[Closed] Grargror - Game Designer, Programmer, Project Manager

Status

• Commissions:
    • I do not currently accept commissions.
  • Collaboration:
    • My time is currently occupied working on my own projects. However, if you are an experienced developer, I may be interested in collaborating with you in the future.

About Me

Hello! I have been on the platform for 3 years and have been developing full time since May 2019. My time spent developing has mostly focused on the design and programming aspects of game development, but I have also dabbled in building, animating, and graphics / UI design.

I have a formal education in engineering, which has helped with learning the programming aspect of development on the platform. Additionally, I have a graduate degree in managing and leading technically oriented products and teams, which I hope to apply towards leading a development studio in the future.

I am currently working towards releasing an alpha of my first public game.

Education

I have a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, and I have a Master of Science in Engineering and Technology Management. Both degrees were completed with a 4.0 GPA.

My undergraduate degree has provided me with a solid technical background. Coursework particularly applicable to development on Roblox includes Data Structures, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Calculus and Differential Equations, Machine Design, and Vibrations. During my undergraduate program, I led several projects, including my team’s year-long engineering capstone project.

My desire to further develop my leadership and management skills subsequently led me to pursue a graduate degree in Engineering and Technology Management. Coursework and projects focused on data analytics, strategic decision making, leading and managing teams, business strategy, and project management (including both traditional and agile methodologies).

Work Experience During School

During my undergraduate program, I interned twice with a local company as a software, programming, and hardware intern. I assisted in the development of real-world low-cost data collection systems and maintenance decision support systems. I also dabbled in front-end web development and created a login page for the company’s user web application.

During my graduate program, I interned as a Data Analyst with an online technology company which provides a two-sided digital marketplace. Working with the Product Analytics team, I assisted in day-to-day analytics requests. Additionally, I analyzed the performance of a recently introduced product, particularly focusing on whether the product was providing revenue growth or whether it was cannibalizing revenue from the company’s other products.

Work After Graduating and Roblox Development

Following my graduate program, I recognized the growth potential for solo developers and small studios on Roblox, and I decided to split my time between learning Roblox development and a day job. For my day job, I joined a company as a business development analyst looking at market competition and opportunities for new product development. However, I eventually decided that the market opportunities presented to developers on Roblox and the exponential growth of the platform were as interesting and exciting as the opportunities I was seeing at my day job. As a result, I have been developing full time on Roblox since May 2019.

I have started two projects during the time that I have been developing:

1. An adventure-based treasure simulator
  2. A social role play game

After 4 months of development on the first project, I realized that my lack of coding experience on the platform and the coding style being used was significantly hindering development of features. As a result, I placed the project on hold, with the intention of learning better coding practices and improving my ability to execute on the idea. I would like return to the project in the future and rebuild it from scratch.

The second project has been my focus for the past 8 months. A major focus was placed on implementing better coding practices and utilizing community tools for organizing and speeding up development.

Videos showing a few of the systems developed for these projects can be found in the next section

My Work

Programming

Skill Set & Tools

Skill Set
  • Familiar with data structures (stacks, queues, hashmaps, etc.)
  • Familiar with object oriented programming (OOP)
  • Have a strong grasp of the Roblox API
  • I seek to write clean and extensible code
Open Source Tools That I Use
  • Rocrastinate. This module has proven helpful for the modularization and management of complex UI systems.
  • DataStore2. I serialize / deserialize the data in order to conserve data store space.
  • NevermoreEngine. The module loader has been very helpful since it allows easy reorganization of a game’s code base.
  • Promise. Promises are great for handling asynchronous tasks.
  • Rojo. Makes it possible to use professional tooling, such as Visual Studio Code and allows me to use Git for version control.

[Previous Project] Adventure-Based Simulator
Pet system (pet AI is rather basic… would like to rework using behavioral trees in the future):

Treasure chest digging system:

Basic teleport system:

Grey box chest and coins:

[Current Project] Social Role Play Game
Character Customization System

Customizable and Consumable Food Items (including animations)

Gear / Item Shop System (allowing for both limited-time rentals and permanent purchases)

• Note: The mount models all come from the Roblox catalog. The land-based mounts use a standardized back end which makes it easy to add new mounts to the game. The flying mount uses modified code from a catalog gear item.

Other Programming Systems:

• Global leader boards
  • Developer products and game passes
  • Custom character loading system (to apply the player’s character customization options when the player joins a game)
  • External web server back end for serving needed data to game servers

Building

Build Examples

Notes:

1. I generally do not consider myself a builder. I simply show these to highlight that I have a general understanding of building on the platform.
  2. Trees shown are from an asset pack. I did NOT model them.

Pizza Shop (Unfinished):

Spawn Area (Unfinished):

Nature Area:

Wooden Bridge:

Availability

• Please do not contact me about commissions at this time.
  • My time is currently occupied working on my own projects. However, if you are an experienced developer, I may be interested in collaborating with you in the future.

Contact

You can contact me via the following channels:

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hello, I am very interested, please message me at pyth#6737

hello, sir. Do you have discord I can contact you at?