Creating a UGC Hat! - Blender 2.8 Tutorial

Hey Everyone!

Due to the outcome of my poll on twitter,
I’ll be making a UGC hat tutorial in Blender! You can follow with making your own UGC hat,
but I’ll be creating a Coronavirus mask, to promote everyone staying safe! :mask:
:warning: Warning: I’ll be using Blender 2.82, so there may be differences to your software :warning:

Blender is a free 3d software, which you can download from blender.org.

Exporting Our Character
To make our UGC hat fit on a Roblox character, we’ll start by exporting a character from Roblox Studio into Blender, so that we can model around its head.

I’m using AlreadyPro’s Load Character plugin to load a character by its username.
By right clicking the character in the explorer, and clicking “export selection”, you can specify where you want the .obj of your character to be saved.

Importing Our Character
In Blender, go to File > Import > Wavefront (.obj) and select the .obj which you exported.

After that, we’ll delete the all the body parts except the head, as we’re making a hat and only need to head to model on.

We do this by selecting the body parts we want to delete, and pressing “X”. In the video I also press
“Alt + G” while selecting the head to centre it.

Modelling the Coronavirus Mask
We’ll start by adding a cube for the base of our mask, moving it and scaling it to fit roughly around the mouth of our character.

To make the cube into a shape closer to a mask, we’ll use a Subdivision Surface modifier to smooth it.
Next, we’ll scale it on the Y-axis to make it flatter and then scale it up slightly to cover the mouth.
I also made its shading smooth.

After that, we’ll add a loop cut in the middle and select the edges to pull them back. This will make the mask bend around the face.

We’ll then scale the edges down on the Z-axis, and scale up the central loop cut on the Z-axis, to make our mask into a more oval-like shape.

We’ll then create a horizontal loop cut and drag it down, then pull out the central vertex, to make the mask less flat and more rounded.

To make the band around the head which holds the mask, I selected an edge ring of the character’s head, duplicated it and separated it as a different object.

We’ll then add a skin modifier, to make the edge ring thicker to resemble a band. With the skin modifier, if we press “Ctrl + A” we can control the thickness by moving our mouse.

Finally to finish off our model, we’ll isolate the band by pressing “/” and select the front 2 vertices and using proportional editing drag them down, to make the band seem like it’s drooping.

This is our final model, but now it’s time to texture it.

Texturing the Coronavirus Mask
Now it’s time to texture our mask!
First, we’ll prepare our model by applying the modifiers, removing the materials and joining the separate objects with “Ctrl + J”. We also no longer need the head, so we can delete that by selecting it and pressing “X”.

The triangle (tris) count of our model is currently slightly over the UGC limit of 4k. Not to worry, we can reduce our triangle count easily with a simple modifier called “Decimate”. This modifier modifies our mask to reduce vertices and therefore triangles. You can see in the video how I drag down the slider to reduce the triangle count shown in the bottom of the screen. This won’t have any visible effect on your model unless you are drastically reducing its amount of vertices. We also apply this modifier before our texture painting.

We’ll then split our screen, with one half on the UV Editor. Then in edit mode, by pressing “U” and then “Smart UV Project”, we can quickly UV unwrap our model. In the UV window, we then go to
Image > New and we name and save an image. This image is what we’ll paint our texture on for our model. Also, make sure to do Image > Save As so you don’t lose the image you paint on.

Next, we’ll create a new material for our mask. Add an “Image Texture”, select the texture you created and plug it into the Base Colour. This will allow us to paint on our model.

Then, we can switch to the “Texture Paint” workspace to start our painting. We’ll first go into edit mode, press “L” while hovering over the mask to only select it, then go out of edit mode and press “M”.
This makes only our selection affected, therefore we can use the fill tool to only fill the mask for our light grey colour.

I then repeated that process for the bands, and filled them with a dark grey.

You can texture your UGC however you like, I used the “Line” stroke method and the draw brush to draw lines to represent wrinkles in the mask.

At this point we should save our image/texture for our model, so we don’t lose our progress.

Now all we have to do is export our model as a 3d object and then we can import it into Roblox Studio.

Importing Our Finished UGC Into Roblox Studio
Nearly there!
First, make a “MeshPart” in the workspace and on the property called “MeshId”, click on the folder and select the .obj file of your model. This will bring your model into Roblox Studio.

Don’t worry about this pop-up, we’ll just click “No” because we’ll be positioning it manually later.

Once your model is loaded in, it should have its texture too. If it doesn’t, simply click on the “TextureID” property and select your texture.

Your UGC is now imported!

Thanks For Reading!

That’s it for this tutorial! I hope this helped you and make sure to comment if you have any queries.

Please consider following me on my twitter or showing some appreciation, as I worked many strenuous hours on this tutorial :grinning:

Stay safe! :mask:

294 Likes

An absolutely amazing tutorial, I highly suggest checking out his twitter too, some great content on there!

29 Likes

This is a super great breakdown for anyone that’s trying to get into modeling. When I first discovered loop cuts were a thing, my face went :shock:. There’s just a lot of great little tidbits in here that are applicable to larger projects, and I even learned a thing or two about texturing.

Thanks for the tutorial!

11 Likes

This is a great tutorial, especially for people who are beginning to 3D model. It introduces basic texturing, explore new Blender options, and it is a very straightforward tutorial.

5 Likes

Great work really good tutorial really easy to understand :+1:

6 Likes

Fantastic tutorial! It’s really amazing

5 Likes

This tutorial is fantastic for those wanting to get into modelling. Very good

4 Likes

i can’t believe that finally someone do tutorial about creating a UGC hat i appreciate your hard work but Unfortunately they can’t sell it or wear it at roblox as their own items but i’m thankful for you :smiley:

3 Likes

now this is the definition of an epic tutorial

3 Likes

Ohhhh,sorry i didn’t know that and i hope they give the ability to players to send their items as a request even.
also,thank you for replying and i support your hard work!

3 Likes

Hold on, let me bookmark this real quick.

7 Likes

LOL, good to see that the tutorial is coming in handy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Man, I have to bookmark this as well. :smile:

Love this tutorial.

5 Likes

Nice tutorial! Although I recommend adding keyboard shortcuts for the loop cuts (Crtl + R) and the subdivision (Ctrl + 3).

5 Likes

That’s a good idea, but I tried to refrain from showing the shortcuts, as they vary through Blender versions and other programs! Thanks for the feedback though :+1:

3 Likes

Decent tutorial, I’d definitely recommend seaming your geometry and unwrapping it manually (press “U” in edit mode for this menu) to get the best texture results. Additionally, compressing the texture to 256 pixels is what I usually do in Photoshop.

I’d also recommend adding something to explain adding reference images in the newest version of Blender (shift+a then adding reference images).

A separate explanation of rendering in it’s own tutorial for the newest version of blender would be good to help users who are new to blender.

I’ve got some popular tutorials on my YouTube channel which are fairly outdated but you can still get an understanding of some basics Blender functionality:

12 Likes

Thanks for the support and reply man! Unwrapping manually isn’t needed in this case, as texture painting paints on the UVs, therefore seams won’t be visible :slight_smile:
But yes, manually UV unwrapping is a good practice when applying textures!
Compressing the textures is also a good idea but I wanted to keep this tutorial simple, Roblox Studio automatically compresses the textures anyway to 420x420.

Overall thanks for the feedback! I’ll take all this advice into consideration and perhaps I could merge it into another tutorial!

4 Likes

Pretty good tutorial, it can probably help some people get into blender.

Kinda off topic, but shouldn’t it just be called just a mask, not a Coronavirus or a Covid-19 mask?

8 Likes

Yeah it could be, but mask is pretty vague and can refer to many things like a ski mask for example :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

This tutorial is really unique in the fact that you are indulging in every single aspect of the assets creation, whether it be modifiers, UV mapping, or texturing.

As a user of Autodesk 3DS Max, I can still follow along with this tutorial and get the gist of most everything, because everything you touched on is more or less included in every 3D modeling program! Very nice work.

2 Likes