Client sided visuals cause severe FPS lag depending on where they are placed

Hello, I made a strange discovery today. In some of our projects we have a folder named “Bin” located inside of the Player Character. We use this folder to temporarily house things like visual effects on the client and permanent clothing/accessory items on the server. I was messing around making a cool punch effect for something in game but it dropped my FPS by about 15, so I changed the location of the effect from Character.Bin to workspace and that cleared up the lag.

Here is what the effect looks like : https://gyazo.com/86d937002d9e3807835a4be04d0056d9

The lag only happens while the effects happen, it clears up once it’s over. At first I thought that it was because of the multiple parts showing up so rapidly, but it was just their location.

I was wondering if anyone knows why this causes FPS lag when the parts are placed in the Bin folder, but not when they are placed in workspace

1 Like

Humanoids

So the humanoid causes issues because of the folder being parented to the same place as it then? Interesting, I’ll have to change some things up then

Thanks for your response!

Wow you’re one of those guys who always answers a question with a question