Creator Roadmap - AMA with Dan and Manuel [Jan 24, 2024]

Greetings! Here’s my question:

For many years, developers have been cut off access from CoreGui, reasonably since it may cause a lot of security issues. Though as Roblox grows and the engine becomes more capable each year, the menu generally stays the same and it may lead to some inconsistencies.

Like for example, one game would have a medieval theme, with its custom UI design to fit it. But when the player opens the menu, because it has a completely different theme, things feel off and inconsistent.

Another thing is that, developers might want to add custom settings for their game, like custom graphic options, music and sound options, etc. But unfortunately for that, they have to add another UI inside their game. This may also create confusions.

As the platform grows and the engine becomes more capable each year, we should be able to have more control over some of the CoreGui elements. I agree there can be very important security issues, but there are many proposed solutions that can eradicate these said issues.

Thanks!

7 Likes
  • Tools to manage Intellectual Property - New centralized place for developers to easily manage the intellectual property rights of their creations (Early 2024)

As we may know, there are some bad actors who copy/clone other’s experiences on Roblox. (Ex. Brookhaven and Pls Donate)

Will this tool help developers take down experiences that copied their own experience(s)?

9 Likes

Will the ui styling extend to Roblox core gui? Currently it looks out of place in a lot of games.

2 Likes

With regards to Studio Luau File Sync Beta, there have been rumors circulating amongst developers and staff that Roblox is working on a Protocol Buffer (“protobuf”) based file format for places and models.

The purpose of protobuf is to enable multiple community tools to easily process these files without having to maintain multiple ser/des implementations, as is the case with the current binary (RBXL/RBXM) and XML (RBXLX/RBXMX) formats in tools like rbx-dom, rbxmk, Lync, and others.

The Question: If we are to see this new file format incorporated into Roblox, will it be added alongside the Studio Luau File Sync Beta, and if not; where on the roadmap can we expect it to be added?

Thanks for the AMA!

7 Likes

When will we have a way to apply to become a regular member on the forum. I’d like to request new features to be added to the platform, but currently, it is not possible. Bug requests also require additional steps to be noticed if you’re not a regular.

9 Likes

. When the new core top bar comes out to everyone in production experiences as anouched before the rdc Roblox made a new topbar with a calopase menu with experience controls like chat and leaderboard etc

3 Likes

What are some things you are working on to correct auto false moderations of textures/meshes/items?

Getting banned for a day or even longer can: often slow things down and is not convenient, can sometimes make you miss important events, impact your moderation history which is important for DevEx and a lot more.

Thanks for the extra transparency and your big efforts to make this platform better than ever!

5 Likes

Can we please get closure on the car company dilemma currently on the platform? We have had 0 closure by you guys on the moves going forward in terms of vehicle models. There’s many games in development, or are already out, that do not know what to do: custom models or stay with the debranded vehicles? Of course, going custom is always the safest option. Are games allowed to use debranded vehicles as long as it is debranded, not a gamepass/robux locked, and a different name? Or should we stay completely custom? I understand this might not be your area to answer, but an answer is better than no answer.

4 Likes

Are we any closer to the Studio revamp? It still looks like an outdated Windows 8 app. I liked that new design and Jn excited for hopefully a UI editor which doesn’t suck.

4 Likes

Will Roblox Brand Limiteds and Drops, and even the off-sale classic item go Limiteds for 2024 to finish the classics and to continue the Roblox Brand Limited Series? If so what is the future of real Roblox Brand Products and their direction for it, as the customer and users and the community wish for content to be on the Roblox Brand and to be tradable as well under the Roblox Brand only, since UGC Limiteds do not follow the same stuff. I am looking forward to the return of Roblox Brand Limited products and would be willing to spend Robux on just only those. I don’t support UGC Limited. Ever since the end of 2022 many marketing opportunities have been missed and Roblox has not taken advantage of it so far. It was flatlined since July of 2023 when this question was still out in the open and in limbo about the direction of High-Quality Marketing on Roblox.

Here is the question again:
Will Roblox Brand Limiteds and Drops, and even the off-sale classic items go Limiteds for 2024 to finish the classics and to continue the Roblox Brand Limited Series?

10 Likes

what happened to roblox making offsale items limited ?
The current roblox economy is extremely dead.

10 Likes

Good afternoon my friends:

I want to raise two topics as my questions for today. I know it says try to limit your message to one question, but I have two questions that are both very important to me.

First, I’d like to ask about the “Powerful search and browse capabilities” category on the road-map. Ultimately, I assume this is just about improving the search algorithm for experiences.

My question for this is: when will these search improvements come out?

Before August 2022, my experience was the 8th listed experience when you searched for “army” and then it mysteriously disappeared from that search term, despite other, much smaller games still being there. This led to a huge decrease in the amount of new players my experience got. To this day, it still doesn’t show up, even if you scroll thousands of tabs down. Improving the search algorithm, as you can imagine, matters to me a great deal.

Secondly, I’d like to speak about the “Balanced safety and moderation” section, or what isn’t listed there. I see there is no mention to an improvement on appealing bans or giving out bans in general. I’d like to lend my small presence here to suggest this be considered for the future. In 2019, my account which I had used since 2011 onwards got terminated falsely out of no where, and I’ve been trying to get it fixed ever since. I’ve sent over 30 appeals. To this day, though, I’ve not been able to get it fixed nor have I been able to speak to anyone from that team about it.

I suppose that my question would be whether or not there are plans to consider amending or improving the appeals process, giving developers an easier or more fast tracked method to appeal things, etc.

Thank you very much for your time.

2 Likes

Got some question related to UGC program, since this year you will allow a lot of people to upload just like those that applied into the program.
So will we have a better item control page/better options??

We should be able to delete our own items FULLY off the platform. I understand that refunding causes roblox a bit of an issue when it comes to this, but we could have the creators pay out of their own pockets? or remove their pendings off the specific item?
We really need to have a way to fully remove our items off the platform, and while i understand concerns from people if their accounts get hacked, i trully believe, we need this, and we could have like 2 step, and email confirmation, as well as a 1 week timer to cancel the item deletion, in case of a 3rd party trying to delete items.
So is there any chance we might see that coming in the future?

2 Likes

Archiving is a feature that’s used on meshes and images in order to hide them on the website. However said feature can also be used on the meshes and textures of ugc items to effectively delete them. Is there any plans to patch this feature being abused on ugc items which effectively allows people to scam the people who bought it (when an item normally gets deleted you get refunded the robux you paid for it, but when a ugc item is archived, you can’t use it nor do you get the robux spent on it back)

6 Likes

When can we expect to see the voice chat API? We were told this was in the works in April of last year, and haven’t gotten an update since.

1 Like

What happened to dynamic skies and its development? It was absolutely so amazing but It’s disappointing that anything like updates didn’t happen ever since for years, I still miss it.

5 Likes

Will there be a better version of the decoration system (grass) such as our own models that are procedurally placed similar to how it was demonstrated in the RDC when it was first announced?

1 Like

How would Vietnamese support be added if the font they use for the user interface [Gotham] doesn’t support every vietnamese letter?

Will Roblox add Arabic support?

When will Subscriptions contain the Robux version?

1 Like

We continue to investigate where we might place new datacenters with an eye to improving latency for users across the globe. That investigation so far has shown that networking in South America is tricky - the countries don’t interconnect well. For example, a datacenter in Brazil would not serve Peru particularly well. Thus the utility of the datacenter becomes limited.

That said we’re still looking at it and balancing how we improve latencies for a large community while also ensuring those servers are well utilized.

19 Likes

Byfron has done an amazing job combatting exploiting on the platform, but it’s still a bandaid solution to the underlying problem which is Roblox overly trusting the client for things such as movement. There was a brief mention at RDC about server-authoritative character movement, has there been any progress on this?

2 Likes