Compatibility Lighting becomes Retro Tone Mapping [Sunset + Migration]

No! Please don’t delete Compatibility! It’s good for games like RetroStudio and others, But now These games might be ruined!

RetroStudio has already switched and looks the same.

Read the full post and migrate, barely anything changes.

1 Like

i’m not migrating until there is better tonemapping.

You mean extra features? The tonemap is literally the same one used for compatibility

5 Likes

This is easily solvable by using the ColorGradingEffect with Retro ToneMapperPreset Roblox provided.

1 Like

The retro tonemapping looks really good with sunsets.

1 Like

I await this day… Cel shading would unlock so many new style possibilities.

Can’t people just adjust the lighting slightly to fix it?

I really don’t get what the complaints are about

3 Likes

Most of the complaints come from those that are lazy to migrate an adjust the lighting on their Experience(s).
an those that are over exaggerating. :uhh:

3 Likes

You can’t just “adjust your lighting”. Some things can’t be fixed like shadows or light glitches.

These are handled by the same system meaning that any “glitches” present on voxel are also present in Compatibility. Compatibility is just Voxel with muted colors and a brightness clamp on lights, and the developers have already provided a script you can run to return those values to a normal level.

1 Like

You clearly haven’t tried it yourself. Go to a place with compatibility and find an area with loads of shadows. Then migrate and see the ridiculous differences between the 2.

You cannot “script” shadows by the way.

more than “barely anything” changes

I’m talking about how it generally looks. Not the visual effects. As I’ve explained many times, it will look like nothing even happened unless your game has loads of shadowed areas or bright instances.

The bright light instances can easily be fixed with the provided codes.

The shadows can sometimes be improved by making your ambience lighter but usually it will just delete the shading entirely, from the shadowed areas.

If i have to be fully honest my only complaint is the games that don’t get actively updated anymore and will most likely never get their lighting fixed if there’s any extremely bright lights.

EDIT: If you want an example of a game that will get slightly affected then look at the original Flood Escape by Crazyblox, the lights that you see in the extreme room area that are on the walls use a bright value and will be brighter than ingame at the moment.

Flood Escape will be slightly altered, but other games may have even worse effects (brightness 100+ and so on), thats my only issue with this, i dont mind the shadows being darker as much as the light brightness not being capped.

2 Likes

This is already possible within Future. Use small transparent parts with Gobo decals and an attachment with a parented SpotLight.

1 Like

No, I meant as a texture you can apply itself. The transparent parts are limited for that type of lighting

There has got to be a way to, at least eventually, mimic the shadow intensity clamping that compatibility had. I am having severe artifacts show up in some of the builds of my game due to the fact there happens to be an object overhanging slightly, creating this dark black voids that weren’t there before changing to voxel.
Manually making stuff not cast shadows isn’t really a solution either, since in compatibility, there were shadows casted upon the object by itself, but if I make every part creating the dark void underneath not cast shadows, it just looks poor.

1 Like

In a game I maintain the colors are noticably off with the “Retro tone mapping”
The color are already off as the game was originally made in 2011, this just makes it 100x worse than it was

I am not looking forward to this

The game btw, migrated since i cant avoid it

1 Like

And you definitely pressed the migrate button? Instead of just changing to voxel and adding the retro preset on your tonemapper?

Because there are several other adjustments the migration makes, for the lighting to look accurate