Clothing Previewer Plugin - Test Clothing Without Uploading!

This is a fork of XAXA’s Local File Importer Plugin, specialized for previewing clothing!
Now that shirts and pants cost Robux to upload, I felt that clothing designers need some more options for testing out their work, so I hope this is helpful for any designers out there!

If you have any suggestions for additional features or quality-of-life improvements, please let me know!

Plugin:

Video Demo:

I’m actually a former clothing designer myself so the templates in the demo were pulled from my old projects. Any character rig works, you can even use your own avatar if you want.

How to Use:

If you are familiar with the Local File Importer plugin, it works pretty much the same, but instead of inserting a decal, it inserts a shirt or pants. You may refer to that post for more detailed instructions since most of the functionality carries over.

1. Click on the “Import Templates” button
  2. Select all the clothing templates you want to upload
  3. In the plugin window, you can do one of two things:
    • Left-click the template you want to preview
      • Click on a character’s legs to insert as pants
      • Click on a character’s torso, arms, or head to insert as a shirt
    • Right-click for more options

Notes:

• Sometimes Studio incorrectly renders pants as a shirt. Insert an actual shirt to fix this.
  • Hovering over a character rig does not display the clothing if it’s already wearing something.
  • Re-importing the same file into the plugin creates a separate file instead of overwriting the old one.

Pros:

• By far one of the fastest methods
  • User-friendly
  • Familiar interface from an existing plugin
  • No moderation
  • Works with any place file (local, private, public)

Cons:

• Doesn’t save once you close studio
  • You need to reupload the template if you made changes
  • Only works locally (other collaborators can’t see it in team create)

Alternatives:

Not to make this a PSA, but here are some other options and resources in case you don’t want to use this plugin:

None of these methods are perfect, so it depends on what works best for you.

67 Likes

I’ve been using the Local File Importer plugin to preview my clothes so this will be very helpful considering I needed to copy then paste the id into the shirttemplate. Thank you!

4 Likes

Adding to the Alternatives list: https://ingame.clothing (free tool, no ads)

In particular if you want to avoid Roblox Studio for any reason (like you’re on a tablet, or don’t use Studio otherwise).

See Clothing Previewer and 3D drawing (e.g. Procreate 3D) for details.

Cheers

3 Likes

Hi this plugin is amazing! However, I seem to be encountering an issue with the woman rig that I don’t have with the blocky rig where the pants will appear as a shirt instead regardless of where I click on the model.

Edit: Fixed, just had to duplicate the shirt : ) thanks for the plugin again!