Create BOOKMARKS in Script Editor

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to quickly navigate between multiple script locations.
That’s one of the reasons why I abandoned the Studio script editor and now use Sublime Text (where I can freely set bookmarks and navigate between them simply by pressing F2).
But even so, I often have to resort to the script editor and I always see this limitation.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because this will make script maintenance much easier.

11 Likes

While I like the idea and wouldn’t mind seeing it happen for the very rare occasion it is needed, code really shouldn’t be so long or similar that you need to start bookmarking lines.

I dare say that if you’re writing so much code that looks so similar that you need bookmarks in a script, there’s something very wrong.

1 Like

My game have currently almost 20,000 lines distributed among 10 scripts. The bookmarks are used constantly in these cases.
But thanks for sharing your experience.

You need to spend more time in a real codebase. When you’re implementing a feature, you often need to jump between many different scripts. E.g. to add save slots to a custom character thing, you need to move between the code that spawns the character, event listeners, numerous datastore layers, UI code and related components, etc. This gets out of hand very quickly, and you cannot survive with 10 tabs open in Studio, because the relevant locations are in multiple places per script.

6 Likes