CreatePlaceAsync not copying the Max Player property

I use CreatePlaceAsync to create new server in my universe when ever I update my game. How it does this is by creating a new place using a Template Place’s which I currently have 3, only because they need to have different Max Player numbers. They have the Max Players count set to 6, 10, and 30 respectively. However, currently any place I make using CreatePlaceAsync sets the max player count to 0 on the game’s page, 1 under the configure page of the game, and the servers can hold up to 10 players max.

Repro Steps: Just use CreatePlaceAsync on a place that has Max Players not set to 10, and notice that the server created has a Max Player count listed as 0, but is really 10.

Repro Place:

Simple join the Server and it will Create a Copy of the Server and post the Id of the server on the sign. Then you can go to the new place’s page and find that the properties have not be copied over.

Images Template Place I use with CreatePlaceAsync: ![](upload://9mgfdZkFY0ZdvOhioaCUsX5qljs.png)

Game Page of place Created:

Configure Page of place Created:

Server List of place Created:

The update that affected this behavior happened some where between 3/19/2016 7:16:26 PM and 3/19/2016 7:25:26 PM, I think that is in PST time zone, as I have two servers created with CreatePlaceAsync where one has the correct copied settings while the other one does not.

Also just noticed it isn’t copying the Chat settings either and is just setting them to Classic.

Edit: Also the genre isn’t being copied either, its not reading, really anything from the Web side of the Place being copied.

This is known and is a response to a reported exploit where someone could set the template place to be uncopylocked, teleport the player to the new place, then have a script that could call LoadAsset and SavePlaceAsync. Assets would be loaded as if the place was owned by the player (it is). The resulting place could then be copied back to owner of the universe*.

I’m not sure what the resolution will be. I suspect that copylocked will be set to true and CreatePlaceApi to false for the copies.

(or master of the universe?)

1 Like

Any update on when this will be resolved? I really can’t be bothered with manually setting each places’ max player count and preferred player count to 30 players for 25 places, each time I make an update. Not to mention the 30+ private and/or matchmaking servers that are being created everyday.

Any chance this is going to be fixed soon?

Mainly bumped this thread, since I moved this to Web Bugs, as this probably has to do more with the web side of things.

You’re right in that this is a web API-side problem. I was looking into related things recently and there are a bunch of things related to CreatePlaceAsync/other AssetService stuff that was somewhat broken.

We’re currently looking into it, though no guarantee on fix timeframe. Are you able to work around this problem using other server creation methods?

1 Like

Out of curiosity, do you know if the newer ReservedServers API would be a better choice? http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/TeleportService/ReserveServer

Reserved Servers would work for the Match making and probably the Private Servers I rent out, but it probably won’t work for the servers that I use for my groups league play. If I used Reserved servers for those, I would lose the ability of giving the Server a Name which people can see from the website.
Example:

which I know I personally use to find what server my Friends are at, so I’m sure others use it too. Although, I do already have a system in game to find the servers of anyone currently in the universe by typing in their name, so I mean I could use Reserved Servers, but it will make things more confusing for the people who play my game.

Also I just noticed that Reserved Servers don’t show up on the game’s page, so if there is a problem with one of the League Servers, I have no way to shutdown the server, without shutting them all down.

It would be great if the CreatePlaceAsync method would just copy the template place’s properties excluding the copylocked options, so that the exploit doesn’t come back. It sounds like a simple fix really :confused:

Hi, any word on whether this might be resolved? I use it to create a separate version of my game for newer players, but the player count is capped to 10.

(sorry for resurrecting a dead thread)

I don’t think they plan to do anything about this until some place stealing exploits that used to do this are patched.

SavePlace is disabled on mine, though. It seems a bit unnecessary, and as far as I know this exploit was patched?

Can you not use Reserved Servers for your purpose? Although I lost the ability to name servers, reserved servers are much more easy to manage, as they automatically update when ever you make updates to the place, and don’t cause problems with having your game show up as Experimental mode.

Honestly I would not recommend CreatePlaceAsync for any new games, as reserved servers are basically the better version of them.

My issue is that reserving a server only works when you want to send a specific group of players in an instance to a separate server of their own.

Setting up a separate version of the game is hard to accomplish without keeping track of the reserved servers via DataStores/HTTP.

I’m probably just going to manually update a second version of the game.

Also, just to confirm, EM is respected just fine in the created places. Some of the earlier created places don’t seem to respect it, though? Not sure what that’s about.

How many new versions of the game do you need? Couldn’t you just manually upload another place to the universe to serve as this place for new players?

Also the issue with the EM tag is when the created place is first created, it is automatically assume the place is not FE until it is joined by a player, so if a player makes a CreatePlaceAsync server and then loses connection during the teleport, that created place will always be marked as EM, thereby making your entire game shown as EM, blocking off access to the younger audience.

Yeah, I’ve decided to just do it manually. I wanted an automatic solution but with the state of CreatePlace that isn’t really feasible, I suppose.

And oh, that’s not good! Is there any way to fix this or do I have to manually go through the created places?

How many CreatePlaceAsync servers do you have that are marked EM? If it’s not that many you could just use the dev console to teleport yourself to these servers to update the EM tag. If it’s a lot, like not feasible to do the above steps, you might be able to get an admin to permantly remove all CreatePlaceAsync places from your game, which in my case @green_mushroom was able to help me out with that.

I have about 10, so it’s feasible. Thanks for the warning!

EDIT: I just realised something, and I feel stupid.

Visits tanked after I started using CreatePlace. If this is because of EM games being filtered out, I’m going to kick myself. EDIT: (it is. help.)