Create Experiences for People 17 and Older on Roblox

There is I know because I live in Turkey even Wikipedia was blocked for multiple years at some point

3 Likes

will accounts +17 show it next to the name? as currently happens with <13 and 13+

2 Likes

Then I assume it’s yet again another shitty decision from higher up’s at roblox.

4 Likes

The Wikipedia ban was lifted less than a month later, and this happened in 2017. If there were such strict laws, gta 5 would be banned.

5 Likes

According to freedomhouse.org turkey only has a 35 score out of hundred in internet speech freedom

5 Likes

You can’t expect older players until you fix serious moderation issues, especially those surrounding VC:

Please stop ignoring this issue, I’ve sent this countless times to many employees and yet we don’t get any acknowledgement.

13 Likes

What does this have to do with games?

4 Likes

I think 17+ verification will include reduced chat filtering

3 Likes

I want to know why it’ll be unavailable in Turkey. I haven’t heard of any strict laws in Turkey related to this change. Besides, you’ve clearly stated that users must verify their age using a government ID. I can’t see what’s the issue here.

7 Likes

I’m a bit confused on the wording of this, so on my game I have a separate currency that cannot be purchased with robux. This currency is used on free tables to play Blackjack and Roulette. Is this no longer permitted?

5 Likes

Yes? Swearing is not forbidden in Turkey lol.

3 Likes

My friend had their verification rejected so they needed their parents to verify. So now even tho they’re not 17+ they can access those bcuz the verification system was bugged? Bruh… we should just be able to update our birth year after verifing our age lol…

4 Likes

Good questions; I’m also curious as to what the answers are.

1 Like

I will now proceed to make a 17+ game and get 0 exposure because this is a very restrictive age/convenience gate (id + selfie verification)

3 Likes

A score of 35 indicates a substantial level of restriction or limitation on internet freedom in Turkey. It is unlikely for Roblox to ban a specific country from joining these games. There are likely specific laws or regulations in Turkey that make it more challenging for 17+ games to be accessible in the country. While I might not be aware of all the internet laws in Turkey, I doubt it Isn’t related to these limitations.

This is a great addition. Looking forward to seeing the 17+ titles people churn out utilizing more mature themes. Just a reminder to some of the people replying that no one is forcing you to develop titles for this age bracket.

1 Like

While adding 17+ itself is good, I think not many people will do it.

Personally I really hate fact that Roblox requires me to verify my age with this IDs, selfies, and etc. I don’t trust ANYTHING related to such things.

In addition, what stop me from going to some site and download games for 17+? I won’t ever need to verify my age this way, so why I need do it in Roblox?

I’ll better will stick with 13+, than with this.

4 Likes

yeah, with some games being 17+, it will limit their audience and community and most likely will not get popular

3 Likes

If the age verification proved you’re not below 17, then i assume not

2 Likes

It’s a bit funny seeing people getting concerned about this Update.

“If game characters love each other for a game lore, then it shouldn’t be banned”.
Are you creating an RPG? Or a game like Deepwoken with Rogue Elements? The extent your game should be going is saying they’re in a relationship with someone, beyond that, you’re creating weird fanfic. Follow the guidelines and you’ll be fine.

"Uhm what is allowed and not allowed on a romance in 17+ games? :nerd_face: " What is this for? Research? Are you trying to find a way have NPCs get it on or something? If anything the extent would PROBABLY lead you to assume that when they say “romance” it’s extent is referring to couples together or a family situation. Nothing more. Stop looking for ways to make things really PG. Follow the guidelines and you’ll be fine.

I’ll be honest, out of everyone here, there is probably only 1% of people on the platform that will write characters that aren’t going to have stupid relationships, or turn into some weird unfiltered sexual game. People really are getting upset at the fact that they have to send their face to ROBLOX after creating games? What are you afraid of? Legitimately what game could you be creating that causes you to be concerned about showing your face to a company.

People in these comments who keep getting very concerned about the ID rule are most likely children themselves, that want to find loopholes to being able to play 17+ games unfiltered. I’ve been reading some comments saying that ROBLOX is being “extra” because of the rule, when it literally is a preventative measure to make sure kids DON’T see: GORE, HEAVY REALISTIC BLOOD, MODERATE CRUDE HUMOR, or ALCOHOL. Just because you saw it as a kid, doesn’t mean other children should. Some comments are saying that kids can find ways to get around the safeguard, which is bound to happen, but there is such a large safety net surrounding EVERY OTHER PERSON that it barely even matters.
Like @Mauio64 said,

People also seem to be concerned about money off a 17+ game, Honestly, with all the safeguards in place, if you’re looking to make money on a KIDS platform, perhaps you should make kid friendly games? Like, I feel like I’m being captain obvious when I point out that 38% of active users are 17+, which means 62% must not be 17 or older? Regardless, 38% on a platform with Millions of people and you’re concerned if you’ll make a payout seems wild to me. :person_shrugging:

Thank you everyone defending the ID rule by the way! It’s a good implementation on ROBLOX’s end. The only criticisms I have with it is that the chat isn’t getting unfiltered yet, but that honestly seems like it’s bound to be updated anyways.

12 Likes