Creator Roadmap 2023: End of Year Recap

There isn’t even that many hours in a year

12 Likes

Occlusion culling is still on the roadmap for 2024. It’s under: Create however you want> Engine can support any type of experience.

13 Likes

There are two roadmap items that will help with files syncing and integrating with 3rd party tools on Creator Roadmap under Create however you want>Easy creation optimized for your workflows

• Studio Luau File Sync Beta - Export/import scripts between Studio and disk, so that you can use any IDE or version control system. (Early 2024)
  • Engine Open Cloud API Beta (Scripting only) - Use Open Cloud APIs for cloud based workflows or external IDEs. We’re starting with scripting but plan to expand to the entire data model. (Early 2024)
13 Likes

Hi ModernDev,

With respect to your question regarding “simulate” - the short answer is yes, you will be able to “turn on the physics engine” for a short period of time while in edit mode for selected objects. This means that if you have applied a LinearVelocity constraint to an anchored object such as a train, set a non-zero VectorVelocity, and applied sufficient MaxForce, you will have the ability temporarily simulate the train and have it move based on the VectorVelocity and time it’s simulated.

Hopefully this is what you were envisioning and find it very useful!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
M0bsterLobster

13 Likes

Yay thank you!

You forgot (or didnt see) to answer the other question at the bottom

8 Likes

Thank you for the information, I have a couple of questions:

Are you guys planning to introduce a new Lighting System rather than Future? (Future is really good and everything, But i feel if Roblox wants to expand their platform for adults, They need to attract them with good graphical games. And a new lighting system would be perfect.)

• New Post-Processing Effects?

• Higher Texture Quality?

11 Likes

The same argument could be made for meshes, decals, Youtube videos, and even Roblox games themselves. Surely, all of these allow mass amounts of copyright violations that even automated systems can’t clean up? There may be some issues with public UGC, but as long as Roblox has a functioning legal department, this is not one of those issues.

11 Likes

Hey @SWEAD15!

We are planning to introduce a new lighting system, but it’s actually meant to be a better fallback to Future lighting. Currently Future is very expensive in terms of performance and the majority of Roblox players can’t run Future on their devices. This new technology will look much more similar to Future than our other lighting systems, while also being more performant than Future. With the new technology, much more people will be able to experience high-end lighting. This new system is also necessary for us to be able to further optimize Future and do other lighting improvements that will improve general lighting quality in Roblox (it’s all connected!).

We don’t have anything to announce regarding higher texture quality for now. We will be making engine improvements in 2024 that could make it more viable and it is on our minds, but it is not explicitly in our plans at the moment.

We don’t have plans for new post-processing effects, but happy to read feature requests if you have any in mind you’d need!

22 Likes

Gonna throw in my two cents to all this, since I was reminded about it not too long ago: Lego Universe bankrupted itself trying to aggressively moderate every single asset its players created. Roblox is already a lot larger than that game ever was. There’s a certain point where properly moderating everything is just not possible, automated or not, and I firmly believe Roblox passed that point a year or three ago.

8 Likes

We can agree to disagree. For a lot of players a healthy marketplace where items hold value, exclusivity, originality, and uniqueness is important. As for the thousands of copies of Roblox made items, the whole trading community basically got back stabbed. Marketing items as limited and unique, having a valuable portion of the player base invest time and effort into getting these items that were marketed as limited and unique, then proceeding to let said items get copied all over the marketplace for cheap is a scummy thing to do.

I get your point that it’s practically unavoidable, but that’s exactly why I think the whole UGC vision needs to be rethought. A marketplace full of copies, NSFW items, and copyright infringement, shouldn’t be the standard. That’s just my opinion. The DMCA approach isn’t a bad approach to getting items taken down, but there needs to be some way to better prevent direct copies getting uploaded in the first place. I don’t know what that would look like, but I feel stopping blatant copies shouldn’t fall only on the shoulders of the community.

10 Likes

Here are the full descriptions, let me know if you need more clarification

• Custom Logging - Allowing you to pass error locations through pcalls (Early 2024)
  • UI styling - Stylesheets make it possible to change the look and feel of your UI with one click. They work with 3D content, too. (Early 2024). For UI styling, we actually previewed this at RDC if you want to take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1xqdWOi8k&t=740s
14 Likes

Bring Roblox to Nintendo Switch and PSVR

9 Likes

I feel like there’s a “reverse” survivorship bias going on here. In the UGC catalog, 99% of items are probably fine and look great to add to some outfits, and then we have the 1% of rotten apples (copies, NSFW, etc).

It’s a lot easier to make drama on things that go badly than things that go normally, so despite the seemingly large reports of low-quality and counterfeit UGC, most of the market is healthy and actually useful for most players.

However, I do agree that the current 2D shirts/pants catalog is a huge example as to why public UGC could be bad. I hope they mean that applications are going away, but there will still be a phone or ID verification check to prevent bots or bad actors from trashing the catalog.

9 Likes

if this is the case, then should it not be easy to moderate these bad apples? It seems like they are basically up indefinitely with a few exceptions

9 Likes

You absolutely make a good point. Don’t get me wrong, UGC isn’t all bad and I actually think it’s a great idea, but it just needs to be executed correctly. However, there are still some serious flaws moderation wise. Yes, if you go to the marketplace you won’t see all the 1:1s, you’ll see rip-offs here and there but that’s about it. It’s if you toggle “show not for sale” where it really shines.

The image below is only a fraction of the items uploaded by just one group. There are many groups just like this one currently profiting off copies via USD or Robux.

If you are at all familiar with Peak UGC you probably already know how many exact copies actually exist. I am not exaggerating when I say there are thousands. It’s already a pretty significant issue that is negatively impacting many valuable players and creators. Most of my worry stems from the stagnant state of moderation. With thousands of exact copies of famous items in existence, new ones uploaded every single day, and only a few deleted every month, this seems like a serious problem. If it’s this bad with famous items I can’t imagine how bad it could be for less notable items that are more easily glossed over.

My main point here is things already need to be improved drastically, I can’t imagine how bad public UGC is going to be if it’s released without major changes. Right now basically anything can be uploaded, especially if the uploader just slices the item into a couple parts. This is NOT how it should be. Something needs to change, whether it’s an improved moderation system for uploads, or an improved report and removal system, or better yet both, things can’t just stay the way it’s been without the marketplace turning into even more of a disaster than it already is.

12 Likes

I disagree with the last reply you had, mainly because FIB has too many bugs, and not to mention the fact that the PPE are almost all not really that useful, wish they had Chromatic Aberration…

5 Likes

Will the new system have global illumination like the one showcased in a hack week from like 2018? It looked really good. Will it also have smaller voxels for lighting or will they stay the same size?
Edit: i found the hackweek video. It is from 2019. Here it is:

19 Likes

that sounds amazing tbf, but I’m going to have to bump the post processing effects again, they’re really needed for many games including my own, and with it, it could improve graphics even more than you could imagine. All we need is simple things too that shouldn’t take up too much power to run, for example, adding a simple grain filter could make a horror game look better. But yeah, keep that in mind, I doubt this will make that much of a difference to your decision on it, but just remember, it would be an extremly helpful feature. Keep in mind that it is one of the most requested features.

8 Likes

I doubt it, there is no viable solution for global illumination on mobile, because currently mobile players couldn’t handle it. But it’d be amazing if they did find a solution, oh and regarding voxels, we really do need smaller voxels, for that and terrain.

8 Likes

I mean, there is a voxel based global illumination method that roblox could implement. Currently voxel lighting has size 4 for a voxel which isn’t super precise but it works. So i think, if it would be optimized then maybe mobile players could put their graphics to atleast 3 with still having 60 fps.

10 Likes