Client Touched event replication broken

Since at least this Thursday, server-side BasePart.Touched signals on anchored and client-managed parts have been failing to fire for some players.

Here’s what’s known:

• Touched signals fire with no issue on the client. It’s only the replication of a client-managed Touched interaction to the server that stops working.
  • Touched replication is broken for the entire client on all managed parts, it’s not just their character. If other objects and characters (including other player’s characters) are set to the broken client’s ownership, they also don’t replicate their touched signals to the server.
  • Only certain players are affected by this issue. There is no discrepancy in client versions so it’s unclear what exactly the common thread between these players is. I personally am unable to replicate the issue, but others are able to do so reliably.

The games affected have their PhysicsSteppingMethod set to Default. Streaming is not a factor, as both places with Streaming enabled and disabled experience this issue.

From testing, the trigger for this seems to be replicating too many Touched signals to the server in a short amount of time, or in some cases just replicating the signals a few times. Their Touched signals replicate fine upon joining a game, but it breaks at some point after triggering enough Touched signals.

In the attached video below, the player touches a barrier that lights up on being touched. The first few times, it triggers, and then stops triggering altogether. From that point on, no Touched events will fire for the user on the server. This is not limited to just this barrier, and will trigger if they fire enough Touched events on any listening part.

We have verified this bug occurring in these games:
https://www.roblox.com/games/4111023553/Deepwoken-Verse-2-METAL
https://www.roblox.com/games/3016661674/Rogue-Lineage

As well as these specific places:
https://www.roblox.com/games/6032399813/Etrean-Luminant
https://www.roblox.com/games/8668476218/Dungeon

This breaks quite a lot of the interactions in our games such as travelling through portals and exiting dungeons, so a fix would be greatly appreciated. As I am personally unable to reproduce this issue, it will be difficult for me to provide a stripped down reproduction place file, but I am happy to assist in any way I can.

28 Likes

As a temporary fix I would probably use a remote event.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar issue when I was working on a small project of Minesweeper, where the Server-sided Touched signal wouldn’t work properly.
As far i can remember, the TouchTransmitter instance that normally appears when you connect the BasePart.Touched signal would just not replicate to the client entirely, making the character to not being able to interact with the tiles at all.
The workaround I used to fix this issue was connecting the Touched signal in the client with a function that does basically nothing, just for the TouchTransmitter to fully work with no issue.
I tried using GetTouchingParts to just generate the TouchTransmitter, but it just self-destroys after ANY change is done to the part, either a property or attribute.

2 Likes

Same exact issue has been happening to us, we have gotten tons of reports for touch detectors not working.

4 Likes

Yes! Thank you for making this post! I was wondering if it was a problem with my new update or not. My game is a tycoon that has tons of touch interactions. A lot of players are unable to play and some encounter this issue regularly. It is important that this problem is solved as soon as possible.

3 Likes

This has been a big issue over the last few days in my World War Tycoon. I almost lost my mind when I tried a lot of fixes and the issue kept occurring, until I was informed of this ROBLOX bug

One thing I’ve noticed is, the .Touch event fires when the player resets atop of whatever they are trying to touch, as seen in these GIFs
https://gyazo.com/d5df5ae0649f2775638f7d705a299ef6
https://gyazo.com/6a6bd68ef28e521cb6b5e97b59897506

2 Likes

Football Fusion 2 uses these events a lot on the client/server and is experiencing issues as well. It is to the point some people are not even able to touch the football.

Please fix this soon!

3 Likes

This is happening even for .Touched events on the client??

1 Like

Are there any updates to this bug?

1 Like

This is an issue for ER:LC. For our mod shop, we have players drive their vehicle in and currently we detect the VehicleSeat (I guess for this bug, many part of the vehicle would behave the same) touching an invisible part. Since the vehicle is owned on the network by the client, the Touched event isn’t firing. When the vehicle is owned by the server, it works just fine.

3 Likes

We are having issues with players trying to get the gravity coil in Capture The Flag.

Edit: Now when we try to get the coil it sometimes works, but not always

This needs to be fixed ASAP. My game is an obby with checkpoints and players sometimes can’t get to the next level because the touched events aren’t firing for the checkpoints. This has caused our like ratio to FALL by nearly 7% since Thursday where I got the first reports of this and it has also ruined the momentum of our new game’s launch :confused:

Roblox, please resolve this as soon as possible.

1 Like

i hope this is true. they must fix this fast.

I have been going through a few experiences where I’ve seen this as well, hopefully this is fixed soon as it is causing multiple game-breaking bugs to occur.

I’ve tested it in a regular baseplate and the event fires, but doesn’t fire on an older untouched game. it seems to be very selective.

In my game, at first It did not work, but now it work perfectly fine so I think they fixed it

didn’t for me. imma try publishing. if you have to publish to work (like they did with the audio update, but in reverse) so many games are just… rip.

1 Like

nope. does not work. i have no idea.

Thank you all for the reports! The team is now actively looking into this.

7 Likes

This bug is extremely sporadic and inconsistent. It is almost impossible to replicate accurately.

1 Like