Color Bubble Effect Demo

Spent a bit of time this evening pulling off this fun color/grayscale bubble effect. Thought I’d share it here :). This is nothing more than a cosmetic glass/rendering effect that I’m sure must have been done before.

But enjoy, nonetheless!

Demo place can be found here.

24 Likes

This looks really cool :slight_smile: When would you implement this in a game?

2 Likes

That loooks so dope. :fire: :fire:
I love it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much :).

Have a good one.

1 Like

This was simply just for fun. But now it’s something I’m looking to possibly implementing in a project I’m currently working on.

1 Like

This looks like the perfect effect to make a Za Warudo attack

4 Likes

Really impressed, how did you do this?? jus gimmie a little clue XD

3 Likes

how did you even do that, jesus that looks so unique and I’ve seen nothing like this on roblox before damn

2 Likes

How is this even possible? The contrast is so sharp. I would love this as free model, script, or even plugin. It’s honestly so cool. I want to see what you do with it. There are so many possibilities.

1 Like

Nice! Is it a brick, or a GUI effect?

1 Like

It looks like a BillboardGui. Cool!

1 Like

This would be good for games that you need the viewer to pay attention to a key detail in a show or something. It’s cool!

1 Like

It’s actually very simple! It’s just me taking advantage of glass rendering properties. I designed a color version of the map you see above, then I made a grayscale version by averaging each part’s RGB values. I then set the transparency of every BasePart within the grayscale map to 0.02. This ensured that the glass material wouldn’t render it, making the glass material an effective clipping mask (clipping the gray map to reveal the rainbow map). I then did a bit of Skybox hackin’ to get some plain skyboxes (thanks to @Elttob’s Box method).

Lastly, I attached a glass ball to the player and resized it based on the camera’s distance to the ball.

Pretty simple stuff, I highly recommend playing around with glass properties– simple, yet effective and quite fun to look at.

7 Likes

I’m bookmarking this. This was very helpful. Thanks.

1 Like

Absolutely! No problem :slight_smile:

Ha very cool, something in my game that i consider a bug is a feature in yours XDXD

1 Like

It’s a great property for mechanic usage, so I’ll definitely look into using this for other things in the future :).

Problem is you gotta build a whole game around it, it way too much of a complex setup just to use as at attack effect or something. but if your making a metroidvania about returning colour to a magical land it’d be amazing…!! XD

1 Like

That’s actually what I’m doing for my current project– returning color to a magical land.

1 Like

Really cool! I’m astonished! :+1:

1 Like