorship which was two issues the 'forum already experienced.

insert obligatory 1984

9 Likes

Hate to be annoying but it would be nice if staff would actually respond to some of these questions, cheers.

6 Likes

I’m wondering if profanity/inappropriate stuff will get moderated in category topics or public categories now? I’ve seen alot of people posting like “can a hacker …” (Take that as an example).

8 Likes

but it’s most likely that they are moderating it.

2 Likes

this is the thing, under the current rules after this change, its literally conflicting

ROBLOX says you can’t swear, devforum says you can (in private sections)
this is such a stupid change, devforum and the main site should be segregated, not only so the more mature audience can dwell here to discuss development and dev related issues, but simply because it allows the average users to feel a lot more comfortable discussing topics when they know they’re not being held down by roblox’s rules.

11 Likes

Private Sections

• Public sections are readable by everyone. All Roblox Community Standards, including our rules on Profanity, apply. In private sections, profanity that does not target other users or contribute to other violations of the Community Standards is allowed.

I think the short answer is that nothing is changing. The rules are just more concise now.

I don’t think everyone knows how to recognize public versus private, it wouldn’t hurt to show a little example about what that means (lock icon on the category name).

8 Likes

Agreed, Roblox should update the DevForum Rules so we are no longer allowed to swear in private sections or in public sections. I’ve seen alot of people swearing in public sections of the DevForum and also reported them to the DevForum Moderation Team.

5 Likes

I don’t even think they should say that swearing is allowed in private sections since they moderate it anyways, even before this update.

roblox doing dumb things counter #???
never thought it’d be the moderation time screwing up though

4 Likes

Even if we are allowed to post profanity, it shouldn’t be in a community forum, where everyone can post. Most likely this can result of getting your DevForum Account suspended.

3 Likes

This is a forum for developers, not a playground. Even with it being part of roblox, it seems odd to censor heavily here. People should be moderated for acting in bad faith, not for using normal everyday language.

7 Likes