Creator AMA (RDC 2024) with Nick and Tian [September 19, 2024]

Will the new “Communities” Shown at rdc fully replace groups? or will they be a new tab under the group? Will it replace the groups as we know? could there be any way to keep groups as groups instead of communities or will that be forced?
If it’s forced, will the communities have same features the groups currently have?

I know the BanAPI was briefly mentioned during RDC 24 but I got a question that could probably use an answer. Currently, in order to bypass the alt detection, you can simply use a VPN and a new account. Will Roblox consider hardware UIDs for alt detection in the future?

3 Likes

With that in mind, could we have a section in the configure page to put tags relevant to the game into? So users don’t have to in the description?

I was very excited about the Studio Luau File Sync Beta feature announced at RDC 23, and I’m disappointed that it still hasn’t been released to this day. I know you both addressed this during RDC 24, and the new timeline is “Late 2024,” but I’m a bit skeptical about this timeline given what has happened so far.

Could you provide more details on the current stage of development for this feature and what work remains? Can we realistically expect it to be released later this year, or is there a chance the goalposts will continue to shift?

3 Likes

Will audio assets be uploadable from in game?

Thrilled to see that UGC Creators on the marketplace are still getting more features, like the analytics (one of, if not my favorite thing to be announced at RDC24!) I see that “Avatar Item Thumbnail Improvements” are slated on the roadmap, and I’m super excited to see support for a feature like this built into studio!

How do these improvements look specifically? (e.g. Does this mean that the rules regarding thumbnails will change at all, such as how much of an item must be shown in the thumbnail? Will we get a native tool similar to Onogork’s plugin UGC Makers Toolbox which won the Innovation Award for Best Plugin this year? Will we get the ability to control layered clothing’s thumbnails?)

Thanks for that question! Enrico also answered this at length at the economy AMA earlier this year, so I’m copying most of his response below. But one key thing that we announced at RDC this September is that we plan to make a shopping template available, which should make it easier for everyone to build a shopping experience and earn the affiliate fee. This should be coming soon.

6 Likes

At last years RDC, the CEO of Roblox mentioned that he would be open to a pay what you want system for plugins. Is this still the case?

I can’t benefit from it since Roblox prohibited under 18s from selling plugins but I have a few friends that would greatly benefit from it.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Thanks for the question! We are testing occlusion culling now in select experiences, and our goal is to roll it out to everyone very soon. You won’t have to do anything to enable it–it will just work. The improvements can vary a lot based on your experience, but in our testing, we’ve seen up to a 35% improvement in frame time on some of our most resource-constrained devices. Your mileage may vary, as many creators have already implemented their own optimizations. In some cases, your optimizations may be better than ours, but I think in general, the less optimizations you’ve already implemented, the more you’ll benefit from our automatic occlusion culling.

As mentioned in our keynote, we paused work on the voxel lighting grid to focus on improving performance and stability. We think that was the right tradeoff, but we’re excited to get back to work on the new lighting system as we think it is a great visual step forward for many devices!

16 Likes

How will the recently announced “avatars in marketplace” cut work?
Will the creators of the avatar item get 30% cut on their items? how much will the creator of the outfit/avatar earn? would be quite unfair for the outfit maker to earn 40% while the creator of the items earn 30%, so how would that work? how will the fee be split to make sure everybody makes a fair share of money?
would the creators of items get 30%, outfit maker 10%, affiliate 30% and roblox 30%?

2 Likes

We’re testing it right now and, pending any issues, will be rolling it out to all experiences over the next month or so. We’ll post on the DevForum once the rollout begins. It’s fully automatic, and you won’t have to do anything to adopt it.

5 Likes

This is something we are really excited about. We’re hoping to make this change by the first half of 2025. Thank you for the question!

3 Likes

Are there any plans for paid access experiences to gain premium payouts, private servers, and console support?

1 Like

Any update or ETA on Server Authority for character movement? This is a much needed feature for competitive games. This was very briefly mentioned at RDC and more information would be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

Is it possible to have UIBlur, UIShadow or other common elements for effects & what is currently preventing Roblox from adding it for creators? Roblox already uses some type of blurring mechanics for certain parts of the CoreUI

5 Likes

Will occlusion culling work inside of Roblox Studio while editing an experience?

6 Likes

With the proactive moderation announced at rdc that helps finding copyrighted material UGC accessories and clothing and automatically delete it for you, is there any chance we could get self served removal for UGC character bundles?

I don’t think copyrighted assets will be really removed automatically. It’s a huge legal hoop to act on copyright issues before the copyright owner / agent asks to do so.

1 Like

Really great question. Our goal is to provide creators the transparency they need to optimize the discovery of their avatar items on the Marketplace. A recent change we made to help avatar items get discovered is Today’s Picks, which is a curated selection of items that updates every day. We shared our selection principles with the community back in July.

We also announced at RDC that community-created avatars will be coming to Marketplace in the coming months. When that happens, we will introduce new ways for creators to get discovered on the Marketplace. We will have more to share as we get closer to launch.

4 Likes

Are there any plans to support the .SVG file format? This would be great for reducing quality loss with different screen resolutions and may be more performant!

2 Likes