Making realistic GFX hair [Particles]

Hello, everyone!

I didn’t see any tutorials about this theme, so I decided to make tutorial about how to make realistic hair by particle way for your GFXes. I usually use it when I make most realistic graphics in blender. Whatever let’s start.

1. Add Multiresolution modifier to hair model.

Be in mind that it doesn’t work with every hair, but when it does, you will get pretty cool smooth hair effect.

Without Multiresolution:

With Multiresolution:

As you can see it lost any sharpness by becoming smooth. Don’t forget to apply modifier before add particle effect.

2. Add Particle Settings.

Just add Hair particle to hair model with those settings. Also don’t forget to enable “Advanced” mode on them:

Now we gotta set hair up to make them look combed. Don’t use Particle edit mode. Go to Velocity section and set it up like this:

You can change Hair Lenght, if hair will look too long. I changed it to 0.05. Next Change render engine to Eevee and set this:

Now back to Cycles lol, Idk how to enable Strip in Cycles tbh

Go to particle setting, find there Hair Shape and set up Diameter Root to value which will suit like this:

Hair just become thinner. Find section Children and switch None to Interpolated. Here you can see what happens:

More hair

3. Comb your hair.

Now finally you can comb hair into Particle Edit. First cut excess hair. It can take a while. That’s what I got:

Now you can comb them by Comb tool as you want. But don’t overdo it, or else your hair will look too straight like wet, to avoid it you can use Puff tool sometimes.

But I’m gonna leave my hair like that. When you’re gonna render, make sure that your pc isn’t potato or else it will burn. Jk, actually rendering it just will take more time. Whatever this is what I got after hour of ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ making this in blender:

If you have any questions or issues reply on this post. Show your GFX by tagging me on DevForum or Twitter (@Lie_StarIsChill). I’m gonna give you some positive feedbacks or retweet. Feedbacks on my first tutorial are very appreciated. Character used: @jertdeer. Goodluck! :blush:

58 Likes

Awesome & thanks for the tutorial. This is literally looking releastic!

5 Likes

finally someone made a tutorial about it, thank you

3 Likes

tysm this tutorial was very helpful!

2 Likes

so real its scary :flushed:

jokes aside i will be using this in the future

1 Like

Honestly, if you won’t be so lazy like me, you can get pretty nice effect lol

2 Likes

This is very cool! I will be using this on my gfx although how would you do this on other hats? For example bunny ears.

2 Likes

Try to make all the same, but with small hair length

2 Likes

Wouldnt that require ALOT of particles thought since the hair is smaller?

2 Likes

Just use children, it will make everything look fine itself

1 Like

Oh my god this is so much simpler than any other methods I’ve ever used. Amazing! Thanks a lot.

1 Like

That hair looks insanely realistic lol, anyways great tutorial!

1 Like

great tutorial ngl the hair looks yummy tho :flushed:

2 Likes

what?

This text will be blurred

1 Like

you wouldn’t understand and again

1 Like

Best tutorial ever! Really helped me, I’d love to see some realistic UGC hair using this method.

1 Like

Amazing tutorial might try that

2 Likes

Woah that’s so cool thanks for the amazing tutorial :blush: Keep it up :wink:

2 Likes

This actually looks pretty nice! What software are you using in this photo?

1 Like

I used Blender

(characters limit)