Collaborative Editing updates

Good point, will add a reference to that as well.

3 Likes

Nice update.

More along this vein, could we get the popup when you try to publish or save an object that is uncommitted or has uncommitted descendants?

When working on a plugin in TC, I constantly forgot to commit before saving it as local plugin.

1 Like

Does this mean we can commit multiple drafts at once? Or is this coming in a later build?

Same with copying & duplicating. (Or basically any action on an uncommitted object where what is intuitively expected to happen doesn’t necessarily happen.) I don’t tend to copy uncommitted scripts often, but I do sometimes, usually for backup reasons or quick-starting another script, and a popup like this would be a helpful reminder. If you think that copying uncommitted scripts is bad practice, a popup would encourage developers to not do that as well.

2 Likes

A commit button in the Drafts widget is a really nice addition to this.

Is there a thought of adding a commit option when you right click a script name in the top bar?

We added one! It will not be available until next week.

Yes, “Apply Edits” will be changed to “Commit Draft”

2 Likes

I phrased it wrong, I should have said, “Is a nice addition” and not “will be”

Let me give my full and honest opinion:

I dislike this Collaborative Editing feature because its just one more thing I have to remember to do whenever I want to publish my game. I really disagree with it being the default because the feature isn’t necessary when you are the only programmer on a project, because your going to be the only one that is editing scripts. I think that this applies to most projects, because projects starting out don’t always have a lot of capital to hire multiple programmers.

I think this should only be an opt-in feature, because I feel its a real obstacle having to turn the feature off every time you want to work on a new game, and then restart studio.

I’m not one who doesn’t like change, but this throws an obstacle into my workflow, and at some points makes me quite annoyed with the feature. I appreciate all that you guys do, and can’t want for the upcoming changes to the script editor, but I cannot see myself using this feature in the future.

1 Like

IAmPinleon, we added ability to commit multiple drafts (aka batch commit) in Feb. See Batch Commits for Collaborative Editing are now available!

1 Like

@EmeraldSlash - we will add this to our list. If copying a draft used the new source and created a new draft with it, seems like that would address your need?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @phenomizonalt. It’s understandable there will be cases where a commit workflow is not applicable to everyone e.g. single programmer as you mentioned. The other post had examples of teams who have existing workflow e.g. where they divvy up scripts per person etc.

I mentioned on the other post, but will note here as well that we are considering adding a Studio preference for ‘commit on close’ - so this will be your preference that you set once. Hope that will help address your concern? I don’t have a timeline for this yet, but will definitely announce on the forum when this is available.

2 Likes

Ah, @joritochip, yes we tried to provide a commit button in the publish warning dialog but that was a larger change. We are hoping to add that at a later point.

1 Like

Great! I hope to see this added in the future. Thanks for a swift update regarding the suggestion :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I’d prefer drafts to be off always. Last patch without me knowing drafts existed, I spent a couple hours attempting to fix a bug that only existed because a prior patch wasn’t being added. Just started of negatively.

That would actually cause problems with what I usually use uncommitted copying for (on-the-fly backups):

• Make lots of changes to a script but don’t commit, then decide to create a backup of the old version by copying it and chucking it somewhere in ServerStorage.

I could modify this so that I would use the copied version as the new copy and the initial version as the backup… but I would prefer to not use the uncommitted version as it is more consistent with how commits work – not committed isn’t published, so it follows that not committed isn’t copied.

Instead I would suggest just having a warning message or something like you get when you publish with uncommitted changes.

To be honest I always disable collaborative scripting because of having to commit the drafts. Copied uncommitted scripts that are pasted will just be scripts marked as “print(“Hello World!”)” and this is honestly a pain. I feel as if this should be disabled by default as most scripters work independently on scripts. I also believe this could make it harder for new scripters to learn as they could be wondering why a script isn’t working, and it to be that they didn’t commit the draft. Please consider this, even if you just add a feature to choose which features are enabled by default.

Thank you!, -HiddenKaiser

1 Like

Is there a shortcut to commit all of your drafts? For example, if I have 20 drafts, do I have to individually right click and commit each of them?

1 Like

Finnaly I’m not going to lose my scripts again

I don’t like Collaborative Editing for one reason, it’s unreliable. You may ask why? Well most of the time when I press “Commit” it will get stuck in this process for ever, and I can’t retry or cancel it in any way, if I try to close Roblox Studio, it will not allow me to, so I am forced each time to open Task Manager and forcefully kill Roblox Studio process, and reopen studio again, and write all the code over again, which is super annoying. Can Roblox fix this?, so the process cannot get stuck, as if it get’s then when I save, the entire place fails to open later on but if it opens the Terrain is completely corrupted, and I need redo everything or open the latest working backup file. I would rather stick with the old method of scripting in Roblox Studio Team Create, so I would like Roblox to keep option to disable or enable the Collaborative Editing, since it’s unreliable and also I like the old method.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.