Constructive Criticism On This Tree

Hello there. My team made a tree on Roblox. This is the first “alone” built (meaning that no free models were used), and we would like some constructive criticism on it. Please leave any suggestions and feedback on this thread.

Here is a picture:

Here is the model of his tree that we made public: Simple Tree - Roblox

Thank you.

14 Likes

I like the way that your friend has also constructed the root structure of the tree, above the ground level. The exposure of old roots, that have gradually appeared above the soil over time, gives the tree a gnarled and ancient feel. Well done to your friend.

4 Likes

I feel like the leaves are a bit too blocky on the tree.

3 Likes

I think it looks pretty good. I think maybe removing a few of the above ground roots, most trees don’t have that many. Something else you could try is spreading the roots out a bit more, they seem a bit short and close together. But overall, well done. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think a longer branch with a bird tree would be nice in my opinion.

2 Likes

I think it looks great, although I can see a little room for improvement:

• Trees don’t usually grow straight up, they branch wider or sometimes tilt.
  • Trees don’t usually have that many visible roots, try removing a few
  • The trunk looks a bit jagged, as though it had been cut and then turned. Try using a few wedges or maybe GapFill to make it not look as sharp.
  • Try adding more branches to the tree to make it have more depth.
  • Trees don’t usually bend so sharply. Instead of having such a sharp “<” shape, maybe have it more of a curve.

Other than that, it’s not bad.

5 Likes

Fix that wood grain, or else you-know-who will be after him.

25 Likes

Thank you for the reply. Me and my friend had a question regarding your response, and that question is what you mean by “wood grain.” We aren’t the best builders as you can see. If you have an example, then that would be great.

1 Like

I appreciate everyone’s reply. My friend has seen all of them and tried improving, here are some new photos of the new model (Shading is a little bad because I used Lightshot to take the pictures):

I also made a tree from scratch to see what I could pick up from all of your replies. Here are some photos of my tree:

Again, I thank everyone for their replys. Please feel free to criticize these ones too. It will help us a lot.

8 Likes

I disagree, I actually really like the blocky style of his tree

2 Likes

7 Likes

Now I understand, thank you for clarifying it.

3 Likes

It needs a lot more volume towards the top. Think of a tree like a mushroom in terms of general shape, and then think of the tree as arms reaching for their own chunk of sunlight in order to fill it out.

You don’t see branches towards the trunk of the tree because they can’t get any light. It helps to follow the rules of nature to achieve the most pleasing and realistic effect.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Are you talking about the old model or the new one? (Constructive Criticism On My Friend's Tree)

1 Like

I would maybe recommend not making the tree so chunky. Maybe put lighting on it. Other then that, it is pretty good for a rookie. In the future, I recommend you also make your trees on Blender. It creates a much better effect.

2 Likes

Why thank you, but I don’t how to use blender that well!

2 Likes

The old one. The new one is definitely a big improvement, but more volume in the leaves would really take the cake.

2 Likes

The improvement is evident when you compare the second outcome to the first.

I would suggest your friend to make the tree more “natural-like”, perhaps a little tilted branch here and there. The blocky style looks very retro and appealing. :wink:

4 Likes

I think this is really nice! The only thing I don’t like about it is how shiny it is. Try making it less shiny, as trees aren’t very shiny. Other than that, it’s really good!

3 Likes

To be fair, Roblox is mostly made of plastic by default :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes