Creator Roadmap 2023: End of Year Recap

Hi everyone,

Nick and Tian here! It’s hard to believe 2023 is coming to an end… A lot has happened and we’ve been blown away by all the incredible things you have built. Your experiences brought over 70M daily active users to Roblox last quarter and users spent a whopping 16B hours in experiences. We’re doing this together, and we appreciate all the feedback you give us as we work towards an exciting 2024. And, before we end the year, we have one last Creator Roadmap update to share.

Launched features since RDC 2023

Since RDC in September 2023, we’ve launched many highly anticipated features such as Editable Mesh and Image APIs in Studio, the beta of Assistant, and the Roblox app on Meta Quest and PlayStation. We’ve also been working through our bug backlog, closing 700+ of your reports since September. We have been addressing some of your biggest pain points, including adjustable grass height, UnreliableRemoteEvents, and Secret Store for HTTPService (Beta). You can check out the complete list below.

New roadmap items

Our teams have added more than 30 new features to the roadmap. We continue to listen to your feedback on the forum and are working hard to bring you improved asset monetization, an overhaul of group revenue, and new tools to help you manage your intellectual property.

We’re also providing new ways for you to push the platform’s limits with upcoming improvements to our physics, CSG (Constructive Solid Geometry) system, and AI-powered texture generation. You can check out the full list of new items below.

Delayed roadmap features

As we’ve mentioned, sometimes things get delayed. Below is a list of features we hoped to launch in 2023, that are now scheduled for next year.

Lastly, we’re working on scheduling another AMA in 2024! We will have more to share in January!

We hope you have an amazing holiday season and a happy new year!

See you in 2024 :tada:

Nick & Tian

Launches since RDC 2023

Create however you want

Grow and engage your audience

Benefit from a growing creator ecosystem

Creator Hub is your key to success

New Roadmap Items

Create however you want

• Create rich and lifelike worlds
    • Improved Physics Solver : New and improved physics solver that enables more complex mechanisms and makes existing mechanisms more robust. [2024]
    • Fluid physics improvements: Improved hydrodynamic forces and more realistic water behavior [2024]
    • Improved debuggability of the Physics system: Improve the ability to debug physics in Studio by visualizing force/torques, overhauling the pause functionality, adding the ability to step through physics frames when paused, and adding the ability to temporarily simulate selected parts in edit mode. [2024]
    • CSG on Meshes: Perform CSG (Constructive Solid Geometry) operations like Union, Intersect and Subtract on Meshes in Studio and in-experience. [2024]
    • Marketplace price floors: Improve price floors for items in the Marketplace to help grow creator earnings. [Early 2024]
    • Marketplace search and recommendations: Improvements in Marketplace search and recommendations to create a more seamless shopping experience. [Early 2024]
  • Generative AI accelerates creation
    • AI texturing: Text to texture generation to re-style your 3d meshes. [Early 2024]

• Break down language barriers
    • Image Translation: Automatically translate text inside images while matching the style and feel of the original image. [2024]
    • New Regions: Shipped support for four new locales on platform by the end of 2023 - Indonesian, Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese. Will add two locales in 2024.

• Roblox Cloud helps you scale
    • Improved delivery of 3D meshes: LoD (Level of Detail) generation for your meshes will be much better and continuously improve over time. More optimized delivery for 3D meshes to reduce client asset download times. [2024]
  • Balanced safety and moderation
    • Tools to manage Intellectual Property: New centralized place for developers to easily manage the intellectual property rights of their creations. [Early 2024]
    • Ads brand safety and suitability controls: Give advertisers brand safety and suitability controls for Immersive Ads to give more control over where their ads will be shown. [Early 2024]
  • More ways to earn and advertise
    • Immersive Ads video ad format and reporting: Launch the video ad format for Immersive Ads to provide advertisers with new ways to express their ideas and provide new opportunities for publishers to earn. [Early 2024]
    • Improved Ads targeting: More targeting options for advertisers to reach people interested in specific genres and other dimensions. [Early 2024]
    • Subscribe within experiences with Roblox Credit: Users can purchase subscriptions within experience with Roblox Credit, in addition to the saved card payment method offered today. [Early 2024]
    • Expanded Subscription API functionality: Allow developers to access more information on subscriber status and subscription analytics. Subscription APIs will also be available on Open Cloud. [Early 2024]
    • Subscription promotions: Enabling devs to run promotions on subscriptions (e.g. free trial or discounted first month). [Mid 2024]
    • Subscription description updates: Safely enabling the ability to edit and update the description of active subscriptions. [Mid 2024]

• Learn, connect, and create with one another
    • Expert tutorials in Dev Forum: Roblox staff can create articles and guides in Dev Forum about existing features, platform insights, and more. This is a new genre of information to share with creators beyond feature announcements and canonical documentation. [Early 2024]
    • Updated Experience Templates: Re-releasing some experience templates with much needed updates. [Early 2024]
    • Tutorials available from inside Studio
  • Notifications and personalization keep you informed
    • Notifications delivered to Creator Hub: Easily stay informed about important updates anywhere on Creator Hub with notifications. [Early 2024]
  • Collaborate more effectively as a team
    • Overhauled Group Revenue: Pay out collaborators directly within Creator Hub, and define more granular percentage splits by revenue source rather than total Group revenue. [Early 2024]

Delayed to 2024

Create however you want

• Easy creation, optimized for your ideal workflows
    • Next Generation Studio Ribbon [Early 2024]
    • Window Context Cues [Early 2024]
    • Studio Luau File Sync Beta [Early 2024]
  • Create rich and lifelike worlds
    • Mesh & Image APIs in experiences [Early 2024]
    • Audio APIs [Early 2024]
    • Future Lighting Android Beta [Early 2024]
    • Future Lighting Studio Default [2024]
  • Engine can support any type of experience
    • Custom Logging [Early 2024]
    • UI Styling [Early 2024]
  • Generative AI accelerates creation
    • Code Assist Full Release [Early 2024]
    • Material Generator Full Release [Early 2024]
    • Community-led Marketplace [Early 2024]

• Break down language barriers
    • Automatic Chat Translations [Early 2024]
    • In-experience Translation Feedback [Early 2024]
  • Empower immersive communication and expression
    • Updated experience controls: Consistent and adaptive experience controls that make it easier for users to find their most frequently used action. [Early 2024]

• Accelerate creation through community-generated assets
    • Additional Spam & Plagiarism Protections [Early 2024]
  • Balanced safety and moderation
    • Alt account detection [Early 2024]
    • Banning API [Early 2024]

• Learn, connect, and create with one another
    • Docs Available in Studio [Early 2024]
  • Actionable Insights
    • Session Time for New vs. Returning Users [Early 2024]
  • Collaborate more effectively as a team
    • Creator Groups in Creator Hub [Early 2024]

See the full Creator Roadmap here.

568 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

Thanks again for your renewed commitment to being more transparent about the roadmap! I’m incredibly excited by a fair few of these things, not least image translation (I don’t even know where you’d begin with that!). And an even better physics solver? Roblox’s physics engine is already world-class; I hesitate to imagine what exactly this new one will unlock :exploding_head:

Excited to hear about how these projects get on, and hopefully they can make it through from research to production!

233 Likes

2023 has been AMAZING for Roblox! I’m personally still really excited about the new Audio API, I can’t wait to hear (ha) more about that in the future!

(As soon as it comes out, I plan to try and make a global voice chat system so we can have proper “team chat” systems on top of existing proximity voice systems!)

160 Likes

Finally, we don’t have to use a website, thank you

Surprisingly, the roadmap doesn’t mention anything about studio new UI. I guess that must be next next year.

131 Likes

I don’t see “Dynamic Filters” listed anywhere on this list. This was originally on the creator roadmap and was expected to be released this year. It was put on hold back in August, but now it is not even listed anywhere.

Are Dynamic Filters not coming at all? Is this going to be removed from roadmap entirely? This would have been a great solution for boosting game discovery by being able to find game based on tags or genres and it’s not even being mentioned anymore. It’s really disappointing and I know that many people were looking forward to this feature.

125 Likes

It’s been a crazy year for Roblox, hope 2024 will be even better!

121 Likes

Glad that subscriptions with Robux is finally acknowledged! Need to say though, why does it have to be overly complicated with Robux Credit? If only Robux can be converted to Roblox Credit, how does this cloned currency improve anything? I can only see worse UX and an even worse cut for developers.

In the ideal world - let’s say you would respect that devs also deserve earnings - the creator can set both an USD price and Robux price (with 30% cut). If the creator doesn’t want to support USD, they deserve the freedom for that.

As creative as this Roblox Credit system may be, it’s so unethical to try to conceal your hidden cuts and fees.

And worse of all, Roblox Credit will always be more complex than Robux → worse UX → less subscriptions sold

Does this include an API for refunded subscriptions? I want to be able to ban players on refund, it’s a dealbreaker right now.

A refunded subscription means that the buyer used the card without consent, or that they want to abuse the system intentionally. Both cases should have permanent consequences.

117 Likes

broken link formatting, whoops

These two features would benefit greatly in some way from these two suggestions, for the former, it should be possible to add custom templates to Studio so it can be better tailored to my workflows if I need to set up a lot of systems on a new project.

For the latter, user-created tutorials maybe?

I know plugins dont get a lot of love around here, but here’s a summary of some features that could hep in that space

• StudioStorageService - can locally save instances into the Roblox install folder and can have basic loading rules based on experience and place ID
    • the LocalAssets folder already exists so?
  • Cloud settings - moving between computers and losing all of my plugin settings is a bit of a headache
  • Undockable Widgets - maybe not QWidget levels but basic features such as making a window unresizable and undockable
87 Likes

Fairly interesting roadmap.

Translation for text INSIDE images?
Oddly enough haven’t thought of that before, I’d imagine that uses some neat AI tech, I seriously wonder how that is going to look.

Audio APIs [Early 2024]

Eyooo? Will we be able to create synthesizers and DAWs inside Roblox? :eyes:

Banning API [Early 2024]
Alt account detection [Early 2024]

No wayyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeyyyy, we no longer need admin scripts or to log user IDs in a datastore manually?

92 Likes

Beautiful work Roblox! Looking forward to what 2024 brings!

78 Likes

Anyone else notice Roblox quietly removed the upcoming tags/genre filtering with no notice?

It used to say on hold but now it is completely gone. Would like to have Roblox explain this.

File syncing is completely gone as well (which I was looking forward to)

It is not no longer on the roadmap at all, with no explanation.

Please explain what is going on here!

Edit: The issues have been resolved, thanks Roblox.

92 Likes

Luau file-syncing is still on the roadmap. It’s been delayed to just early 2024. Apologies, we missed adding it to the “Delayed” section, will update now. re filtering - it’s not removed. It’s still on hold. You can find it on the roadmap: Grow and engage your audience>Powerful search and browse>Dynamic filters.

90 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like this either. Why can’t we just use our Robux directly? It feels like going back to TIX and Robux situation, where it will create confusion, and just complicate things in general. I would like to know why Roblox credit is considered over directly using Robux.

78 Likes

Thank you! This will make building so much more flexible!

70 Likes

Hi! Tyler Hopf here, Design Manager on Studio. You can see on our roadmap that we’re working on a Next Generation Studio Ribbon (top menu bar) to make it easier for you to find the tools and plugins you need for your workflows. This is that new Studio UI, just described differently. We’re committed to ensuring Studio’s design evolves to best suite your needs. We’re planning on launching this in the first half of 2024!

86 Likes

Great to see! Keep these updates coming.

66 Likes

I believe it would be great if Roblox Studio could include a feature that supports documentation comments in Lua, similar to what I’ve observed in the Lua Language Server for Visual Studio Code.

Edit: I’m talking about the annotations feature along with general Markdown documentation.

71 Likes

What exactly does it mean by simulate? Does this mean I could apply linear velocity to a part in edit mode and it’ll work like you’re playing the game? If so I already having something useful this would be for… it would be to so I can update the speed of a train in edit mode to move it to different curves so I can build around curves and stuff.

What exactly do these mean?

64 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the clarifications!

69 Likes