Command bar is extremely unstable when simulation is paused and command bar is on local state

As of version 0.617, when the simulation is paused via the Pause button in the test menu and the studio setting “Command bar operates on local state at breakpoint” is enabled, many operations in the command bar cause a crash. Everything continues as normal for about a second until Studio throws the “unexpected error” message and freezes up. Breakpoints and RunService methods are not affected.

So far I’ve reproduced the issue with the following operations:

• Any method, global (print(...), getmetatable(...)) or not (task.wait(...), buffer.create(...))
  • type() and typeof() (outside type declarations)
  • local var = ... (crashed with userdata (instances, enums etc), Vector3, _G, constants (math.huge), interpolated strings)
  • var = ... (global, seems to always crash instead)
  • pairs() and ipairs() (generalised iteration still works)

Keywords appear to work; the following code sample if true then repeat break until true export type a = number for i = 1, 10 or 5 do continue end return end doesn’t seem to cause a crash. Syntax errors and type annotations/casts also don’t seem to cause crashes either.

No beta features or plugins were enabled for any of these tests.

Repro

1. Open any place
  2. Turn on the setting “Command bar operates on local state at breakpoint”
  3. Run the game (play and run don’t seem to matter)
  4. Try doing some stuff in the command bar, studio should crash on some operations

A private message is associated with this bug report

1 Like

Thank you for the bug report. Can you confirm if you have this setting enabled?

I can reproduce a crash while paused through the pause button with this setting on, but not with it off.

1 Like

looks like i left this on for the tests, i’m getting the same behavior too and i’ll update the report

The fix has shipped! After a Studio restart this crash should no longer occur. Please reach out if there are any other problems.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.