Click Here to Add a Star Code for Star Developers

Roblox Youtube Stars are given a special code that their viewers can use to support their favorite Roblox youtuber in Roblox’s star program.

Roblox has a Star program with developers, though they are not given the same feature. This is confusing as the naming would suggest that these Star developers be treated with the same Roblox Website features as Youtube Stars.

Roblox should add this feature for developers within their Star program, allowing players to use the same code referral feature.

183 Likes

Interesting feature.

One satisfying solution would be to turn it on for everyone. The only downside would be that it would cost Roblox 5% and not drive any incremental engagement. One could argue that if that still made sense to do, it would make more sense just to increase Devex rates 5%, because the winners would be the same people who currently have popular games. But then people who generate offsite content on YouTube or Twitch get left out, so then you still might want a program like this to help them monetize their content, depending on whether you can tell how valuable that engagement is.

It’s hard to reason about without knowing the stats, and without knowing about the incrementality of paying everyone to do something that some people were doing anyways already.

So now I’m curious about it. I wonder if anyone is putting up big numbers here?

53 Likes

Since you mentioned both the Video Stars Program and Stars Program, It would be cool if Roblox started giving star program members access to Star Codes, it would be cool if roblox started treating the program similarly to the Video Stars Program, giving them access to UGC, promotion, and maybe a hat :grin:

15 Likes

I thought of suggesting this, although, Roblox has selected certain Star Developers over the years, and if I know anything about Roblox, it is iterative production.

Scalability concerns me, depending on the reality of whether this 5% goes into Robux or is linked directly with a direct deposit account would be important for the distinction of who can have a code.

Raising the dev ex rates should be an entirely different conversation. Thinking of the incentives for people using star codes, it doesn’t do anything to the player except the goodwill of knowing they supported their favorite youtuber, and hopefully in the future, developer. Therefore, I think it can be a reasonable assumption that players input star codes directly after they see their favorite content creator tell them they have a star code. The player must have already been interested in buying Robux, and not have done so recently* (dependent on player disposable income and desire to buy more things). In theory, this program is doing advertising to the buying of Robux. It is a lifestyle that content creators will have an economic incentive to endorse. It may be creating more Robux purchases than otherwise would be made, hence why this program was economically viable in the first place. Although developers already have intense economic incentive to get players to buy Robux via in-game advertising of their products and gamepasses, this feature given to Star Developers too would add a goodwill value to their brand. Encouraging their player-base to be more interactive in their own community, and support the dev as a person outside of pure gamepass or product purchases. Adding this feature for powerful star developers seems to be the next most obvious step in accelerating the cash flow and investment opportunities for Roblox as a whole.

I agree it is incredibly difficult for this conversation to go past assumptions since we don’t have external stats. I am sure Roblox data scientists are having a field day looking into all this, and determining a next move.

14 Likes

Roblox should also send out these in the mail to their very dedicated Developers after reaching milestones such as 100,000 Followers. These are currently given out to Star Youtubers

28 Likes

One thing I think it’s worth noting, because DevEx rates are somewhere around 20% of the purchase price of the Robux (Varies a lot depending on where and how much), adding 5% to the devex rate would actually cause developers to earn 25% more USD, just to put into perspective how potentially lucrative these star codes are.

9 Likes

My suggestion, was instead of Followers do prizes for Visits.

Game Worthy On This Scale: (As of 1/29/2020)

1. MeepCity - 4.857 B
  2. Adopt Me - 3.923 B
  3. JailBreak - 3.296 B
  4. Royale High - 2.750 B
  5. Murder Mystery 2 - 2.267 B
  6. Work at a Pizza Place - 2.106 B
  7. Welcome to Bloxburg - 1.631 B
  8. Prison Life - 1.328 B
  9. Flee the Facility - 1.312 B
  10. Tower of Hell - 1.022 B

Honorable Mentions: (As of 1/29/2020)

1. Epic Minigames 888 M
  2. Mad City - 836 M
  3. Weight Lifting Simulator 3 - 828 M
  4. Phantom Forces - 811 M
  5. Dungeon Quest - 773 M
  6. Bee Swarm Simulator - 771 M
17 Likes

(I posted something like this in another thread; rephrasing it for this post)

Personally, I would prefer being able to have Star Codes open to everyone; not just developers. The Star Codes wouldn’t be that useful for developers since there would be a lot of competition among the top developers to get their fans to use their code (like how YouTubers have their usernames set to their Star Code). For teams, the team lead or whoever is the most social would probably get nearly all of the uses for the team. It may be better to set up a Patreon instead.

The main people who would benefit from the Star Codes are other video creators. Due to how programs with manual processing of people go, there is no way everyone will get into the program, and it will be difficult for people to enter the program. This isn’t that much of a problem for video creators who speak languages that Roblox’s Marketing team handles, like English, Spanish, and Portuguese. However, you could have a huge fanbase but be locked out of the program because Roblox’s marketing team doesn’t support their language. While Roblox is trying to grow, especially in Asia with its Tencent partnership, the program doesn’t support languages like Chinese, Japanese, or Arabic to name a few. There are some channels that speak these languages that have hundreds of thousands to millions of subscribers on YouTube, and they can’t have their fanbases support them through Star codes simply because the Marketing team doesn’t speak their language.

8 Likes