Consistent lag spiking in studio

Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

Every 2 or so seconds studio has a lag spike that lasts about half a second. Studio runs very smoothly for me normally.

How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

Bug happens consistently over 2 seconds, without fail.

Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

Happens in studio regardless of the place. Happens on baseplate as well.

Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.

All drivers are up-to-date.

CPU: Intel i5-8400 Coffee Lake processor @2.8Ghz
GPU: AMD RX-580 @8GB VRAM
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 Dual-Channeled
MOBO: Alienware 0VDT73

When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

It seems to have started yesterday.

Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.

Restarting my computer does not fix it. It seems to get worse when moving or panning the camera. Switching graphics api seems to slightly affect how long the lag spike lasts.

Edit: Reinstalling graphics driver does nothing.

Edit2: The issue seems related to plugin widgets from what multiple people are reporting. Upon closing a specific plugin which didn’t bother me before the issue seems to have stopped entirely.

Edit3: The entire performance issue seems to stem from a regression with a feature used by plugins that are negatively affecting performance.

10 Likes

This may be due to outdated or bugged graphics drivers. You may want to try either installing a slightly older version of your drivers or check if they are up do date.

1 Like

I’ll try reinstalling my graphics driver and see if that works.

1 Like

I can seem to confirm this. My computer is giving me this slow speeds image
and I have no explanation for it. What is affecting me the most is slow render speeds. I even changed the edit quality level and quality lever to automatic, when I had it at the max level and had never seen any problem or spike. I’ve resarted my computer atleast 4 times, but the problem still persits. What stays the same is the fact that the render is extermelly and unexplainably slow

1 Like

I am also having this issue. I have updated my graphics driver to the latest. I have done everything I can, I had an update scheduled tonight and I can’t seem to get even a basic baseplate to not lag spike.

5 Likes

Could you check if the main problem is also with the render? This way we can know if that is a possible common source of the lag (go to view -> summary)

1 Like

Indeed it is. Render goes up massively for no reason whatsoever. My physics is also high. Mind you this is on a baseplate with nothing on it. It’s incredibly strange.

1 Like

Im not sure, but i do think this can be a robloxcritical post @DevEngagementTeam , since it affects the ability to develop for multiple developers, and the source problem seems to be the same for all, a huge lag in render.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say so just yet, my AMD drivers turned out to be bugged out, so I’m currently reinstalling, I’ll tell you if it still happens afterwards.

Also it only appears to be a couple people right now, not sure if that’s worth making it Roblox critical yet.

2 Likes

yup, I’m also getting this issue, I’m getting amazing fps drops to… 0 fps.

Yeah no, reinstalling my graphics drivers did nothing, although it was bugged out so I guess that’s good.

I encountered this issue earlier in Studio, on MacOS. Nothing seems smooth until a few seconds into the session.

1 Like

Think this should be ROBLOXCRITICAL by now, it seems to have impacted more people and a few developers of mine also are having issues with this now.

2 Likes

@DevEngagementTeam has been notified, given I’m not 100% sure yet.

Edit: I highly doubt this has the severity needed to make it ROBLOXCRITICAL. Though I still think it’s worth waiting for a response.

yeah, because a lot of my developer friends are experiencing this, including me, I’m getting fps drops to 0 FPS.

DxDiag.txt (161.0 KB)

z e r o f p s

I’m also getting these issues. My studio will run at 20-30 FPS in Play Solo but in game it runs at 60 FPS.

Just a quick thing, but the issue seems to be tied to certain plugin widgets acting up. Can anybody here confirm that the issue is related?

I also managed to fix my issue by disabling a plugin which kept track of time for me, normally it doesn’t cause any issues but since yesterday it caused my studio to lag somehow.

May I ask which plugin that was? I have a variety of plugins.

It’s hyperlinked, just click the word, “plugin”

Hm, I don’t seem to have that one.