Creating my unique weapon-style RPG game within 2.5 years progress. This is what I got

INTRODUCTION
Hello! I’m Gabe163, an independent creator and developer. I’ve been around in Roblox since 2009, but I began learning how to script back to 2017. This game project I’ve been working on isn’t my first Roblox game project, but it would become my first Roblox creation that I cannot abandon, unlike my previous creations.

This ultimate game took me 2.5 years, dating back to 2018, where it’s used to be a testing site without its main game title yet, it’s just me playing around the scripting basics for fun. Until 2020, it delivered the greatest negative & positive impact ever of my game development progress.

But 2.5 years later, I’m excited, yet nervously… to present my ultimate creation I ever invented: Valorous Expedition.

This is a combination of Borderlands, survival games, and existing Roblox simulator games.
However, unlike other Roblox simulators, this is no ordinary simulator game. Funny enough, the game title itself is not even called “simulator.”

It’s an open world game where you basically fight variety of enemies. As you progress, enemies will get harder as they can have their own technique to make combating much harder. So you must rely on loot drops from enemies you defeated, recruit units, and build your strength in your own authority.

This can be played in first-person view or third-person view, you can switch view mode using mouse wheel. It’s focuses on being more F2P-friendly where it’s easier to progress & unlocking cool stuff a little easier. Thus, more diversity of gameplay and harder challenges. Everything is going to be PvE-based, meaning all players must work in one team to fight horde of hostile enemies together while surviving.

Obviously, the two above statements may sound pretty big. But as of right now…
don’t expect large hype!

This is just a beginning of taking my first step of this exciting journey. And I wanted to be able to build my confidence, motivation, and communication slowly as I progress. Right now, this game is currently in Alpha stage and there little else to do in the game, that’s because I want to gather more testers before develop any further.

This post is split into sections to keep it organized.
This is quite a long post because this is my first time posting on Devforum, but patience is the key. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would appreciate simple short positive comments, even negative/critical ones.
But I would highly encourage everybody, especially for those who are expert in their particular role, to make constructive and well-informative feedback, but understandable for me to read it.
Let’s dive into my ultimate creation, shall we?

MAP

The first map and starter world you’re going to play on when you start playing is called Rocky Greens.

I did the map all by myself, turns out pretty good. Just keep in mind it’s not finished yet because I have one concern:

(I’m not quite an expert in optimization, just you know)

I’m using a combination of terrain (rocky mountains and water) & bricks to create a map. And the map right now has 2000 bricks total. It’s not a lot, but I’m wondering if it can cause lag, especially for low-end devices. If the map needs optimization, there’s a good chance the terrain is what it’s taking up a lot, and I might have to downgrade terrain to low-poly rocky walls.

There’s a lot of missing map to fill in. But I paused building for a while because I’m trying to see if it can run for low-end devices with lowest settings possible. I coded my own game settings (bottom right) which can disable texture, particle, and damage number. Not sure if it can improve the performance but I would appreciate it if you have any comment about this.

UI DESIGN

GUI is still work in progress, this is just for alpha testing reasons. I want to make the gameplay functional first before adding any graphics and decorations. It’s nothing special, but far better than nothing.

WEAPONS AND ANIMATIONS

I began modeling around 2019, but I only made the first two so far in 2019, back where game developing wasn’t too serious for me yet. But until 2020, I picked up and began modeling again with better skills.

Hecate II (Top) | WA2000 (Bottom)

Makarov | 3rd gun model
FirstGunEver (Makarov on RBLXstudio)

Weak Pump Shotgun | 4th gun model. It’s suppose to be ugly and dull looking shotgun because the fact it’s the weakest gun in the game.

Re-worked WA2000 | 5th gun model

M60 | This one takes 10+ hours to do this… >_<

Probably my bestest gun I ever modeled in Roblox studio… O_o

Just around late 2020, I came across with Blender, which I find it intimidating because how complex the interface and controls are. I gave a try, but I didn’t start off with a simple donut tutorial from Blender Guru, I went straight to gun modeling tutorial. It’s really difficult at first, but in the 1st week, I started getting hang of it and begin modeling my first ever Blender model. This is what I got so far with 4-5 months of using Blender.

Colt Python | First Blender model (10/20/20)

The true beast Light fifty, Barrett M82! (12/25/20)

UMP45 | This is my favorite model so far, seriously. (1/15/21)

Re-worked Makarov (2/11/2021)

My customized fictional single-shot bolt action rifle I made. HR-1940 (2/19/21)

Then I take all five Blender gun models to Roblox Studio for coloring and texturing.

Then I take these guns and animate them through blender for the first time. Then I code them everything from scratch. Check this out: [Gun & Animation Demonstration]
[Note: I didn’t make the clothing, it’s just for testing purposes to see if it can fit the viewmodel.]
As for the real game, there are 2 weapons right now that are going to be tested: Makarov and HR-1940.

LOGO

Here’s my official logo art I made! Despite my inexperience art skills, I think I managed to pull it off with several nice touches.

Logo concept art

But a day later, I recolored the logo for the second time, but with more improvements:

HOW TO PLAY

Easily understandable, but some are new so I’ll give you brief explanation for each.

Aiming:

• Q to aim
  • Right-Mouse click to aim (First-person view only)

Fire:

• Left-Mouse click to shoot

Interact:

• E to interact (picking up loots and supplies)

Sprinting:

• Shift to sprint (increase movement speed)

Equipping weapons:

1. Go to inventory (located bottom right)
  2. Select either two guns (Makarov or HR-1940)
  3. Click the EQUIP button, this will enable slot assigning mode.
  4. Click any four white empty boxes or use number keys (1,2,3,4) to assign them.
  5. Close the inventory by clicking inventory again (located bottom right)
  6. The number labeled corresponds to number key 1, 2, 3, and 4.
IDEAS FOR MY GAME THAT AREN’T ADDED YET
  1. Melee weapons:
    I haven’t started on working on melee weapons, but since I gained a lot of experience making my own guns, I should able to make melee weapons.

2. Recruiting units:
    Again, this is not your typical simulator game where pets gives you currency bonuses. Units are like pets, but are way more effective and handy when it comes to combat and survival. You’d be able to recruit units to defend you and fight off tough enemies, which can boost survivability and strength. Here’s my favorite clip I recorded back to 2020, just an example of what the idea of Units is all about. Just view them as if they are your soldiers serving to protect you! :smiley:
    Units Demonstration

There so much more that I wanted to added, but I wanted focus on two upcoming main characteristics without providing too much promises and hype, ok? Just give me some time.

Well, that concludes everything I presented of what my project is going to look like.

It SURELY looks like a big project, yes. But the thing is: It’s not a real game yet.
There are many future significant outcomes to acquire, but I already accomplished one significant outcome, and that is this post I’ve been writing for hours and revealing my utmost creation I ever created across my games I made in the past.

If this post somehow went very popular within few days, just judging how much content I put it in here, then I’m off to the good start. But again, starting slow while attempting to cope anxiety from writing this long post.

I’ll be mostly active checking back your feedbacks and will be joining the game often!

Thank you very much for reading and have a safe and wonderful day out there, Gabe163 out. :wave:

12 Likes

Wow, this is amazing! I really hope that this game becomes successful and popular, you put a lot of work into it!

Although, I would recommend changing the GUI a little bit. Such as images.
And if I’m not hearing things, the zombie noise in the background was just snatched from a Call of Duty game, you should probably change that.

2 Likes

Yeah, the zombie sounds are for testing purposes, it will be changed eventually.

1 Like

Pros:

• Unique

• Nice Map

• Nice Animations

• Cool Weight System

Cons:

• Starter Pack doesn’t save when you rejoin the game

• Gun recoil could be added?

• Some of the ui don’t fit in;

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 9.14.55 AM

1 Like

Although I implemented the saving system for cash, kill count, level, and XP. The loots and supplies you picked up from defeated enemies hasn’t been added to auto-save system yet. I know how to script it but I want to see if they’re working 100% with minimum game-breaking bugs, they’re test demo in short.

Recoil on guns is already added, you should see camera shift upward when you shoot.

Good feedback, though! Still looking for more testers for more feedbacks.

3 Likes

One suggestion I have is to increase the reload animation speeds for the makarov because they’re currently too slow. It feels like you’re reloading in slow motion. You shouldn’t take almost 5 seconds to reload a simple pistol, 3 or 2 seconds would be more realistic and better.

1 Like

In early game experiences, it starts off slow. But there would be mastery upgrades like if you reload the pistol a total 100 times, you’ll unlock a permanent upgrade which increases reloading speed by certain percentage for pistol-type guns.

Eventually, you can reload like a fast tactical boi.

1 Like

This games looks great the gun models look fantastic and I like how you added units sort of reminds me of fire emblem

1 Like