Congregations of PackageLinks Causing Framerate Drops

Description

Congregations of models with PackageLinks causing severe framerate drops when moving camera around them while the models are within view.

Bug is not place-specific and has been replicated in multiple places, although using the same group of models.

Bug is not client-specific, had a friend of mine reproduce the steps below to ensure it wasn’t just an issue on my end.

Discovery Date

10/10/2019

Reproduction

PackageLink Example.rbxl (392.8 KB)

1. Open Place file
  2. Open up the Workspace by clicking on a model or pressing the dropdown arrow in the Explorer
  3. Fly or wiggle your camera around the group of models in the Place file using WASD
  4. The framerate drops should be noticeable when the models are in view of the camera

To alleviate the issue:

1. Filter the Explorer for “PackageLink”
  2. Delete any PackageLinks from the Workspace
  3. The framerate should return to normal

Micro-profile Dump

microprofile-20191110-154910.html (654.8 KB)

(Not sure if I did this part right, apologies if I didn’t.)

How I Discovered The Bug

When I opened a place of mine that I upload my assets to on October 10th and accessed the Workspace, I noticed severe framerate drops while trying to move my camera.

I began testing to find the cause of the issue by deleting models in the place until I narrowed it down to a group of models. After discovering that the issue stemmed from a group of models, I investigated the models to see what they had in common, which is the PackageLinks. Upon deleting all of the PackageLinks from the models, the issue resolved itself.

I had a friend of mine recreate the bug to ensure it wasn’t just my client, he noticed the same framerate drops as I experienced.

PC Specs

GPU: GeForce RTX 2070
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO-CF
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 64 GB

Drivers are all up to date.

5 Likes

Hi @Ardwyck, thanks for reporting! I’m looking into it.

1 Like

@Ardwyck Can you please verify this is fixed? Thank you!

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like it’s fixed. I tested using the Reproduction place by copying and pasting the models a couple of times. Framerate drops still occur.

Hi Ardwyck, we’ve released another fix to address the issue. Can you please check it again? Thanks!

2 Likes

Seems like it’s completely fixed, thank you so much. This’ll make life significantly easier.

1 Like