Clothing Folds And 3D Clothes Blender 2.8/2.82/2.9

Intro

This tutorial is about how to make 3D clothes and clothing folds for blender versions 2.8, 2.82 and 2.9. Keep in mind any version lower won’t work and you should refer to this post. I’ve written this with the help of @SoftGB. You can check his video here. Make sure to follow the steps for a good quality clothing folds. Please keep in mind this is only to show how to make 3D clothing and clothing folds we won’t be going over graphics you can use YouTube for more information on that. Best of luck and hope you enjoy, @Strongjohnfgamer and @SoftGB .

Resources

1. If you don’t have blender 2.8/2.82 already download it. That’s why it’s 0 cause might not be a step.

2. A blender rig I personally use this one but any rig where you can go into sculpt mode without it messing up will work.

3. Download the cloth brush and instal to blender. Here is the Windows and Mac Version download link.

4. Some sort of method to spawn a player/rig into studio to export somewhere you can access it.

Steps

1. Open your Roblox Studio and load in what ever avatar you would like to use.
Step One Photo

1. Right-click on the mode/group and click export and save it somewhere you can find it. (Only export the body and no accessories like wings, hats, etc)
Step Two Photo

1. Crop out all the skin parts (not the face or face skin) and move them to a new file and keep the clothing so you should have one file of skin and the other of clothing don’t change the position (What I like to do is just make a solid color image file if there isn’t much to the skin)
Step Three Photo

1. Open Blender 2.8/2.82 make sure you have the blender with clothing folds enabled go up to the top bar and select sculpting and scroll down to the circle that says none if it’s not their try opining it manually and adding the rig by doing file open.
Step Four Photo

1. Once your rig has loaded in the game select “Viewport Shading” which is the solid circle then the little drop down arrow and select “Texture”.
Step Five Photo

1. Depending on the rig the method of importing a NPC’s texture will be different but for the rig I’m using select the head then go down and select the Material Properties.
Step Six Photo

1. Then select the shader drop down and then click Surface and “Principled BSDF”
Step Seven Photo

1. Select the circle by the base color and select image texture.
Step Eight Photo

1. After that click open and find your file. (Not the color skin file the clothing one)
Step Nine Photo

(What you should have)

1. Next drag up the bottom tab and select clock icon and select “Shader Editor” and connect alpha too alpha.
Step Ten Photo

1. Now select the part and right click then “Set Origin” then select “Origin To Geometry” and do this for each part.
Step Eleven Photo

1. Now select one part and do “Shift D” (Don’t move your mouse) and then “Left Click Once” and press “s” then type “.95” then “Left Click Once”. Now you should have two different parts one slightly larger than the other.
Step Twelve Photo

1. Now click the little button by the texture. (the number will change)
Step Thirteen Photo

1. Then select the little file button and find your skin file and upload it. If it’s all shaded and uneven go to “Object Date Properties” and uncheck “auto smooth”.
Step Fourteen Photo

1. Repeat steps 12-14 for each part of the body

2. (Make sure to start with the skin or smallest part then the largest) Now click the little wrench icon called “Modifier Properties” then click the “X” on Subsurf and click “Add Modifier” then “Multires”. Once that’s done go down and click the subdivide button 3-4 times.

Step Sixteen Photo

1. Repeat Step 16 to all the body parts same steps apply

2. Select a part of clothing and go down to where it says “Object Mode” and click sculpt then scroll down to the clothing folds tool for the time being it says “NONE” (might change in the future) and sculpt your folds for each part.

Step Eighteen Photo

Cloth

1. Now you’re done good work! :smiley: (Feel free to pose your character or add any other things to your GFX/Render.)
Final Sample

Feel free to add other things like HDRIs, texture, surroundings, etc to bring your GFX/Render more to life. Best of luck, John

43 Likes

Um… the download link for cloth brush is broken?

8 Likes

This is super cool! I might try this out. Thank you! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think we can download the blender version with the brushtool on the official blender website for windows

Link - Blender Builds - blender.org
Download the 2.83 beta

5 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial. I’ll change my post view to “watching” so I know when the tool issue is resolved on windows, as I am on windows.

That rig is 5 dollars, woah. Not buying that, :laughing:.

2 Likes

@ProvenData I am having trouble (I am using the 2.91 alpha version) for some reason the larger arms turn black when I change it to the rendered/material view do you have a fix for this?

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure how 2.91 works but I believe this is because it’s a PNG. Maybe ask around in some of the Blender Forums seeing as they know a bit more. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Click on it, go to material tab, go to viewport visibility, search around till you find two options right ontop of eachother that says opaque or something that has those two options, change it to alpha blend/alpha hashed (something of those two, mess around with it).

That’ll fix the issue.

Also another tip, dont make an entire texture filled to skin, just copy and paste the skin part to another texture, this’ll ensure that the emptry parts (hidden by the clothes) are empty meaning you can get more folds in those areas without clipping issues.

Also, use the updated versions, the brush is already installed with them. And they’re more stable.

However, if I’m not mistaken, a video tutorial of this already exists? Unless you’re just doing a devforum version which is read-only for people with lower end devices?

8 Likes

Wow! Thanks I did the skin thing and I’m about to try the opaque issue. (edit, yes it does work thank you)

Does this 3D clothing work on all body types and not just blocky?

Any body shape will work. However you may have to change some of the steps if you’re not using the same rig.

1 Like

Oh no, I am saying if I we’re to use this 3D clothing in my game, will it automatically fit other bodytypes as well?

1 Like

This is not for seamless in-game usage. In order to do that, you would use the same method but then import and rig each part in-game. You’d pretty much have to do everything yourself while only using the cloth brush tool.