Creator Roadmap - AMA with Dan and Manuel

Will the discovery system be updated? A while ago the search tool has been reworked and ALL games I’ve ever contributed to don’t show up when searching for them for hours which extremely hurts retention and impressions. The requirements to be featured have also been increased. When can we expect to see improvements towards distribution of our creations? Including UGC, animations, audio etc. Or atleast why was this change made… it seems to be very difficult to promote without a tons of hoarded robux or an already established fanbase. How can we promote beyond that then? Since for people to checkout stuff we made on roblox they need to register on the website to see more than a preview and that only applies to some stuff on the web page :confused:

3 Likes

Hi Dan and Manuel

I know that part of moving forward to connecting the whole world is automated translations, however, as someone who does actively translate on Roblox, using the Translator Portal is like self-torture. A lot of things either don’t work, get spammed by bad actors or need specific conditions to work. There is nothing that helps translators identify what text specifically triggers auto-moderation and in many cases we’re left to the mercy of the filter updates.

Are there any plans to make the Translator Portal more user friendly than it currently is? There is a focus group for translators that I am part of and at this point it has been pretty much abandoned.

Roblox is a great platform and I’d love to support developers who choose to localize their experiences, I just hope that we can get better in-house tools in the future.

3 Likes

Please- if you’re unable to answer the question right now, please just say so. We just want to know our complaints on the percentage split are heard, not given copy/pasted messages. As it is, the UGC creators are just getting more and more frustrated.
Please, treat us like the valuable assets Roblox claims we are.

13 Likes

What is the current status of custom icons for the the entirety of studio and not just the explorer? I really don’t like the current icons and I would like a way to change them, and I didn’t see anything related to it on the roadmap. From what I have heard, the ribbon icons use QT, and I’m not knowledgeable on that framework. The last I have heard about this was from this comment from an admin.

4 Likes

Check out the answer in the question about future support for files and about the creator marketplace. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Can you please reply to this or at least say no if you don’t know as we have been waiting weeks for a response

3 Likes

We are excited about the prospect of external source control for our Roblox projects. However, we also need support for CI/CD processes that enable us to efficiently build, test, and run our Roblox game files. Currently, our studio relies on a nightly build of our game through CI, but we face significant challenges in achieving this due to issues with authentication, forcing us to resort to workarounds that includes setting the RBXID, using a VPN just to avoid invalidation of the ROBLOSECURITY cookie. Let alone running the game where we need to use an abundance of tools such as run-in-roblox, roblox-win-installer and etc.

We would greatly appreciate improvements in this area to streamline our CI/CD workflows and avoid these cumbersome hurdles.

2 Likes

Will there be any upgrades to the skybox system? I’ve always felt like the skybox system was lackluster and outdated, especially with the very rough transition from sunlight to moonlight, the lack of custom night skyboxes and lack of reflections at night. Looking at the recent weather-related updates like wind and clouds, this would be a logical next step to take.

5 Likes

Are there any answers for this?

Said that perfectly. That response, the vague, cookie-cutter response is what I despise about the support emails and by extension Roblox. That is what needs to change. The word salad.

Maybe there’s a quota or something Roblox staff is held at gun-point to. By gun-point, I mean their jobs. Maybe it’s a c-level/c-suite issue. Idk, but I don’t think any developer enjoys it.

5 Likes

I realize I put all of my questions into one post, but I’m wondering if at least part of it can get a response?

Mainly in regards to shaders / GPU API or monthly updates on already announced features (and preferably whichever future features can also be announced). But I believe everything mentioned there is important.

2 Likes

Some of the big posts that were either unanswered or ignored at this time were:

:+1:

21 Likes

I want all questions answered just as anyone else. However, I just wanted to say- if we want effective responses, they need time to do so. It’s two people responding to like 100 questions.

3 Likes

My post literally has only 10 less likes than Roblox’s post itself, yet there’s been no response to it. I hope there will be a response to it later, because it would be extremely ironic for a top-voted post highlighting the lack of responses to top-voted issues to recieve… a lack of a response, on an “AMA” thread meant to help address this problem.

24 Likes

Feels sad that the most wanted questions never get answered

It’s back to screaming at a wall and hoping for answers

Dev awards, limiteds all should be answered
Two people isn’t a lot but it seemed weird when these are the most liked posts?

4 Likes

This is in the settings? I mean, for example, it is in the settings and says activate translation on messages, and then put your language, is this thing in the settings?

2 Likes

Our company is currently very bottlenecked due to all of the bugs we run into in studio, the code editor being one of the biggest. Each developer loses at least 30 minutes daily working around (or just complaining) about issues. With a team of dozens of people, this really adds up to a lot of lost time & money.

Last year at RDC this was brought up as one of our biggest pain points as well and we were told it would be addressed.

It is concerning to be here a year later, still running into the same issues, being told we will hear only an announcement at RDC. How can we appropriately plan to scale our business when we are unsure if it will take another 1-2 years to get developers a working code editor?

10 Likes

When will we be able to use the water material on parts? I don’t like terrain because it has no precision

Also, water can only have one wave speed/wave size/color for the whole place which is limiting

Follow up question: will underwater fog ever be a separate property from water transparency?

5 Likes

If anyone wants a summary of what’s already been asked and answered, here you go:

Summary of the Creator Roadmap AMA (June 2023)

7 Likes

Hi @Noble_Draconian - Thank you for your feedback and for the examples. This is very helpful as reflecting on specific details provided will serve to help us improve. Based on the engagement of your post, many community members echo your sentiment. We need to get this right.

Some of the issues have been addressed in the thread above such as the plugin share and our work to improve discovery. We want you to know that we hear your feedback and will be taking it back to our teams.

What really stood out about your post is your sentiment around communication and a robust strategy for feedback being key to our success. We couldn’t agree more. Respect the Community is a core tenet of Roblox. We haven’t always gotten this right and many of the examples you have shared we have discussed in-depth to make sure that we are on the right path moving forward. The purpose of this AMA and the Roadmap is to help serve this goal and to foster trust with the community with improved communication. Specifically, we created a key objective for the Creator Group to track our progress holistically as it relates to improving communication and trust with the community. We are monitoring this daily and there is broad visibility across Roblox now about this effort. In fact, that’s how the Creator Roadmap came to be. We hope in the months to come you will observe less examples of feedback gone unheard or unaddressed. In the past couple months we have closed more inbound forum bugs than were opened, which is a small but meaningful indicator of progress.

Thanks again for serving as an important voice of the community and keeping us honest. We hope to hear from you again, and we hope you see the efforts we are making for the community.

23 Likes