Client stuck on black screen when joining an experience

Reproduction Steps

My player count has been absolutely demolished and about cut in half from the normal size because of this bug. It seems to happen mostly on fuller servers. Ant Life [Beta Testing] - Roblox

I have a very high-end gaming pc with a 3090 graphics card, I don’t think anything about the system information is what is causing this bug as it occurs for a lot of people, it seems like something internal.

Expected Behavior

I expect Roblox to investigate this issue so that their developers and player base can play experiences.

Actual Behavior

You join the game, I’ve had reports of it either showing a black screen (sometimes it ends up working after waiting a long time), or it could show certain camera angles in the game.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Very High
Frequency: Constantly

Here is one of the MANY reports I’ve gotten of this bug.

“How do we get rid of the black screen glitch? I’ve tried reloading multiple times and even restarted my computer, but it’s still showing just this screen.”

Just experienced this. Seems to happen more on the big servers.

It’s the game bug it’s not Roblox. I can see a bit of light at the top right. Your game lighting is pitch black. I just seen you are the owner of the game and maybe there is something wrong with your lighting? maybe check console to see if there are any errors that might of caused your game not loading correctly.

Guessing Issue: I’m guessing you have a day and night cycle system so maybe that is the issue and as you said it happens in higher servers which most likely been active for a long period of time maybe you should check the loops carefully just in case.

1 Like

There is no day night cycle tho, and I’ve seen reports of this on other games.

Also, I’ll point out the game itself isn’t loading, because if I press f9 it doesn’t give me developer access. None of the GUIs are loading as they should, etc.

1 Like

This maybe be related to my issue?

Upon joining the biggest server I experienced this:

After a bit, the game started working like normal.
Maybe there are too many stuff loading?

That is usually the case, however sometimes it can take a very long time. I’m not sure what could possibly be loading this long.

If you have terrain in your map, remove it and see if that fixes the problem. Additionally, if you have large models in ReplicatedStorage, remove those too.

Wouldn’t that cause it to do it from the beginning of the game though? I reduced the map size by a lot and the issue still seems the same. I’m guessing it’s some kind of internal bug because it doesn’t happen until the game has been running for a little while, I did some testing and there are no extra parts taking up storage everything seems to be working as intended.

Are the lighting properties the same during this?

I believe this issue may be related to another bug report:

I suggest you add when you started getting reports to your bug report.

1 Like

May not, because…

FIRST OF ALL
It’s only in studio

SECOND OF ALL
If it will be related, he or you will experience this in loading screen, not black one…

Yes. the lighting remains the same during the entire game.

Then this is not a bug, but a expierience lightning.
If not then I don′t know.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I filed a ticket to our internal database.

1 Like

Thank you. It may happen from memory leaks, I’m not sure. I know it didn’t used to do this though and a few creators have reported it and seems to improve when I remove extra space from the server such as extra NPCs or dead character bodies.

Apologies for the late reply. Is this issue still impacting you? We believe we resolved this issue a while back and are following up on unclosed tickets in our system.

Yes it seems to be fixed for a while now.

1 Like