Create dates to control translations

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to manage the translations, as the experience evolves organically, there are obsolete versions of translations, similar to new versions.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because by obtaining the date where the original text was captured, the date the translation was created, and the date of previous versions, it will be possible to have greater control over the versioning of translations.

5 Likes

Hi there! We’re actually looking into adding sorts and filters. Can you share a little bit more on what your workflow would look like with translation version management?

And also how you would use the ‘date where original text was captured’ vs ‘date the translation was created’ differently? Thank you!

My experience has Portuguese as the source language, so there is no automatic translation in this case.
So I have to review item by item and enter my translation manually.
So let’s see the workflow:

1. I run the game on Roblox Player so that all texts with AutoLocalize ON are captured
  2. The texts appear to be translated on my translations page:
  3. Here, it would already be important to know the DATE on which the text was CAPTURED, because if the original text of this TextLabel is changed sometime later, it will be captured again, and the previous original text and its translation will be OBSOLETE. This can happen numerous times for the same TextLabel, generating a lot of confusion about what the current translation of the text is.
  4. There are also translations that I manually include (those that are not captured when AutoLocalize is OFF). In this case, it would also be important to have a creation date. Same case as the previous one, with the difference that the original text was typed and not captured.
  5. Apparently there is already a Translation History, but I still don’t quite understand how this works:

Got it, how you use the date makes a lot of sense. We can look into adding date information on the entry.

Regarding your question on Translation History – the timestamp is when you added the translation. Let me know if there’s anything else you can clarify.

1 Like

Thanks. So, in short, just as there is already a timestamp that records when a translation was added, it would be important to also have a timestamp that records when a text to translate was added (manually or captured automatically).

1 Like