Create a help-and-feedback Category for Studio Help / Technical Support

A lot of users ask questions about how something works in studio or about some general questions they have about Roblox Studio. There currently isn’t a viable location to put these issues. Consequently, many of these issues are piled up in #development-discussion. Although #help-and-feedback:education-support can be an option, it’s more of a game ethics support rather than studio help.

If this were to be implemented, it would help organize occasional problems within studio and make creating topics about these issues simpler for affected individuals.

9 Likes

I don’t really see a use-case for a category like this, if you are having an issue with adding in parts then use #help-and-feedback:building-support, if it’s a UI issue then #help-and-feedback:art-design-support might do the trick and if it’s a scripting issue then throw it in #help-and-feedback:scripting-support, if you are having an issue publishing, etc. then read a documentation article / tutorial and if that doesn’t work you have probably ran into a bug so contact @Bug-Support

If a new category was added for general Studio issues, people will use it as a catch-all for anything Studio (look at how #development-discussion is currently just a dump for any topic someone isn’t quite sure where it should go). Plus the use-cases for such category seem to be very few, either it’s for incredibly simple things that an online tutorial could fix, or is a bug that shouldn’t be posted outside of #bug-reports anyway.

If you do have a valid use-case, please feel free to let me know though.

People don’t understand what #help-and-feedback:education-support is actually for, it’s for designing educational games, not educating other developers on how to do something!

4 Likes

Sadly it isn’t…

This is a support category for help on topics related to helping developers better implement educational topics on the Roblox platform.

Not like it matters though, that place has the same quality of apparent moderation that #development-discussion does.

That aside, I wholeheartedly agree with this. There’s such a huge demand for this type of category, heck even I’d use it from time to time. To my knowledge there’s zero reason this shouldn’t exist.

To get this out the way, there are very specific posts that would lie under this category with the others going to #help-and-feedback:building-support , #help-and-feedback:art-design-support , #help-and-feedback:game-design-support and #help-and-feedback:scripting-support . In my opinion, the cons in this overweight the pros in adding a new category. To provide a few examples:

The main problem is: Studio Support issues are static and not dynamic. What I mean is that everyone gets delivered the same software with the exact same code. Any bugs or problems will have been reported and sorted already, and you can find the solution via a Google search or the Roblox wiki. For example, the problem of “How do I turn up my Studio graphics level” should be the same for everyone and is not worthy of spamming 1000 topics under the “new” category with the same title rather than searching it online.

Besides, people don’t read the forum rules anyways. Living proof is #development-discussion which is a dump hole for memes, low quality and off-topic posts.

Great inquiry! I see what you’re getting at.

There are quite a few questions that can be asked. We’re not talking about plugins, ui, or any similar help (notice these subcategories are all development issues). Rather, this category is used for more technical aspects, such as:

• understanding the microprofiler (arguably more technical than scripting support)
  • how do you optimize the studio experience?
  • how do you run studio on Linux?
  • how do you connect VSC to studio?
  • what does x symbol mean? (it’s hard to search what something is if you don’t know what it is)
  • what’s the undo/redo cap?

Although questions can be quite linear, there will always be more questions as more content is added.

cc: @Kostiskat

1 Like

I can see that there are some cases in where your question doesn’t fall into a pre-existing category, but I still don’t think a studio-questions category is a good idea since as I said, it’s too broad and would encourage everyone to post there ratger than a more suitable category, such as #help-and-feedback:building-support

This would require a lengthy answer and would probably be a good idea for someone to make a #resources:community-resources topic on it, so more people get to see it.

This is up to personal preference and would be likely better in #development-discussion

This would require using third-party software and would be probably better with dealing directly with the tool creator (or a tutorial, if you are unaware of the tool) as you are likely to get a bunch of ‘this isn’t possible’ if you do it on the DevForum.

Again, this isn’t really Studio related, you’ll probably be better off following a tutorial for something like this since you’ll probably just receive some incredibly basic responses to such topics, and probably a few ‘don’t use it’ in there as-well from a few Rojo haters.

You can usually hover over the icon to get’s it’s name?

To be honest, this is probably something that should be documented, if not already.

I agree with this, there are cases where someone might want to change the studio icons and not know where to ask. Like above people mentioned, how to run roblox studio on linux, how to get rid of the roblox app, etc.

#development-discussion is a mess right now and I would like to see it improve by adding another subcategory to #help-and-feedback for studio help questions.

Another frequently asked question in #development-discussion is people ask what do they do if “someone steals their assets”, “my game got DMCA takedowned, what do I do?” or “my asset was moderated, what do I do?”

1 Like

None of these fit the category that a studio-help category would bring

The OP has been talking about a category for general studio-support topics, many already fit into categories such as #help-and-feedback:building-support , #help-and-feedback:art-design-support and #help-and-feedback:scripting-support as I was pointing out.

In most cases, the answer to your simple issue is to just search it up, somebody has likely already answered your question, and if you are using the DevForum, you should be already doing this as duplicate questions are frowned upon.

Others may have a use in it, but I personally can’t see many broad topics which would fit into a category such as this, from what I’ve seen, most examples are related to using third-party content or already fit into a different category. In my opinion, it would just become a dump for anything related to Studio, even topics that fit other categories much more closely.

This should be resolved by:

Many thanks to all for the replies here and for the feedback!

3 Likes