Creating an unkown sword slash effect

Good observation, I will try this and tell you if I run into anything.

It’s a flattened sphere mesh that rotates in place with a texture on it, a lot of people will call them crescents.

1 Like

@SingleSided Has this issue been resolved yet? Cause I believe I have found an answer

Pretty sure it is a mesh hardcoded for each slash…haven’t made it yet though.

1 Like

This is an interesting effect and I have asked someone who created something like this before, they responded that they used an invisible part with a “slash” decal (+ scripting). The details weren’t elaborated any further.

This might be too vague but if it helps, then good luck finding the solution.

No idea if it’s the sphere mesh part mentioned, I only heard it was a part.

I think you can use beams, but you can look at the source code for this module it might help you, you can even fork it if you want I believe

If that doesnt work you can possibly contact the creator as they have made more advanced sword slash effects like this before

Yep, I think this is it, It is a Textured Cresent Mesh that spins, and expands, I actually tried recreating this, With a bit of tweening, It works!

1 Like

Can you show what yours looks like and maybe show the code?

--define tweening stuff (like rotation, and adding size form original size)

script.Parent.Activated:Connect(function()
--clone effect from replicated storage
--play tween here
end)

--another script is inside the decal, that changed decal transparency

I cant show the full script sorry, but this is basically how my script works

2 Likes

I think I know-how; my thought is they use an expanded mesh and then puts a texture on it and then use the sprite sheet technique on the texture to make it vanish in the end by using rotation and sizing effects on the “expanded mesh,” which is simple by using tweening or lerping.

1 Like

walmart version

3 Likes

I tried making a spritesheet, and it doesnt work for some reason, I don’t think using a spritesheet works, it just cuts the decal off the squished sphere, is there a way to fix that?

2 Likes

Also for the continuation of this, I replaced the decal with a texture, so I would be able to use a spritesheet, but the script is still inside the texture.

1 Like

heres how it looks like : https://gyazo.com/d5472b8dacf0eed712d5925a677134a2
for the disappearing effect i dont add it because u didnt place it very right
new link (transparent background) : https://gyazo.com/3e41a5d63053438c708eac0bd93d36cb

1 Like

oh i meant if i placed it on a sqished sphere part, the texture would act weird

1 Like

I have been able to get a working version of the slash effect, but I’m wondering if anyone knows how to properly make the slash sprite sheet? Mine looks pretty ugly.

I heard you can use the unity particle system and then capture an image each frame to get one that looks realistic but I think there should be a better way.

1 Like

So are you saying instead of spritesheets, the only way to do this effect is to change the decal id per frame (or delay)?

1 Like

oh yeah, how i made mine was drawing a bunch of slash effect decals, and using this:

then i tried putting it as a texture to make it properly work, which went wrong for me

2 Likes

How did you draw them, you are a crazy artist lol

A little late reply but thank you, just got back into this now.

1 Like

I followed a tutorial in devforum, but it took me almost 2 days to make, xd. It was pain, but I did find some free mesh that was better than my drawing, so I went with that. Which another problem that occurred to me was now I can’t animate the actual texture of the mesh

1 Like