Code Assist Beta: AI powered code completion

True and I forgot about that you can’t use DMCA on Roblox

1 Like

sorry for two week reply, i don’t come by here too often.

compared to how corporate and soulless roblox has been (cough cough removing the beloved chill, man, and woman faces), this script writing AI, even tho its silly and low quality, is fire!

2 Likes

Would be nice if you can just ask the AI to optimize your whole script like how chatgpt-4 does it

2 Likes

Some people just want to make money, I get it. You just need to keep a balance between customers and price (a lot of plugins fail to do that) and that’s the main problem with them. another problem is I, along with many other people, are broke (seriously this is a children’s platform and little Timmy here who’s parent(s) don’t want to pay for roblox and now Timmy is angry because Timmy cant buy the plugin he wants and now he is mad at roblox because he is a little child and boom now everything’s gone wrong. BUT if there are no paid stuff now roblox is broke and same with devs so no devs come here and boom everything’s shutdown.

edit (we should probably get back on topic lol)

1 Like

ok i was typing fix soon and it automatically did the assist. What is this roblox?
(i have 0 clue who that is)

just opened it up and it seems to lead to a random 2016 inactive player that has problably never even downloaded studio
idk just thought i would share this its pretty funny

tldr; random inactive kid got a free shoutout

5 Likes

i need help with this plsssss

3 Likes

I don’t understand how that relates to anything else said? Atleast my posts sort of made since but please stay on topic

1 Like

It’s a use case that won’t happen.

Paid plugins aren’t a joke, they’re a tool someone spent time and effort putting together. You don’t get a hammer from the store for free do you?

Edit: I’m not at all saying all paid plugins should be paid, some are really low quality for example. I’m talking about paid plugins as a concept.

If you can’t pay for a plugin, why don’t you make it yourself for free?
If you can’t do that either, you should suddenly understand why it would be paid.

What open source community does it hurt? Roblox is a platform for building games (or experiences, whatever), not an open source collaboration platform, even if it has collaboration features.
Also, paid plugins can also be open source or be a hybrid of proprietary and non-proprietary code, like how Moon Animator has paid themes you can use but the actual core animating features are free.

If you’re an open source fanatic look at Godot which is open source instead.

1 Like

And then someone steals all your hard work making a paid plugin with the AI code assist feature:

1 Like

That just isn’t how that works, the code assist feature doesn’t output others code directly, it adapts code it’s seen before to the context.
It won’t just output someones script to you, it will learn from the samples it sees to output similar code in the future, much like how we learn to code.

This means that even if it were trained on a paid plugins’ code, it won’t actually give you the exact plugin code, there’s going to be too much other code in the code assist AI model influencing it to output something else.

The code assist feature isn’t an all-seeing eye and it doesn’t just output others code, it writes code similarly to how anyone else does, it learns from lots of code and then writes similar code.

Similarly, conversations you have with ChatGPT can and likely will be used by OpenAI to train ChatGPT further (unless you disable that), however ChatGPT won’t directly output anybody elses’ chat history to you as is, it’s just talking similarly to how it’s learnt others do.

If you’re gonna say things like this, please look into it a little more first.

2 Likes

This is mostly the case, but even a little bit of paid plugins’ code may be significant enough to the point where it is outright plagiarism.

2 Likes

Pretty cool concept, but if it’s just a worse version of co-pilot what’s the point, I feel like this might negatively impact Roblox creation more so than help. Luckily it seems like the AI can’t be a systems architect quite yet which at least allows genuine scripters to at least retain that part.

2 Likes

Not sure exactly how it works but I think gpt-4 is more expensive. Although I think they should at least use gpt-3 because gpt-2 is almost never helpful…

3 Likes

THE MEANING OF LIFE ONE- :skull:

it’s so weird yet so funny at the same time

4 Likes

I wasn’t aware that they actually have an option for it, I just discovered this. How long has it been here for?

3 Likes

what did you put in the second image?

So I had this BETA enabled since it was released, and completely forgot about it. Simply because it would NEVER trigger, even when I use comments, or purposely try to trigger it. ATP I’m just gonna get Rojo and use co-pilot because at least that works.

I would not reccomend using the AI assistant simply because it rarely works, and because like many have noted here, if it does work, it’s extremely buggy.

1 Like

What’s Rojo, pray tell?

(lalalalalala trying to get the minimum number of characters)

1 Like

This is super cool but at the same time very scary for those who spent years learning to code.

Sorry my response is so late, Rojo is a tool that allows you to connect Roblox Studio to Visual Studio Code. It syncs up and allows you to edit scripts in VSC