Creator Roadmap 2023: End of Year Recap

Please tell me this means we can have wave heights higher than 1!

Something I am worried about with this new physics thing is that the memory allocated to the server remains the same, meaning that we’ll have less memory for scripts because the physics processing is going to use a lot more.

25 Likes

So, what’s your point…?‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

22 Likes

banning is a evil corprate thing to do

24 Likes

If creators want to offer something more with subscriptions than solely finite content (like access to cars), such as granting currency per month or cash/XP boosts, you have to handle refunds some way or another.

I think your objection is primarily emotionally based (“banning feels harsh”). Remember that chargebacks are meant as last-resort to defend against scams, not as a natural feature to trial content. If you refund a subscription due to a scam, you probably won’t play it again either.

Roblox terminates you as well when chargebacking Robux / Premium. It’s simply necessary to safeguard reputation and avoid flaws.

Maybe it sounds harsh to a player, but try to relate yourself in the picture of a game developer. It may make sense then. For now, since this is an emotional statement, I’m not continuing this topic here.

26 Likes

No statements about improving ugc and its moderation? How come they still plan to release public ugc when there are several IP infringing assets, archive scams, 1:1 copies of existing items and in even some cases explicit and inappropriate ugc. How do you guys plan to efficiently moderate ugc if EVERYBODY has access to it? Is roblox not in trouble with some investors trying to sue roblox recently for its lack of efficient moderation? I have so many questions and concerns.

28 Likes

There are many great things on this roadmap, however, like others have mentioned, the current state of UGC and a possible solution isn’t really mentioned at all whatsoever. Many players truly value the market and its accessories… I feel better marketplace regulation should be a higher priority or at the very least mentioned in the roadmap.

The only thing mentioned in regards to moderation is better tools to manage intellectual property:

However, this does not whatsoever address the poor moderation when it comes to uploading, nor does it address copies of Roblox made items. Better moderation in my opinion is an absolute necessity for the market in general especially if you plan to push out public UGC. Creators being able to upload literally anything as long as it’s split into a couple separate items is a huge issue.

Also whatever happened to this?

The marketplace is a complete disaster, thousands of 1:1 copies of famous Roblox items, copies of other creators items, copyright infringement of huge corporations from Disney to Nickelodeon, and even NSFW items. I, and many others are disappointed that there hasn’t been a statement regarding this issue. At the very least mention it in the roadmap. To many of us it seems you guys have simply given up.

16 Likes

While this year had some questionable releases, all in all, with respect to new features, it was definitely a great year.

Here’s to many more :clinking_glasses:

18 Likes

no like literally all they gotta do is delete the first half of the page of these and it would already put a huge dent in the problem.

(update literally 5 minutes ago LOL)

19 Likes

Will there ever be an update to things such as

New footsteps sounds that you can have on your avatar that you can customize in games

Updated terrain water may have more properties such as underwater caustics, more underwater effects, Smoother swimming movement, and better water texture.

A newer lighting engine with more post processing effects maybe…? No…? Oh okay… I guess…

18 Likes

No no no no no don’t even think about it you already screwed up bundles don’t make it worse

19 Likes

This is more than the top of the Fortnite players in the day they released OG Fortnite, EVERY DAY :hushed:.

Anyway, I like how many updates were this year to help developers even more :clap:

I would just a better algorithm for getting small games have more active players, I hope something like this happens in 2024

20 Likes

It’s always sad to see time fly by so quickly, and here we are bidding farewell to yet another year, friends, and good people in our networks. However, we’ve had some great new features added and a growing community that I’m proud to be a part of. Every time I read about these topics, I feel a sense of warmth and nostalgia on the cold winter nights, giving me hope to believe in my choices and this fantastic community.

I’m thrilled about what you guys have come up with in 2023, and I’m even more excited to see what’s in store for us in 2024! In particular, I’m looking forward to the new features you’ve announced, such as breaking down language barriers, automatic chat translations, and in-experience translation feedback. I hope that the Arabic language is supported, as I’ve noticed that Arabic characters are now supported in text labels, text boxes, and even the AI Assistant! (Arabic is written from right to left, so we had to reverse the word order so that it’s readable, but now we won’t have to do that anymore.)

The announcement of the Banning API is also very exciting news! It would be fantastic to have the ability to ban cheaters’ IPs without having to set up manual modules to handle banning. (Note: we can only ban players, not IPs yet i guess.)

Thank you for all of these great features and for creating such a cool community!

18 Likes

I guess this could be like an emotes-style feature, but most games will prefer to override footstep sounds with custom ones.

I agree, and I hope that some major revamps to the “water” terrain are done with the fluid dynamics update. If they’re adding the ability to change grass heights in certain regions, why not add the ability to have different colors of water?

I feel like Future is Bright is “good enough” for an engine like Roblox. Sure, it’s not anywhere as impressive as other game engines, but it can get the job done. And there’s actually a good amount of post-processing effects already available: https://create.roblox.com/docs/environment/post-processing-effects

17 Likes

I still think there’s a misconception among the community that Roblox is responsible for taking down all UGC with copyrighted material.

Let’s take some Five Nights at Freddy’s UGC for an example. You’ve probably seen some ripped-off UGC somewhere on the catalog, yet it seems that no items have been taken down. The reason is that Roblox doesn’t know if the owner of FNAF actually wants to take them down. As far as Roblox is concerned, the owner of FNAF could have made an agreement to let UGC creators upload FNAF content.

Instead of complaining about Roblox, you should instead be emailing the owners of copyrighted material and notifying them about the breach. These owners will then respond (since they are the only entities that can do so), and Roblox will notified and asked to take them down.

The problem is not that Roblox is just being lazy and watching it happen. The problem is that none of these copyright owners know (or care) that their items are being uploaded. They haven’t filed a strike, so how can Roblox know that they want a takedown?

TL;DR: Roblox is not lazy, just email the copyright owners about any copyrighted UGC.

17 Likes

I think the fact that creators and only creators are responsible for getting items infringing on IP taken down is actually a big issue, especially with public UGC on the horizon. The number of copies in existence right now is appalling and UGC isn’t even public yet. In order for creators to keep copies of their original work off the market they will have to relentlessly file DMCAs, the amount of DMCAs that will need to be filed once public UGC comes out is hard to wrap my mind around.

Another thing that this doesn’t really address is the thousands of copies of items created by Roblox. The only one who can get these copies taken down is Roblox themselves, and their moderation is far too poor to handle that which is probably clear if you are at all familiar with the current state of the marketplace. Also, many of the items that are being copied were marketed as “limited”, “unique”, and “collectible”. At this point that just seems like false advertising and it’s pretty scummy to let items that were pushed as collectible and unique for over a decade get copied and plastered all over the marketplace. It is unfair to the players who put time and effort into getting the original items.

There are many issues with the marketplace and these issues shouldn’t fall on the community. There should be a better first line of defense, so creators don’t have to file loads of DMCAs every week. The fact any item can pass through moderation as long as it’s uploaded in multiple parts is also a huge issue. NSFW items are a huge issue. The simple “file a DMCA report and we’ll take it down” approach doesn’t work for a problem this big anymore. Roblox needs to make some big changes regarding moderation in my opinion. I don’t see how public UGC is remotely even possible at this point in time. The last thing I want to see is the whole marketplace turn into the classic clothing section, but sadly that seems to be right where it is headed.

11 Likes

Hello,
Is it just me or nothing was mentioned about UGC becoming public?
Everyone is talking about how public UGC is on the horizon but the last update is when it was pushed back from November this year to Early 2024 .
Ever since I haven’t heard about an official update on that.

Have you?

13 Likes

I highly doubt that there could ever be such a system. A moderator could not possibly have every single copyrighted work in their head, and they couldn’t know whether someone actually got permission for something or not.

This isn’t like Youtube, where copyright infringement in audio and video are fairly easy to detect (and even then, entire pirated movies can slip by). Companies still have people actively policing Youtube, looking for copyright infringement and manually filing DMCA takedowns.

Additionally, it’s not even their responsibility by law. (Note: Not a lawyer, do not take serious advice from some random guy on the internet).

13 Likes

I agree that a system like that is next to impossible to create, especially with the amount of uploads that there will be during public UGC. That is exactly why I think things need to be completely rethought, as I don’t see how executing public UGC won’t result in the marketplace plummeting into a complete disaster. Roblox should have thought this through a bit more before pushing out yet another half baked feature. At the very least, they should have a better system for reporting and taking down UGC that violates TOS.

9 Likes

With current monetization it is hard for asset authors to even get back the money invested in developing the asset.

Lets do the math for a sample asset:

• The asset is listed at 800R$. Roblox charges $10 for a user to buy this much Robux.
  • Roblox takes a 30% cut leaving 560R$ for the author.
  • Roblox currently offers a developer exchange rate of USD 0.0035 per Robux. So that means the author makes a profit of: 560 x .0035 = $1.96 USD per sale.
  • So roughly 80% of the $10 the user spent goes to Roblox. That’s not a lot of money making it back to the author.
11 Likes

That’s a huge amount of people wasting time idk why they advertise that lol i also don’t know why I just realized that

11 Likes