Converting real world measurements to studs

I’m just wondering how people who build as their speciality as to how they convert real world measurements to studs when basing your builds off images.

Personally, using the basis of a torso being 1 stud in thickness and going off the really old site in the link below, I assume that 1 stud is equivalent to 10 inches. Then I proceed to use good old google conversion systems, where 1 metre is said to be 39.3701 inches, which I round to 40 inches, making 1 metre to be equal to 4 studs. For speeds, I use the basis of 1 metre per second (m/s) and then convert that into a different measurement, for example knots (which would be 2 studs per second approximately) Does anyone have a more accurate way of doing this or do you just size in approximation? I tried applying this method to building a plane, but if I wanted the player to have an adequate amount of space between the seats then I would exceed the length of the planes model by 2.1-2.4 times.

image of site (light theme)

Not entirely sure if this was the right topic but…

Tl;dr Using 10’’ = 1 stud, 1m = 4 studs. Anyone have a more accurate way?

Edit: Roblox default gravity (196.2) vs Earth’s gravity (9.80665) - here for anyone using real world conversion. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It isn’t. This section is for support or advice regarding building, hence the name.

Edit: Misread some of the post, sorry! Yes, this is the correct section to ask such a query, although future posts have outlined the answer.

What would be a better category to put it into? It technically is asking for advice towards better conversion method towards, though.

Development Resources. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You dont need to convert real world measurements to studs. Its all about the relativity of the different sizes in your build.

I like love to be as accurate as possible when I replicate things that are based off real worlds buildings or models - not generic objects though - hence the unit conversion, I’d like to see how many other people do something along the same lines and see if there are any better ways, as this way is prone to many headaches when practically used.

It’s not a tutorial nor a resource? I don’t believe this fits into that section.

I provide my method as it contains lots of flaws within it due to rounding and approximations which add up later on - it’s there in case people have a more efficient method.

This thread provides the information on stud to real life increments:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/stud-to-inch-feet/9551/3?u=oneandonlyralph

But may I add that you should be scaling your builds to a roblox character rather than exact real life measurements. Your builds will look strange if using exact real life measurements most likely and simply not look correct.

Honestly I just build in proportion to a roblox character without thinking about real life measurements. Proportion is the key word that you should follow for any build or creation.

1 Like

Ah! I misread your post and saw it as “giving advice” rather than “asking for advice.” My apologies.

1 Like

There was a blog post that stated:

In ROBLOX, one real-world meter is 20 studs.

See directly under the “Potato Cannons: ROBLOX Vs. Real World” heading.
https://blog.roblox.com/2012/06/testing-the-accuracy-of-roblox-physics-with-potato-cannons/

So, in real-life, a standard R6 character is only 25cm tall.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of discussion on it here:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/so-i-finally-found-out-how-tall-a-robloxian-is-in-real-life/23947

There is no direct conversion as it depends which property you use to convert between.
To summarise that post:

• Exporting to a mesh and measuring: 1 stud = 1 meter
  • Using conversion of Roblox’s gravity property to real world: 1 stud = 5 centimeters
  • Using VR measurements: 1 stud = 33.4 centimeters
  • Trusting zeuxcg: 1 stud = 30 centimeters
1 Like

Aye - I also compare things back to the actual sizing in game as I go along during creation, possibly alongside free models that people have made of a similar (or the same) model. Great link, just tested it and it does, indeed, divide to roughly 20. If you assume that 20m = 1 stud, then the players avatar would be 100m tall, if you go by what the other guy said then 1m = 20 studs, that means that player’s avatar is 25 cm tall, both of which aren’t the most realistic values (highlighting your point on proportionality)

I think I’ll keep to my current conversion method over that one. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, New Members don’t have access to that topic :disappointed:. Thanks for the summary though.

Please mark a solution once your question is answered so that the thread may be closed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

While this thread is solved. I’m going to state that a Roblox staff member stated on a Support thread in the past that the official conversion rate was 1 stud for every 28cm.
This is backed up if you go into game settings and do the math with the figures provided in the ‘World’ settings.

Divide 4.48 by the default walkspeed of 16 studs per second, the quotient is 0.28.
Alternatively you could also as well just type in ‘1’ for the walkspeed, which the figure will instead show 0.28 meters/second.

2 Likes