Creator Roadmap - AMA with Nick and Tian [Oct 4, 2023]

While we don’t currently have plans to offer these specific options, we’re always looking for ways to improve our tooling. Could you share more about what you’re trying to do, and where you’re facing challenges today?

2 Likes

You said something like adding ai movement and animations does this mean motion matching, and are you planning to make plugin creation lower level or adding more features such as the ability to edit built in UI and tools like the animation editor rather then making new ones from scratch.
Because I want to have a ton of features added buts it’s impossible so maybe giving power to creators rather than having to do it yourself is a good idea?

1 Like

Are there plans to hide models under the Creations tab of profiles? This was asked in a previous AMA, but nothing was done since. There is no option to hide the models section currently which can lead to leaked assets and updates.

1 Like

Improving testing in Studio is one of our key objectives for 2024, and we are planning to improve our emulator workflows so that creators can have a more representative idea of how the experience will run in a broad spectrum of devices in production. If you have specific bugs (and it looks like a few of these that you mention are) feel free to direct message and we will get on it.

Network Speed/Ping can be simulated via Studio settings > Network > Diagnostics > Incoming Replication Lag.

6 Likes

Hyperion is coming to Windows UWP shortly, which will make a major dent in current exploits. After release, we’ll continue to work to improve Roblox’s anti-cheat solutions so that everyone has positive, exploit-free experiences.

6 Likes

Respectfully, we don’t need or want a post talking about the algorithm. There are many sources like this by Roblox already. (Documentation, the forum, and RDCs.)

Edit: To reinforce my point, I have created the following resource: My Current Research on the Roblox Algorithm

We need responses to what’s been said by the community. We want to see what we are saying is not just heard, but actually listened to. (That means responded to effectively.)

Larger point, but also an aside.

There is a lack of communication from a variety of teams and individuals at Roblox. Maybe that’s the goal or idea, I don’t work at Roblox, but I’ve been studying the company structure and whatnot for a while. I’d like to see more of a democracy, one where the community has more of a say in where this platform is going.

Roblox would benefit, in my mind, expanding Developer Relations and/or the Creator team. The idea here is to include representatives, those who advocate for the community, on every other team at Roblox. Maybe that’s too much, but we need something.

Another idea would be to have monthly meetings or AMAs or something that resembles the investor meetings. Of course, we have RDC, but I mean something more casual and online. I’m not sure what specifics should be in place, and I wouldn’t want to make anyone’s job harder, but what we have right now isn’t working from what I’m seeing. I’d love to do that btw, advocate for the community inside the company of Roblox.

None of that all matters though if not all teams at Roblox listen to the community. (again, that means responding to us.) If there’s no response, if there is nothing publicly available to see, then who’s to say someone even saw it?

4 Likes

We don’t have any current plans, but are considering what we could do.

We are increasing visibility creators have of their experiences in production through Creator Analytics, and client-side memory usage is a good one for us to consider. The Microprofiler in engine should be helpful for more detail of memory consumption, and we are interested in doing more. Please let us know what sort of tools you would most like to see.

2 Likes

We’re aiming to have a beta out before EOY and can’t wait for you to try it.

4 Likes

Before this thread gets locked, here’s a summary of the thread:

Summary of the Creator Roadmap AMA (Oct 4, 2023)

At the time of posting this, I’m still editing in more replies.

2 Likes

Hey All, thanks for the great questions. We’re locking down the post to new questions now but will be working through and replying to more of the existing questions.

4 Likes

our goal is to enable developers to use whatever tools and workflows make them effective. we intend to provide an immensely powerful and innovative toolset in our Studio, but are also opening up our platform to make integrations with 3rd party tools easier.

3 Likes

Could you let us know what capabilities you’d like/what you’re struggling to achieve now? We’re not actively working on it but happy to listen to requests and reassess.

5 Likes

there is only speculation about when audios can be made public that being 2024 could we have an official date? its been 2 years of silence and only hints of a potential date. any information on the topic would be greatly appreciated

2 Likes

We think our upcoming flex layouts feature, which provides responsive UI layouts across devices, will help a lot with this. After you’ve had a chance to try it, please let us know if it’s not meeting your needs.

6 Likes

Our long-term goal is to have excellent automatic tuning and optimization of features that adapt to the unique capabilities of the end user’s device, so we have no plans to extend the graphics settings for the client.

4 Likes

Yes!

Most of our effort to date has been focused on shipping the Universal App on all existing Roblox platforms (and a few new ones). With the release of the universal app for Playstation and Xbox on 10/10, we will finally have all Roblox clients leveraging a single Luau codebase to power the app experience. The massive technology forklift is done!

The interesting thing about technology forklifts is that you generally spend a ton of resources changing stuff under the hood, but with the intent that the user experience doesn’t change. Now that we have an aligned codebase across all of our supported platforms, we expect the pace of user-facing changes to accelerate dramatically. We already plan to ship a bunch of improvements to the homepage, search, social features, and the in-experience controls and UI.

8 Likes

At RDC, we shared how we’re working on style sheets, to allow you to change the look and feel of your UI–and 3D elements–with one click, along with flex layouts, to allow for responsive design. If you could wave a magic wand, what one improvement would you like most?

4 Likes

great question; we are aware of this gap and, as announced at RDC, in Q4 we will be launching the ability for creators to track sales and revenue for each avatar item.

3 Likes

yes. long-term we intend to expose all available AIs through Open Cloud, similar to other Roblox services. right now we’re focused on ensuring the quality is high and we are working to reduce costs so that the feature will be appealing to the largest set of users.

6 Likes