Creating Realistic Hair in Cinema 4D [Using Simulation]

Disclaimer: Before reading further it should be known that this tutorial should not be confused with this one as I am using a completely different program, and will do things a tad bit differently.

Hello! Today I’ll be showing you all how to create realistic hair particles in Cinema 4D using hair particles, Octane Render (this is not needed), and the provided hair tools within C4D. I will be assuming you already assume how to import objs into C4D and already have the hair obj you want in place.

My favorite examples of the hair I’ll show you how to create can be found in these pieces I’ve created:

If you do not know how to import objs into C4D I would recommend this tutorial to learn the basics! In addition to that if you do not want to have to read through this entire tutorial you can watch me create hair in this video here.

Now that we have our hair object imported we can start on the hair!

Section 1 - Creating the Hair Particles

To start off, make sure you have the hair selected. Next add the hair particles within the “Simulate” Tab.
Simulate > Hair Objects > Add Hair

You should end up with something like this:

Obviously the hair looks a little messy and uncontrollable right now, so lets make it more manageable! To do this we are going to lower the length and count of the hair so we can more easily edit the hair and manage it.

In order to lower the count and length we will go into the hair object and select the guides tab, then we will want to set the “Count” to 100 and the “Length” around 20-40.

• The length of your hair should be dependent on the type of hair object you have, 20-40 will work for most hairs. However you should use lower lengths for shorter hairs and longer hairs should have longer lengths.

It is also smart to change how the particles are grown, a good way to do this is by making the particles spawn on the entire polygon area and not vertex’s. In order to do this, select the drop down under the length textbox and select “Polygon,” then have the map be set to “New.” Click update guides to apply the changes.
imageimage

Our new hair particles should look something like this:

Section 2 - Editing the Particles to fit the hair

This part it unfortunately the most tedious. We will have to use the brush tool to “brush” the hair particle guides to fit the hair object. However, luckily most roblox hairs are easy to figure out the “flow” of.

First, equip the hair brush tool by going into the “Simulate” tab and finding it under “Hair Tools.”
Simulate > Hair Tools > Brush

With this tool we will be able to move around the hair guides, you can play around with it if you want.
Unfortunately this part is hard to guide using pictures so I’d recommend taking a peak at the video I linked above to see this process in action. However here are some quick pointers:

• When editing hair particles it is important to make sure it follows as closely to the hair object as possible this way it will look the same
  • If some hair guides are interfering with each other or you can’t select just one you can change the radius of the brush. To do this select the “Options” tab while having the Brush Tool selected and changing the Radius.

When you are done brushing the hair it should look something like this:

In the image above I turned off my texture to make it easier to see the polygons and increased the guide count to 1000 after doing the original 100, just so the actual hair will be more accurate. You could do this aswell.

When you are finished fitting the hair particles to the hair object, turn up the hair amount to 100000 - 20000 to see the hair in action! To do this go into the “Hairs” tab in the Hair Object and change the count to what you feel like!

• If your computer is having a hard time with 100000+ hairs it is smart to keep it at a low amount like 5000 when editing it then at the very end putting it back up.

Section 3 - Finishing Touches

In order to make this actually look like hair we will have to change the thickness of it, texture, and add some finishing touches to make it feel realistic.

The first thing we want to do is make it to where it is the same color as the original hair object. The easiest way to do this is by going into the Hair Material and Color tab making the texture the hair is within.

The next thing to do is change the Thickness of the hair. Since hair aren’t noodles we will make the thickness fairly small. Under the “Thickness” tab change the “Root” to around 0.3 cm.

The next thing I am going to add is called “Frizz.” What this will do is frizz up the hair and give it a nice messy hair look. You do not have to add this if you don’t want to. To enable Frizz check on the checkbox next to it and select it. Next you will want to change the amount to around 20% so it isn’t to crazy.

That’s all for the hair! What’s next is rendering it and lighting the scene. Since that is not part of this tutorial I will do it without explaining.

This is what mine looked like at the end!

Section 4 - Closing

That’s all you need for creating hair in C4D. Obviously I didn’t go into everything but those are the basics with some tiny advanced stuff thrown in. Keep in mind final renders will vary based on how good you are at lighting your own scenes and the scene it is placed in.

If you have any questions feel free to put them below and I’ll try to get to them, or if you just wanna show off what you created that would be nice to.

Remember to experiment with these yourself and try to mix things up a bit! Goodluck!

p.s. you can also use the same techniques to create fur or a nice fabric, just make it alot shorter and denser.

13 Likes

I felt like I was the only one using Cinema 4D in this entire forum. It’s refreshing to see something related to it.
Anyways, the finished result looks absolutely amazing. It looks like fuzzy fabric instead of real hair, though. The texture we could definitely improve on. Though I appreciate that you went through all the time and effort to create something for the few C4D users. Definitely take note from this and their future posts!

2 Likes

I think you are onto something with it looking like a fuzzy fabric. I think possibly adding some length variation and messing around with the specular could help this.

1 Like

The hair looks very messy and scattered currently, almost having a bear/wolf skin rug texture. It’s missing that straightness that makes it look like one stream. I’ll definitely try to find a solution!
image_2021-11-29_205311

1 Like

In the material you can add density to it and straighten to it. If needed you can also add more hairs.

looks cool! I think this is way less messy than other tutorials here on the forum.

1 Like

Is it possible to use this to make actual hair for NPCs?

NPCs as in a roblox game? No.
NPCs as in a non-roblox game? Possibly, I’m unsure.
NPCs as in background chars? Yes.

1 Like