Clothing Design - Your (predominantly) Complete Guide to Designing!

Hiya, designers!

I’ve been designing virtual garments here on Roblox since roughly Jan-2017. I constantly think back to the things I wish I’d known when I was starting out. So, why not share the knowledge which I have? Maybe it’ll answer some questions which newer designers have!

(Please understand that there are links to programs in this post, simply because it’s better than suggesting what to look for, in which case, someone could click on a bad link. I have thoroughly tested each link, and they’re all 100% safe. Feel free to double check if you still feel uneasy about them.)

(I’ve put a lot of time into this, so I really hope it helps! :D)

Before I begin, I’d like to list the things which I use whilst designing:

• paint. net (This will occasionally be referred to as Paint, so don’t be confused by the pre-owned ‘Paint’ found on the majority of Windows computers)
    ^ Sadly, this isn’t available for Mac (not sure about Linux either)
  • GIMP (occasionally for detailed shading)
  • Advanced clothing template (scroll to ‘Resources’ tab!)

Now, let’s begin!

(Update 28/11/2020: Added another tip! Located in Spice Up Your Outfits!

#1 Shading can be easy!

When I was a beginner, I was really discouraged by shading. I thought that it would be extremely difficult, tedious, etc. This is not the case!

As a beginner, you shouldn’t worry too much about making hyperrealistic clothing items, rather, use a simple method like this (simple skirt used for reference):

1. Make a base:
  • You should do this on the advanced template. There are plenty of tutorials which tell you how to use it!
  1. Make some shading lines (use a slightly darker, richer colour):
  • Don’t make the lines huge, and make sure that the lines are quite even.
  • Do this on a new layer!
  1. Blur them with a gaussian blur!
  • (If you notice ‘green puzzle pieces’, those are extensions that I’ve added to paint. :smiley:

• Depending on the type of clothing item, you might have to experiment with what radius of blur looks best!
  1. Add highlights!
    These should be a lighter, off-white version of the base’s color.
  • Ensure to do this on a new layer!
  • After this, use the gaussian blur to blur these lines.
  1. Adjust the layer so that it looks nice (less chunky, more blended)

2. Using the eraser tool, tidy up the edges to ensure it looks a bit nicer!

• I’d recommend merging the shading and highlight layers to the base because it makes this so much easier!

Optional: To make your item look nicer, you can add an outline, or a waistband, etc.

#2 'Advanced Shading'

After practising with basic shading, you should slowly delve into the world of advanced shading! Don’t be discouraged if this is difficult for you, nobody can do this on their first try.

In advanced shading, you can make your own shading template, create folds, etc. I’d recommend using either Paint or GIMP for this. GIMP has a smudge tool already in the program, whereas Paint requires a plug-in to use the smudge tool (check resources if you want to know where to get it from safely)

How to make a 'shading template' from scratch!

Shading template is referring to a general template that can be used to shade quickly (I wouldn’t recommend this if you would rather quality > quantity, but it is helpful.)

1. Prepare a base
  • Make sure to use the base on the template that you’ll be using. I’d recommend using the advanced template!
  • Also note, the color of the base doesn’t matter. We will eventually delete it because the only purpose it serves is to allow us to see the shading. However, ensure that it’s a bright color, not close to the darkness (shade) of the shading.
  1. Create some outlines on either side of the torso using a black/dark grey colour on a new layer.
  • I generally use the shape tool for this. (Tool > Shapes > Rectangle) The size of the brush was 6, and the color (shade) I used was: (212121)
  1. Make some lines with the smudge tool (same layer).
  • I’m not necessarily ‘great’ at making these templates, so don’t feel discouraged if your template doesn’t turn out ‘perfect’. My most recent template had taken about 2 hours to make, because quality takes time.
  • Don’t judge the ~quality~ of this example pls ;-;
  1. Repeat on all vertical lines OR copy the lines you just smudged
  • Personally, I rarely use/make shading templates. Whenever I do, I usually copy and paste the lines (if that make sense). If you really want quality, then you should smudge each line individually.
  • To make the lines smoother I like to blur them a bit (with the gaussian blur), so the quality doesn’t necessarily matter after this.
  1. Duplicate + Blur
    This step is a bit tricky, but the result looks pretty decent.
  • Step 1: Duplicate you smudged layer.

• Step 2: Blur the layer at the BOTTOM.
    Adjust the blur to your personal liking.

• Step 3: Make the TOP layer slightly transparent.

• Step 4: Merge the layers together, and look at your finished piece!

If you put a lot of time into the template, it will look a lot better (such as creating multiple smudging layers to add depth, etc.). My example isn’t the greatest, because it took about 5 minutes to make.

How to create folds/creases

If you’re planning on practicing advanced shading, this is probably the best way to go. Creating individual creases/folds can make your designs look a lot better than using a shading template. Making folds/creases is a very easy process, but does require you to look at references.

• My biggest tip for doing this to look at specific outfits that are similar to the garment you want to make. Look at how the fabric folds, catches the light, casts shadows, etc. Then base the likeness of your folds/creases on that.

• Making folds is basically drawing a line (paintbrush tool, pencil, line/curve tool, etc.) then either blurring it or smudging it. Blurring the line is good for making folds, especially when combined with highlights. Smudging the line is good for making creases because the edges are more defined, and a lot sharper.

Here’s a tube-top for example:

1. Make a base.

2. Draw some lines (compare it to similar garments if need be).

3. Draw some highlights (on a new layer).

4. Blur and adjust both layers (make the shading an overlay, and the highlights a glow)

#3 What to do if you don't know what to make~

A common problem among clothing designers is not being able to figure out what to make! You’re not alone if you feel this way, because there is an easy solution around it!

Look for inspiration:

Look at real examples:

• When many designers make outfits, they use real-life examples. You can find these on Pinterest, etc.

• However, looking for outfit ideas online – or just being on the internet in general – can be unsafe for younger people. If you’re concerned with looking for outfit ideas online, make sure that the website your getting examples from is reliable and child-friendly (if you’re <13). Just be cautious in general, and don’t visit sketchy sites.

Idea boards:

Create an idea board:

An idea board looks a little bit like this:
^ the boxes would be actual things- not boxes-

• Idea boards can help you collect and organise your ideas, and can allow you to become inspired to create.
  • These work well when you cannot find motivation, or if you can’t figure out what to make.
  • Compiling photos, colours, and items from certain aesthetics are helpful in creating ideas for outfits.
Watch speed-designs

I am not saying to literally copy the video’s outfit, so please don’t take the title the wrong way!

• Watching speed designs is a great way to support creators and to become inspired. Look at the designer’s techniques, their style, and what they’re using for inspiration.
  • This also includes watching tutorials, because they are VERY helpful for newer designers!

I have listed some good channels in the ‘resources’ tab!

Things NOT to do:
Copy, or god-forbid, re-upload

Copy, or god-forbid, re-upload:

• Even if you feel that you’re lacking the skills to become a massive, highly-successful designer, you should never, ever, ever steal!
  • Designers put hours into their outfits, and re-uploading them is just… a new form of disrespect. From the perspective of someone who has had their items stolen & re-uploaded, it really sucks.

^ Not my design, but you can see what I mean. Hours put to waste, simply because someone was too lazy to try with minimum effort.

BONUS TIP!
If you are as annoyed by clothing thieves as I am, then there’s a simple way to make them stop. Don’t buy their copies. Periodt. If you only support original creators, then these thieves have no choice but to stop. Well, they’d probably keep going since new players don’t understand enough about stolen clothing, but at least the original creator is compensated for their hard work.

Never give up!

Never give up:

Even though putting hours of work onto a design, only for it to get 1, maybe 2 sales, is really discouraging. However, you shouldn’t give in. All of the original ‘popular’ clothing groups have been active for YEARS, and once upon a time, they were where you are.

#4 You won't become a 'massive success' over night!

Designing clothing on roblox has become extremely popular over the years, and many, many people are doing it!

For every person who decided to design, there are most-likely hundreds of others who decided the same.

The best piece of advice I can give is make unique clothing; be a trendsetter!

• If players notice your cool, special clothing, they’ll be more likely to buy it.

• You could apply this ^ to yourself. If you see a generic t-shirt, which hasn’t necessarily been physically copied, but the idea of it has been copied hundreds of times, you’d only buy one version of them. Rather, if you saw a cool, unique item of clothing, you’d want to buy it because it’s unique!

#5 Easy ways to make your designs look 'nicer'

Here are some simple-ish tips to make your clothing items look ‘nicer’. Please don’t take that the wrong way, because so long as you like your clothing, there is nothing wrong with it!

Add 'noise'

In paint. net, there’s a feature where you can add noise to images. Don’t ask me how it works, I’m not too sure. I do know how to use it, however!

1. Grab your piece of clothing (using the skirt base again for examples-sake)

2. Click on ‘add noise’

3. Adjust to your liking

• Turn the ‘colour saturation’ down to 0, otherwise it’ll look weird
  • Turn down the intensity to make it less chunky
  • Turn down the ‘coverage’ to make it, well, less covered by noise!
Fur-Blur!

One particular plug-in for Paint is FurBlur! This allows you to add fluffy patches to your outfits, such as faux-fur collars or fluffy jackets. Check ‘resources’ for where to get that plugin safely.

Example (using a simple tube-top):

1. On the layer ABOVE your outfit-base, make a line (out of any colour you choose).

2. Click ‘FurBlur’

3. Adjust to your liking.

• I’d recommend using these settings, but you can mess around with them if you’d like:
    -Repetitions: 100
    -Main length: 5
    -Length Variation: 0.12
    -Angle Variation: 0.82
    -Curl Curvature: 0.15
    -Curl Variation: 0.10
    -Friz Curvature: 0
    -Start Obj Transparency: 255
    -Blur: 1.00
    -Src Colour: 0
    -Only Keep Fur: True (checked)
Shading

See #1 and #2

Use a colour wheel

Adobe has a great resource for this, and it is literally the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to making designs. (Check resources for that!)

NEW | Motion blur!

This is pretty easy to do, and the result looks: :fire:

1. Prepare your base (garment)

2. Add some light, off-white lines (as if you were about to do highlights), then erase part of them to make them thinner. [New layer]

Side tip: Add smaller lines between, to emulate smaller folds.

3. Use motion blur! (Effects>Blurs>Motion Blur) (This isn’t a plugin either!)

4. Adjust the transparency of your layer, then you’re done!
    (Smaller lines were added before blurring the layer.)

#6 "When should I do commissions?"

Simple answer: Literally whenever you want to / whenever you feel comfortable designing for others.

Extended answer

I’m going to try not to sugar-coat this because this really needs to be said.

• If you cannot handle making at least two outfits a week, you are not ready to start commissions.
  • If you cannot work under pressure, deadlines, or stress, you are not ready to start commissions.
  • If you cannot cohesively speak to clients, and understand their wishes, you are not ready to start commissions.
  • If you are not prepared for someone to: Not pay you, say they don’t like the outfit, or give you harsh criticism, you are not ready to start commissions.

Like building, or scripting, or running any form of business, it’s going to take work. There will be highs and lows. You need to be prepared for this, and you need to have strong communication skills.

Doing commissions is difficult, but very rewarding. It isn’t exactly all rainbows, sunshine and lollipops, but the pay-off and skills earnt from it are huge.

(Jeez sorry for being the bad-guy for a second T-T)

Anyhow, I’d recommend making a portfolio here on the DevForum, here’s a link to my (now barely used) portfolio (self-promotion not intended, sorry.): Portfolio

#7 What's the best way to make a profit with clothing?

Work hard!
  • To get anywhere in life, you need to work hard. The same goes for designing (lol).
  • You should create a schedule, for example: uploading at least once a week.
  • Keep people interested! Do QOTD (question of the day), interact with fans, make malls/homestores.
  • Join designing communities, help others, etc.
Keep trying!
  • Did one of your designs flop? Make a new one!
  • Look at popular ads, or trends in advertisements to base your ads on!
  • Try to learn new skills, like shading or hand-drawing.
  • If you aren’t getting members through ads, maybe advertise in person! GRP (Group recruiting plaza) is great for this.
Advertise~
  • Make colourful, happy advertisements!
  • Don’t make false promises in your advertisements.
  • Be charismatic and comedic with the ads.
  • Hire a GFX artist to design the ads if you aren’t good at that kind of designing.
  • Learn how to make/design ads if you can afford that~ o_o (looking at me… hahah…)
Ally with others
  • Send ally requests to groups, because their members will be able to find your group!
  • Partner with other designers and collab with your designs.
  • Try to join creator malls, etc.

#8 Starting up a clothing group after the FEE update

When the reality of the clothing fee update set in, many of us smaller designers gave up. We couldn’t afford the fees… HOWEVER!!!

Recently, I realized that there are a few ways for us to do our hobby, with the fees in place! It takes a lot of work, but from the few short tests that I’ve done, it does help a little bit! (I still detest the update, but what is done is done. We have to adapt and overcome the challenge!)

Creator Mall; your new best friend!

The Creator Mall is an amazing game, and it’s totally FREE! Basically, if you have made clothes (be it an entire catalog, or just one shirt), you can put them into here!

Players can join and go shopping, possibly even by multitudes of your clothes! It also gets your group’s name into the spotlight – which is great if you want both profit and a big group!

"But dollfuI," you might ask, "Barely anyone plays that game!"

Right you are! Not many people play it… yet. When you interact with a game (likes, shares, favorites, playing for prolonged periods of time, etc.), it is recommended to more people! Even talking about it in your online-communities can draw more players to that game.

If more players play that game – especially new players who have bought :robux: for the first time – the more profit and publicity you are guaranteed to make! Then, with the profit you have made, use it to publish more and more clothing!

Not to mention, you can also purchase ORIGINAL clothing from designers who are in-game! You can talk to them, ask for advice, etc. I would highly recommend looking into the Creator Mall! (Not to mention that by shopping there, you are slowly putting copy-farms out of business! :smiling_imp:)

Commissions; the key to success!

By ‘commissions’, I don’t mean designing highly realistic outfits that take hours to create. I’m talking about making 30-minute outfits, and selling them to people! You can do that, or simply do commissions. I prefer to ‘create then sell’ because it allows me to have more creative freedom!

Doing this also allows you to get your name/group name out there (always remember to request to be credited for ANYTHING you make!). Doing the ‘create and sell’ method is 100% allowed, because it’s basically like making a commission for someone, except you got to choose the theme, design, etc.

In many Roblox Discord Designing servers, you can easily find a ‘selling’ channel to sell your designs in! However, Discord is NOT associated with Roblox, and you should take caution when using that platform. I believe you must be 13+ to use it as well (ensure to check their TOS!). Also, out of respect, ensure that if you sell a design, delete it from your device’s files afterward, and NEVER re-sell something!

P.s. You don’t just have to make clothing as commissions! Are you good at making GFX or group logos? Great! Make then sell those instead!

To non-designers; please listen to us.

After scrolling through the comments of this post for feedback, I’ve noticed that some people have seen and read this even though they don’t design. Thanks for all the support by the way! <3

Anyway, this is probably the most important piece of advice I could give to people who don’t design clothes (or even if you do, this still applies I guess).

Always check who you buy clothing from! I don’t want to list names or anything, but by simply scrolling onto the front-page of the catalog, you can find many copy-farms.

(I am not referring to anyone by that statement, please do not take that as defamation in any way. Congratulations if you got to the front page and are an original designer! <3)

However, the reason why so many small designers don’t make enough profit to continue making clothes is that nobody is supporting them! Many people will simply buy from huge clothing brands, or from even bigger copy-farms.

Joining the Creator Mall, or clicking on advertisements can usually lead you to a growing/small clothing group! If you can support them in any way, you should do so! I always ensure to try and ONLY buy from small/original designers. If everyone does their part, then we won’t have this issue anymore!

(Not trying to throw shade at large clothing groups, congratulations on reaching that many group members! You’ve obviously worked really hard for it! <3)

-- Resources

All links have been thoroughly checked for bad things, but feel free to check them for yourself. Always get your parent/guardian’s permission before downloading anything if you are <13.

Advanced template

The advanced template that I used in this tutorial:
(I’ve been using this for so long that I can remember if I made it or if I was given it, so I will not claim credit for this. If you know the original creator of this or the person who came up with the idea for the ‘advanced’ template, please let me know and I’ll credit them.)

Divider templates

You can use these underneath the normal/advanced template to help connect each side.

Plug-ins

These are the plug-ins I’ve been using for years. They’re completely safe, but feel free to double-check if you don’t trust them. I also understand that it might be strange to link non-roblox resources, but I believe it’s better than suggesting what to look up, because I’d hate for somebody to download a fake version of these.

BoltBait’s plug-in pack
Pyrochild’s plugin-set (smudge tool)
Red Ochre’s plug-in pack (furblur)

Not a plugin, but a colour wheel: Adobe Colour
^ You don’t need to install this, it’s available on the internet.

I’ve never had issues with these, and I’d recommend watching a tutorial on how to instal them for paint.

Games

Creator Mall
Group Recruiting Plaza

Videos/Tutorials

(These may take you to YouTube, so please have a parent/guardian’s permission if you are <13)

Aveata: She makes wonderful videos specifically about designing. Check her out!
Siskella: A m a z i n g speed designs, very good for visual learners.

Starter guide to making clothing: Icyella
Lots of tips about designing: Aveata
How to shade: Aveata
Do’s and Don’ts: GirleMango

I hope this helps! If there’s anything I need to add, remove, change, etc. from this post, please let me know. I’d hate to accidentally offend someone with this, because I’m simply trying to help.

Feel free to discuss how you feel about this in the comments! I’d love to hear everyone’s designer stories.

141 Likes

Just a tip for future! Try and avoid using black for shading! Instead, use darker colours of the base.

13 Likes

I’ve been using paintdotnet for close to a decade and never knew you could use the gaussian blur for shading and highlights like that. Thank you for the detailed guide!

5 Likes

Black can be a better alternative sometimes. And I think she used black so that it was easier to see for the tutorial. (:

6 Likes

If it’s a general template, (imo) it’s better to use black. By making it an overlay, it matches the colour the outfit! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes. Although sometimes it is very harsh. Soft light is also an alternative to overlay. It varies on the outfit.

Anyway, thank you for the somewhat quite detailed guide, I’ll be sure to share it.

2 Likes

I 100% agree, which is why I prefer to shade by hand. Shading templates, in general, can be quite harsh when trying to overlay them with multiple colours.

edit: grammar

3 Likes

Yes! But the template is a good starting idea.

1 Like

I love this article ty! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

:crown: One of the best tutorials ever. Thank you so much for formatting everything in detail dropdowns and custom text banners which really add a pop of color to your article. I don’t use paint.net as I have a Mac but the way you explain allows me to understand how I could do it with another program.
:star: Thanks so much!

2 Likes

This is so cool, to be honest, i dont make clothing myself, but i can tell how useful this can be for others! Thanks for sharing

4 Likes

Had some awesome tips in it, wish I’d have seen this when starting out in clothing design.

4 Likes

I think that you should explain how hard things could be in the beginning. As a designer I know how hard things can be at times and you should explain how your clothing are probably goig to look terrible when you start which is ok.

5 Likes

UPDATE: 05/03/2021 (DD/MM/YYYY) |

• New category added ‘Starting a clothing group with fees?’ !
    Hopefully this will give some help to people struggling with the clothing fee! Good luck designers!

• Please let me know if the ideas in the new category have already been stated by someone else, I’ll ensure to credit them if they came up with them before I did!

2 Likes

What an outstanding article! I especially liked the ‘‘spice up’’ ideas. Very helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

thank you for the tips! these are indeed very helpful :))

3 Likes

I would actually do the shading in black, but then make it a lower opacity, so it fits the bases color.

1 Like

If you are not prepared for someone to: Not pay you, say they don’t like the outfit, or give you harsh criticism, you are not ready to start commissions.

I don’t plan on opening up commissions soon since I have a lot more to learn, and I don’t want to put myself out there until I’m confident, but for future reference, when you say “Not pay you”, what should I do in that scenario? If I’ve worked hard on an outfit for someone, I can handle them saying that they don’t like it, but if they don’t pay me, am I still supposed to give them the outfit, do I not give it to them, or what do I do? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

1 Like

Never give people a commission whether it is a clothing design, code, or modelling/building, until you receive payment. They are paying for a service, you provided the service, and they need to pay if they want it.

3 Likes

Not a dumb question at all! A situation like this can be very confusing.

(I apologize in advance, this is basically a whole post in itself. If you want to discuss more, feel free to DM me here on the DevForum! I’m happy to help you out!)

Scenarios that might occur
  • Usually, if someone appears sketchy (not using proper grammar, not giving details, etc.), decline the commission before you even start.

• If you are nervous that someone might not pay for a design, then make them agree to a contract. They must give a down-payment (basically just collateral). Then, send them updates as you go along (screenshots of the sleeves, a screenshot of half of the outfit, etc.)

• If you have finished a commission – no contract or anything – and then the client says that they cannot pay for the design, then you have a few options. Keep in mind you can do multiple of these at the same time.

1. You ‘blacklist’ them from your business so that they cannot order from you in the future.

2. You negotiate with them. Ask what they want to be changed, or if they just don’t want it anymore. Let them know that they cannot have it unless they pay the full price. Ask to be compensated for the inconvenience with half of the original price, etc. (This really sucks, but it’s better to get paid a little bit than to not get paid at all.). Just ensure to say to them that they need to pay the full price to receive the item, and the ‘half-price’ is just for the inconvenience.

3. If they haven’t responded, or refuse to pay anything, try to either resell the design to someone else (through designing discord servers), or save it for the future. Use it incase someone wants something really similar!

• If someone just suddenly ghosts you, they won’t respond to you asking for payment, etc. Then that is just really bad luck. I’ve had people respond to me up until the point where I go to ask for payment. There is basically nothing you can do about it, and in this case, just keep the design for personal use or resell it. Ensure to let the client know that this is happening! You would tell them that due to them exceeding the time-limit for payment to be accepted, their design is now being repurposed and that they can no longer purchase it.

My personal way of avoiding this

Communication is key!

1. Before I begin

1. Before I begin, I clearly tell the client something along the lines of:

“Please note: After completion, you will have 3 days to give me the full payment. If this time limit is exceeded, your design will be repurposed for my own intent. You will no longer be able to purchase it, and it may or may not be sold to another client. During the designing process, I will be sending you screenshots of my progress – it is up to you whether or not you respond to them. Changes cannot be made once the final piece has been completed unless you are willing to pay the (full-price) + (1/4 of the full price)”

2. Ensure that they're not sketchy

2. I ensure that they are not sketchy
If someone isn’t using proper grammar, or if they seem really strange, I will simply decline the commission.

Example:

Sketchy behaviour

Sketchy:

“ye and the clothtsing and is red. i only pay 200”

“Uhm… sure I can be online sometime to buy it… Oh… 1000 for the full outfit? Sure I guess… Maybe…”

• Their answers are very short or don’t have a lot of details to provide.
  • They seem annoyed or shocked by the price which you stated in your portfolio.
  • They appear to not know how a commission works, or have never done them before.
How to decline a commission
  • Be polite, but be confident.
  • Don’t insult them, or be disrespectful towards them (even if they are being that way to you)
  • Say something like:

“I apologize for the inconvenience, but your behavior is giving me sketchy vibes. I am not comfortable in continuing this commission, and I will not be stating my reasons as to why. Please refrain from contacting me after this point, otherwise, I will have to block you. Have a nice day.”

Everything is up to you!

Never feel pressured into a commission. If you don’t feel comfortable making something (goes against your personal values, you don’t think you have the skill to make it, etc.), then decline the commission.

It is much more polite to simply say: I’m sorry, but I can’t make this for you. Rather than getting halfway through a commission, and having to decline it. It’s really embarrassing and upsetting for both parties.

My personal opinion

This is completely my opinion, and shouldn’t be used to base any decisions. I’d recommend you hear it though.

Sometimes, designers may ask for payment before they start a commission. Now, this is totally fine… until something goes wrong. If you become burnt out, too tired, you find out that the difficulty of making this outfit is extreme, you can’t finish the commission, etc.

Declining a commission once the client has already paid is very unprofessional, and may be seen as scamming. Personally, I have never asked for payment before a commission. Sometimes, even a down payment can fall under the same scenarios as the ones above.

If you decide to take this route, just understand that problems can occur. The client has more control over you, since they have already paid a lot of Robux, and they don’t want to receive something that is of poor quality.

HOWEVER

DO NOT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY! What I said above is referring to before you start a commission! Once you have finished the outfit, DO NOT hand it over to the client BEFORE they have paid!

If you hand over an outfit before someone has paid, they can just save it, then ghost you. If you try and call them out on it, they could just say that ‘they definitely did pay for it!’. So, just remember, payment happens before you hand the outfit over, but not before you even start the commission.

Here’s a time-line if it helps to understand what I’ve said:

Time-line of a commission
  1. You talk to the client about the commission.

2. You start the commission.

3. You finished the outfit, and send the client a screenshot of it (as proof of completion, but make sure to scribble over the screenshot so that they can’t steal it, or make the screenshot only part of the outfit!)

4. YOU ASK FOR PAYMENT!

5. -client pays cutely-

6. You hand over the outfit

As said by LowPolys, never give people a commission until you receive payment.

Hope that this helps you out a bit, and sorry for the long read!
(If you didn’t understand anything, feel absolutely free to DM me here on the DevForum!)

1 Like